[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image1157-1024x1010.jpg (170 KB, 1024x1010) Image search: [Google]
image1157-1024x1010.jpg
170 KB, 1024x1010
I watched a film Kori Kotok. I was impressed with the poetry and culture I decided to search online hoping to get more info.

Surprisingly all I am getting are stories from various Latin American websites.

What is it about the Yorubas that the culture has survived in almost a dozen Latin American countries simultaneously?

Brazil, Cuba, Uruguay, Argentina, Haiti, Venezuela, Trinidad and Tobago, and the United States

http://yorubanation.net/atlantic-yoruba-and-the-expanding-frontiers-of-yoruba-culture-and-politics/
http://www.howard.edu/library/reference/cybercamps/camp2002/YorubaFaith.htm

Some of these countries even practice some of the lost cultures in Yoruba land itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Pld1UWXcE
>>
it has to do with how portugal deals with slave populations and they were one of the last groups
it is also likely the earlier slaves just identified with it
>>
>>60639935

Portugal wasn't in Venezuela, Uruguay, Cuba etc though.

It's crazy how these languages and cultures still exist after hundreds of years of isolation. I also saw a documentary on Dutch TV about a Ghanaian Dutch TV presenter going to Suriname and being able to speak his language to descendents of the maroon runaway slaves.
>>
>>60640695
nor the spanish mayhaps
>>
>>60639632

It's like 1%.

99% are protestants or catholics.
>>
>>>60639632
Yorubas are like weeds, you never can get rid of them.
>>
>>60640881
>implying Umbanda, Candomble and Santo Daime practioners don't also see themselves as Catholic often and those who don't officially practice don't utilize particular practices, charms or rituals

>>60639632
Obeah is Igbo influenced.

Some cultures were more resistant to christianization. I imagine the Yoruba enslaved having long dealt with Islam and Islamic jihads found retaining traditions more important and likely in the last slaving nations of the new world.

Fon were major influences as well.
>>
>>60641131

Not anymore. When they go full protestants, they go full christian.
>>
>>60641386
i knew some brazillian woman researching it back in the 70s who said they'd seldom admit or tell anyone that they were practitioners of things like Candomble
>>
File: HYI.jpg (66 KB, 750x400) Image search: [Google]
HYI.jpg
66 KB, 750x400
>>
>>60641967

You don't know anything. Protestants here are radical as fuck and conservative. The liberal ones are catholics.
>>
>>60642154

Protestants also leave the church and go full atheist
>>
>>60642284

This too.
>>
>>60641065
are you really from Nigeria
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.