[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How comes Americans of British heritage have split into two very
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1438814690875.jpg (110 KB, 647x972) Image search: [Google]
1438814690875.jpg
110 KB, 647x972
How comes Americans of British heritage have split into two very disparate groups? On the one side you have WASPs, rich, educated, the elite of the country, living mainly in the North East and the big cities. On the other side you have hicks in the South and in the Appalachian mountains who are basically the bottom of the barrel as far as White Americans go
>>
>>59894565
Its less the south is full of hicks and more just any rural area. Once you get into big cities they are more or less the same country wide.
>>
File: obesity_by_county_large.png (722 KB, 2311x1465) Image search: [Google]
obesity_by_county_large.png
722 KB, 2311x1465
>>59894648
>just any rural area.

Kentucky and W. Virginia seem to be pretty different from Montana or Wyoming, who are also pretty rural I think.
>>
>>59894565
same with Brits of British heritage desu. you got your average chavs that take up most of the country and the posh cunts that run Cambridge and whatnot
>>
Protip: Most Americans are of German descent, not British.
>>
>>59895729
Implying Anglo-Saxons and OG-Saxons are that different
>>
>>59895594
My experience in Texas is most of the redneck stereotypes are for people from small towns.
>>
>>59894565
less black and white than this

scotch-irish in appalachia, these weren't slave-owning racists though. slave-owning inbreds were descended from northern english indentured servants.

meanwhile the north was settled by puritans and educated persecuted religious folks.

>>59895729
germans didn't create the regional cultures except in the midwest. america's founding fathers in fact despised them for being swarthy foreign non-english.
>>
>>59895594
kentuckians were appalachians. they were already quite trashy but not full blown southern white trash.
>>
>>59895729

Many Americans of predominantly British descent just tick American in the census. Before this was an option, there were more British than German Americans
>>
The WASPs cane from Southern England, and the hicks came from everywhere else in the British isles.
>>
>>59895729
But thats wrong
>>
>>59896614

So the WASPs are real Anglo-Saxons + Normans and the trash are Celts? In Britain, does the white British under class look more Celtic (red hair, certain facial features) than the upper class?
>>
>>59897138
I don't know desu, I just made it up. But it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd probably agree that the under class here show more celtic traits than the upper class, but strangely the upper class has much more red hair in my experience.
>>
>>59897138
>>59896614

lol, geniuses
>>
>>59897375
Aren't southerners mostly irish and scotish? I think I read that here.
>>
>>59896614
that's somewhat true, most of the south is descended from northern england, northern ireland, and scotland.
>>
>>59894565
>On the other side you have hicks in the South and in the Appalachian mountains who are basically the bottom of the barrel as far as White Americans go

The south was poor as shit from losing the Civil War. Then shitty infrastructure cutting towns off until the highway system (same problem in Appalachia). I read from a university source that until air conditioning was invented people deliberately avoided the south due tot he humidity

Also Appalachians are ulster-scot heritage. They were sent to the frontier because they were considered lower than regular English. There was AFAIK also a meme at the time that Scots/Irish were a "Martial Race" like ghurkas and things, so were sent to dangerous spots or military

>>59897138
Irish were used as indentured servants. Also in the Caribbean colonies sometimes bred with the blacks
>>
>>59899427
>The south was poor as shit from losing the Civil War.
They were poor as shit before the war because industrialized society > slave society
>>
File: USA.jpg (401 KB, 1200x841) Image search: [Google]
USA.jpg
401 KB, 1200x841
>>59895729
German migrants settled the middle/west 2/3rds of the USA, not the east coast. Most east coast people who predate the 19th century are from the British colonies.

The Germans were brought into the midwest because they were considered some of the most advanced farmers, and the US wanted efficiency

Rough map

Blue = German settlement
Pink = English
Red = Finnish
Purple = Norway/Sweden
Dark Red = Ulster-Scot rabble
Green = French (from New France, later conquered by Bongs)

West is mixed I think but mostly German or existing American settlers
>>
>>59894565
Southerners are to Northerners as the Scottish are to the English. Given that the South was mostly settled by Ulster Scots, the comparisons are obvious.
>>
>>59900054
Explains their love for deep frying things I suppose.
>>
>>59899807
>tfw english *and* ulster-scot rabble

feels aight. my nana has these lovely english recipes that have been passed down for generations. i look forward to plum pudding every year at christmas. shit is so cash.
>>
Someone living in NYC today will live a very different life than a farmer surrounded by miles of wheat and corn, yet their ancestors entered the country from the Northeast.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.