[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How was the EU even possible?. For me as a dude from SA is really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
How was the EU even possible?.

For me as a dude from SA is really puzzling to me how they manage to get this thing started, given how nationalistic people are over here.
The are groups over here trying to do the exact same thing as the EU, but for me is crazy because there is no way your overage argentinian or Chilean would accept somebody from like brasil telling him how should his country be.

So how did it got started?. Was it like bribe thing where you were promised amazing economic growth in exchange to submitting?
or it started as just as trade agreement and after that the EU became more powerful and demanding?.

Or were countries straight out lied to?
I mean politicians should have said something way back in 1993.
>>
>>61338865
There was a big war and people became traumatized and didn't want to fight anymore because everybody lost. This was a good ground for international cooperation
>>
>>61339228

This is false. It's because America slapped them some sense into them. Without USA they would be "taking revenge" from each other forever
>>
>>61339285
Also, they were afraid of the Soviet Union.
>>
In the beginning the EU was basically the same as NAFTA, it was just about trade.
It inevitably went to shit because they started to change laws of the lands.

>>61339228
False, that is all the work of NATO.
>>
>>61339285
America just poured money there and slapped Germany. Then again Germany slapped everyone else and got slapped by USSR even harder.
>>
File: 1360581763884 (1).jpg (135 KB, 689x1023) Image search: [Google]
1360581763884 (1).jpg
135 KB, 689x1023
>>61338865
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solemn_Declaration_on_European_Union
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maastricht_Treaty

there it is, everything explained
>>
>>61341589
and I quote:
>"The Heads of State or Government, on the basis of an awareness of a common destiny and the wish to affirm the European identity, confirm their commitment to progress towards an ever closer union among the peoples and Member States of the European Community."

conclusion: The EU was founded based on a common vision by all of its members
>>
>>61338865
the whole point is to prevent war and injustice, europe had just come out of ww2, germany was occupied, france was improving, usa gave moneys and the union was formed to help improve the central countries that formed it (france, west germany, italy, belgium, netherlands and luxemburg) that had been devasted by the war
south america never had any major wars between countries, only internal, so this will never happen for real in south america (mercosul is not the same)
>>
>>61338865
also wtf makes you think anyone is "submitting" or that the eu is "demanding"? the countries are a part of the eu willingly. they can leave whenever they like. the uk just did. no one is forcing anyone to do anything. the whole point is cooperation and friendship.
>>
>>61338865
if you were wise you would have made a spanish speaking american union, which would be a superpower.
>>
>>61341952
they are not wise. for some reason they actualy think there's a difference between a peruvian and an equatorian. they're all the same.
>>
>>61338865
Because the only thing europeans hate more than submiting to other europeans, is to submit to non-europeans.
>>
>>61341772
It won't happen because everyone hates us, and we have a love-hate relationship with uruguay (we love them they hate us), we kind of get along with hues
>>
LOL no one was actually asked about it.

In the UK it just "happened". Successive governments just gave away powers to the EU without actually asking the people. They finally ask the people and immigrants and deluded millennials are the only people that support it.
>>
>>61342063
>says the german
>>
>>61341772
NATO stopped war in Europe. The only conflict the EU had to resolve was Yugoslavia and they fucked it up resulting in 1,000,000 dead. The situation only "resolved" when American-led NATO forces took control.
>>
>>61342178
>They finally ask the people and immigrants and deluded millennials are the only people that support it.

48% of your country (well more of that now, since you have to count in all the reatrds who "voted out because I didn't think my vote would matter") is immigrants and deluded millenials?
>>
File: consider following.jpg (21 KB, 366x324) Image search: [Google]
consider following.jpg
21 KB, 366x324
>>61338865
there was that time germany tried to have fun and 60 million people died leaving europe in ruin

there was also uncle Stalin around the corner

So people came up with idea of union free movment of people and goods
to stimulate rebuild and make countries and populations so inter connected war would not be possible between them and together they could stand up to world powers like ussr
>or Chilean would accept somebody from like brasil telling him how should his country be.
you realise that eu parliment is elected by all mamber states
>they tell us what to do
is meme

and commision bossing around is new thing and every one hate it
but down to the line commision cant do shit but bark they cant for example force us in to quotas of rapfugee because they have no such a power
>>
>>61342274
By that logic you have to include all of the people who voted in and regret it too.
>>
>>61343012
I'd wager a whole internet that the number of brexiteers who changed their mind is much larger than the remain voters who did the same.
>>
>>61342256
nato stopped war but didn't create any political intrument to prevent further war. europe has been in wars since forever, with the eu that stopped
>>
>>61343344
They "changed their mind" because the media is blasting OY VEY ITS ANOTHER SHOAH like 24/7
>>
>>61346057
>europe has been in wars since forever, with the eu that stopped

So Switzerland, Norway or Russia are war-torn countries because they're not in the EU?
>>
>>61346388
>Russia
great example you have there mate
have you been in coma for last 10 years?
>>
So many people talking out of their ass without knowing a shred of EU's history here.
>>
>>61342178

Are you first worlders this ignorant about your own history?

The UK WAS LITERALLY the only country that held a referendum just after It entered the EEC, in 1975. And +70% of your people voted yes, that they wanted to be a member of Europe.

Calling that the "EU just happened lol" is fucking retarded and makes me wonder how do you even manage to be this uneducated while having everything in your favor.
>>
>>61346643
Russia is not at war, I don't remember Russian being invaded or anything since 2006.

Unless you mean it's waging war out of its borders... in this case France, the UK and other EU countries are at war perpetually (Mali, Afghanistan, etc.), maybe even more than Russia.
>>
>>61338865
The answer is capitalism.

Certain people stood to lose a lot of money if Europe remained unstable, so they organised and started working to phase ideology out of politics. The rich had an utopia of their own, an Europe governed by business minded people who understood the needs of wealthy capitalists and made sure that laws and treaties didn't create obstructions for the flow of capital. The idea that little people should just do what they are told and trust the elite to govern. The European Union is not a project by the people, for the people. There is no 'people'. The EU was created by corporate lobby and the politicians who serve them. And they were able to do this because democracy as you know it is at best ceremonial, we are not trusted to govern ourselves. The people who rule us do not even want us to be able to govern ourselves. They don't even let us work for ourselves.
>>
>>61347746
t:20 or so old who has never lived before EU or Finnish boom.

Yeah fuck off
>>
>>61347454
>they wanted to be a member of Europe

1. The EU is not "Europe", you don't "become a member of Europe".

2. Back then the EEC was not like a superstate trying to push its own laws and its own agenda, it wasn't either a tool of German imperialism, and it hadn't a ton of poor shitholes in it.

Brits didn't vote for this abomination under its current form. And when asked, they voted out, not in.
>>
>>61338865

jews wanted it done, so they all bent their asses and it was done

simple as that
>>
>>61347917
What I am talking about dates back to postwar 40s. Hell, you could say it's been in motion since the 17th century but was only able to really blossom in the last century because of technological acceleration.
>>
>>61338865
People were less nationalistic back then, tired of two consecutive massive wars and slaughter, rape and pillaging that went along with it.

Now people have forgotten and are taking the peaceful cooperation for granted.
>>
>>61348204
Something like the EU isn't necessary to enable peaceful cooperation.
>>
>>61346388
>Switzerland
Literally neutrality the country.
>Norway
Yes they can totally invade the whole EU and aren't pretty much included in most trade agreements for bigger price.
>Russia
Is still kind of a super power in status and still invading shit. If Ukraine was in EU Crimea would still be theirs.

You don't understand that Europe is the land of border tensions with too many countries on a small bit of land.
>>
>>61338865
Economic reasons.
Its a good deal if they focused on that, but the dictation of politics is npt wprth it.
>>
>>61347733
but with eachother, not against eachother. there's a difference there.
europe shall prevail forever.
>>
>>61342256
>1,000,000
Why hello there, dear Nigel. Why don't you link me the source for those numbers?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.