[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of books do English speakers use for learning English
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: voice.jpg (321 KB, 682x689) Image search: [Google]
voice.jpg
321 KB, 682x689
I wonder what books?
>>
>>60982970
People do not need books to learn their native language.
>>
we read homoerotic fan fiction
>>
>>60983203
!? You guys don't study about the grammar?

>>60983250
Was ist das?
>>
>>60983494
No, English grammar isn't complicated enough for native speakers to need books on it.
>>
a question
why is it "something to do"
instead of "something to be done"?
>>
>>60982970
Murphy.
>>
>>60985863

Give context/sentence.
>>
>>60986081
simply,
"I have something to be done" sounds grammatically apter than
"I have something to do".
to me.
>>
>>60986232
both make sense, the first just isn't commonly said so sounds unusual.

However "I have something that needs to be done" sounds fine.
>>
>>60986406
Thanks, and I still think "something to do" is logically strange.
For, as in the context of "I want you to get home.", the one who gets home is "you" while in "I have something to do" the one who does something ISN'T "something" but "I".
>>
>>60986644
those sentences are completely different grammatically, why would you compare the two
>>
>>60986920
>different grammatically
really?
I learned "to do something" can be usually translated to "doing something".
>>
>>60987482
I can't really follow your thought process famalamdingdong
>>
>>60987482
>Mary looked out the window and considered the Jewish problem
>"something must be done about it" she muttered to John
>He looked up from his book and replied
>"Don't worry my dear there are people doing something as we speak"
>Surprised Mary said "but what is there to do, what can be done to stop them doing harm to our culture and finally put an end to their tricks"
>With a cold look in his eyes John stated "we will do what must be done, and in doing so secure the future for our children"
>>
>>60983203
these are the same people who write 'there' or 'their' instead of they're or 'your' instead of 'you're'
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.