[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can /int/ tell me about the Occitan language and Occitania
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
What can /int/ tell me about the Occitan language and Occitania in general? Is it really dying out? Are there efforts to revive the language? What's the best city in Occitania?
>>
>>56562428
>Is it really dying out

Not anymore. There is a preservation, only a handful of people teach it to their kid from the start (I only met one guy who had learned it that way) but I know many schools that teach in Occitan only, several radio programs, tv news and newspapers, lot of associations for people to learn the languages...Also pretty much every school in my region has it in option (provided it's not lost in a 50 people village) and although not many people chose it the classes always managed to be full enough. There's also some smaller stuff like bilingual street and city signs, in my city the voices in the metro are in French and Occitan...
So basically it's not something people learn like they learn to speak French in the first years of their life, but it's not endangered either.

>What's the best city in Occitania?

Wew I really don't know it covers a variety of very different cities.
>>
>>56562428
There's a place in Spain that speaks it.
There used to be a namefag on here from there, Val something can't remember his name.
>>
>>56562428
Also I forgot to tell, that is objectively one of the best flag ever
>>
>>56562672
Do you ever see it gaining some prominence again in France? It just seems like the French government is so hellbent on getting French to be the only language in the country.

As for the bilingual street signs, I've seen them in Nice, that was my first interaction with the language in it sparked an interest. And yeah, the flag is definitely great

>>56562725
Yeah, Val d'Aran in Catalonia. Surprisingly, Catalonia is the only place where Occitan enjoys a level of official recognition
>>
>>56562428
Has anyone from Occitania ever posted here?
>>
>>56562428
15% of the native population speaks Occitan here.
>>
>>56562916
Yes, one guy from Val d'Aran and this guy >>56562672
apparently
>>
>>56562937
>see flag
>think you're from Indonesia until I mouse over

Anyway, is the language any useful at all in Monaco?
>>
>>56562916
>Occitania
Real language with lots of variations, but "Occitania" is an arbitrary appellation for the geographical area that speaks it. It covers lots of different regional identities and histories.
>>
>>56563017
Only language that is useful in Monaco is money.
>>
>>56562868
>Do you ever see it gaining some prominence again in France?

Unless some real shit went down for example ended up with France fragmenting and people clinging to regional heritage instead, rejecting French things the way the French government rejected the regional languages, I doubt it.

>>56562916
I live the Languedoc region which is a part of the region called Occitania. The borders are kinda blurred anyway, it never was one single country and even within Occitan there are several dialects.
Something like more than a third of France is considered Occitania so with all the French posters here you bet we are several
By the way recently there were fusions between French regions and new names will be chosen, the polls are high toward something with Occitania for this region
>>
>>56563294
What do Occitanians think of the French language? Or do they prefer the Occitanian language?
>>
>>56563341
Nothing, it's their mother tongue. Literaly no one here speaks only Occitan, as I said a few people teach it to their it like at home while they learn French at school but they are really rare
So I can't really answer, they are French, sometimes proud of their region but French before the French language is natural.
Also even if most of the south is Occitan people usually feel related to their region (Provence, Languedoc, Aquitaine etc) more than to Occitania as a whole. Especially since each region has its version of Occitan basically
>>
File: Mont Caroux _ haut-Languedoc.jpg (174 KB, 1600x433) Image search: [Google]
Mont Caroux _ haut-Languedoc.jpg
174 KB, 1600x433
>>56563430
>teach it to their it

To their kids*
I'm tired as fuck
Pic is from my region, decorating the thread with more or less Occitania related pic
>>
>>56563477
How's Toulouse?
>>
>>56562428
>What's the best city in Occitania?
Bordeaux, Aquitaine. But Basque Country is even better.

The South East of France is shit.
>>
>>56563510
It was ok, now it's Casablanca 2.0.
>>
>>56563584
Overrun with muslims? Damn, are all the major cities in France like that?
>>
>>56563017
Occitan is the most irrelevant language in this entire region m8, irregardless of country.
>>
>>56563606
Yes

The safest are Rennes, Nantes and Bordeaux, but there are still full of Arabs.

Marseille, Toulon, Nice, Béziers, Perpignan, Montpellier, Avignon, Saint Etienne, Mulhouse, Le Havre, Lille, Toulouse are already Arab cities.
>>
>>56563567
>The South East of France is shit.

Yeah no
So yes of course cities are flooded with muzzies and tourists but the countryside, the pre Alps and the Alps are excellent places

>>56563510
I'm living here right now, not from here but I'm supposed to study here
The historical center is pretty nice, it's comfy, the climate is good and if you have a car it's near enough beautiful places
But the other Anon is also right, it's not Paris/Marseille level but there are a lot Arabs and Blacks of all sorts. It's not striking when you are in the old town, in the touristic spots, but outside of that most of the residential areas have too much muzzies for my taste

>Damn, are all the major cities in France like that?

Pretty much yeah, even if it doesn't mean life's shit and you can't go out at night. Not denying the problem but I want to nuance the memes, several times people have asked me serious questions about France that sounded like they were genuinely frightened to come kek
>>
File: Cathedrale-St-Nazaire-Beziers.jpg (761 KB, 1489x993) Image search: [Google]
Cathedrale-St-Nazaire-Beziers.jpg
761 KB, 1489x993
>>56563744
>Béziers

Born here, I didn't live here but I can't confirm it's a shithole. Pic related it looks comfy but don't be fooled. The mayor is FN now, which can tell you people are pissed enough to live there. It's a shame it's one of the oldest city in France and could have some real good sides in a better world
>>
>>56563811
>but I can't confirm

But I can, I meant
God damnit
>>
>>56563753
I didn't say it was ugly. I said it was shit. Of course the region is beautiful that's why it's full of tourists and rich tourists who rent big houses when the average French of Provence is a poorfag in unemployment living in a commieblock.
>>
>>56563871
Well it's just that as long as it's beautiful I can't really bring myself to consider it shit (unless we're talking Africa tier shit but not yet)
I know what you mean though, costal Languedoc has a lot of similar issues even if our tourists are usually less fancy
>>
File: fr-toura.gif (15 KB, 325x217) Image search: [Google]
fr-toura.gif
15 KB, 325x217
Just a reminder that the Loire region is real France
>>
>>56562672
If I speak catalan, can I understand some occitan? or is it that different? because french it's impossible for me.
>>
Let's be honest, it's deader than dead, since Europe itself is dying. Why worry about Occitanian when no one in France will be speaking anything recognisable as French in 100 years?
>>
I'm more interested in French Flemish myself honestly.
Does any French anon speak it? I met only one so far.
>>
I'll just leave this here for a moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEJKG3zgW8M
>>
>>56567234

French is so much easier to read than hear...
>>
>>56562428
Occitania is basically the Langues d'Oc region, as opposed to the Langues d'Oïl regions.
Oc was the word people used to say yes in the south, and Oïl was the word used in the north.

Occitania has more important latin culture than the north, probably because it was closer to the roman empire.
>>
>>56567392

d'ou etes vous?
>>
>>56566361
This, my Finnish friend

t. a Tourangeau cunt
>>
>>56567502
Langues d'Oïl region, Brittany to be more precise.
>>
>>56568036
Cas plutôt à part, donc
>>
>>56568220
Bah pas vraiment vu que j'habite dans la partie gallo, c'est une langue d'oïl.
Quelques kilomètres plus à l'ouest et là j'aurais pu commencer avec mon "LA LANGUE BRETONNE"
>>
>>56568246
J'aimerais bien parler une langue Celtique...
Les langues Gauloises devaient être basées comme baise
Foutus Romains
>>
>>56567928
Je suis tourangeau aussi mon brave, je suis juste loin de la mère patrie en ce moment
>>
>>56568383
Le breton c'est pas une langue gauloise, ça vient de Grande Bretagne.
Les gaulois écrivaient pas mais en cherchant tu peux trouver quelques textes écrits dans les alphabets grecs ou latins, c'est mieux que rien.
>>
>>56562916
>Has anyone from Occitania ever posted here?
Considering it's the whole southern half of France, probably.
>>
>>56563744
>The safest are Rennes, Nantes
Is that a joke?
>>
>>56566361
The Loire region is an empty wheat field.
>>
>>56568507
>region of kings
>wine
>castles
>most beautiful river in Europe
>not liking the most charming countryside of France

Confirmé pour n'y être jamais allé
>>
>>56568548
J'y suis allé et j'y ai même habité. C'est à chier.

>most charming countryside of France
It's the massif central or Bourgogne, not the giant factory farm that is the Loire valley.
Also
>Loire wine
kek better drink hand washer
>>
>>56568646
>It's the massif central or Bourgogne

Stopped reading
>>
>>56568697
Sorry, some people prefer traditional houses to commieblocks.
>>
>>56568394
un Finlandais qui connait quelque chose de la France/qui en a quelque chose à foutre de notre pays m'aurait paru bizarre, aussi, pêh
Qu'est ce que tu fais en Finlande ? Tu parles Finnois ?
>>
>>56568421
Je sais que le Gaulois =/= le Breton
Je parlais juste des langues Celtiques en général
>>
>>56569182
En même temps si tu étais tourangeau tu te serais barré aussi.
>>
>>56569218
Je suis Tourangeau
Et je compte bien rester dans mon coin paumé, pêh
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.