[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good buy India
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
It was nice posting with you. I suppose you'll be all dead by the end of the summer.

>heat deaths across India. In some places, wet bulb readings appear to be approaching 35 C —

https://robertscribbler.com/2016/05/20/wet-bulb-near-35-c-heatwave-mass-casualties-strike-india-amidst-never-before-seen-high-temperatures/#comments
>>
>>59680810
Don't know.It was really cold this morning.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-21-13-18-10.png (119 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-21-13-18-10.png
119 KB, 720x1280
>>
>>59680810
thats not a heat wave u daft cunt
>>
>>59680810
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_temperature#Wet-bulb_temperature_and_health

didn't know about this indicator
>>
>>59680810
>implying indians living in heatwave regions won't just move to the UK and Canada
>>
.....we have a 30 degrees C as a normal weather here and -10 C winter as a normal weather, I dont see the big deal, there are a few days every year with a 40 and -15 C's as well but those are just few days, those arab countries have something like 50 during all summer, I dont see the big deal

just turn on ac or a ventilator and that's literally it
>>
>>59689166
Even if the average indian could afford air conditioning there'd be no electricity to power it. Such is the reality of India.
>>
>>59689416
>find a river (india has those)
>put a rotor (literally anything that would rotate) in there
>make the other side of the rotor a magnet
>put this spinning magnet inside a stator (literally anything that's not rotating) and line up a wire around stator

wew lad, I just made usable electricity, do this on a state level and you have it for a whole bunch of people
out of all the things to not have (such as space program), city electricity is really simple and easy (assuming average household does not have devices that use electric motors, those need a network of their own), and a ventilator isnt what I meant by electric motor, I meant stuff you see at factories

people who dont do electricity production think cities take a lot of power, but in reality they spend only 1-3% of all electricity produced, while factories and manufacturing plants use up 95%+ of it, a few rivers should keep all consumer electronics and lights in all houses running
>>
>>59682187
Where are you? Sikkim?
>>
>>59689658
>1-3% of all electricity produced, while factories and manufacturing plants use up 95%+ of it
I do know this though.

What I find hard to believe is that hundreds of millions of indian households and offices could have functioning ACs using crude hydroelectricity. Wouldn't all the rivers just get clogged by massive clusters of rotors or something?
>>
>>59690371
>clogging a river

nah, if it was a state level thing they could easily dig a hole, make a river fall on the huge turbine, turn a massive amounts of kinetic energy into a usable electric energy, and while this would be expensive, it would basically pay itself within 10 years because it's energy, you can use it to build other things that sell

t. certified electronic technician, computer science student, and a energy production enthusiast
>>
>>59691209
If it's that easy how come literally nobody in India is doing that? They're not all illiterate peasants.
>>
>>59691367
Hydro plants, while the most cost efficient in the long run, are the most expensive to set up.

You see, you need a fake lake (in case water freezes, which I dont know if it happens in India), bridge systems if boats use the river, giant nets that serve as filters because you dont want fish and corpses and pieces of wood falling on the turbine, various flood control mechanisms as well.
This all costs like hell but if state can manage to build one, and hold tight till it starts paying itself off, than it's all good.

I assume India doesnt have the initial funds, but hydro plants are extremely eco and econo friendly, so countries that have money often build the plants.
>>
File: OsJQjOe.jpg (102 KB, 504x353) Image search: [Google]
OsJQjOe.jpg
102 KB, 504x353
Dig underground heat shelters, you stupid Indian government. They don't even need electricity. Underground is naturally cool in the heat.
>>
>>59691558
There are environmental consequences though, aren't there? Not that indians would give a shit.

They definitely have the money. The government dumped who knows how much money into mostly useless nuclear plants as a front for their secret nuke program back in the day, if they really wanted they could fund it. They've been building all those dams too.
>>
>>59691558
If they had a lake they'd just dump corpses in it.
>>
>>59691757
Underground shelter requires ventilation unless you want to choke on your own carbon monoxide. So it requires power, just like regular air conditioning, but with a lot more costs...

>>59691812
Hydro plants are one of the cleanest energy sources since they produce absolutely no waste. You only use a river current, or gravity, to generate power. Water drops on the turbine and than goes on. Nothing gets released into the water.
Coal is the worst if you judge it by energy to waste ratio.

I am also a huge fan of nuclear energy but that one requires an insane amount of maintaining so if you want a 'casual' energy you should do hydro and if you have 'hardcore' people you could try to do nuke. So max out hydro first and go for the nuke if there is still a power need.

Solar and wind are meme energies, I could write an entire post on that.
>>
>>59692055
>Serbian education
>>
>>59692055
>insane amount of maintaining
Never do research on the conditions of indian plants.

All I 'know' about solar is that the panels will never make up for the total energy cost of producing them.
>>
>>59692161
If solar's too close to a body of water, water vapor reduces efficiency of Sun rays, if it's in a dry area dust/sand get in the way of rays, there's also day and night cycles, there are also seasons....
Did I even mention ozone layer, which also blocks out 2/3's of solar energy?

All of these problems are solved in space, and really solar energy is ideal in space, but here on Earth solar is a meme energy hyped by hippies and people who never ran a energy plant or have any formal education on the subject.
Big solar based companies tend to go bankrupt so there's that as well, if you know business you dont even have to know electric engineering to figure this out.
>>
>35ºC
>Heat wave
wot
>>
>>59691367
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-35888535

Because India is drying up.
>>
File: image2.png (505 KB, 563x751) Image search: [Google]
image2.png
505 KB, 563x751
>tfw you consider 35 degrees unbearable
It's hard to breathe and stuff like that. How would you even stay alive at 50c..
>>
>>59692511
This misunderstanding of op's article could've been avoided in argentinians were whiter.
>>
I wear hoodies in 35'c temps m8. Step it up.
>>
>>59692537
Not only that, but even the remaining groundwater is poisonous.
>>
>>59692549
We get a few reports of people passing out in the streets and medical people who go and pick them up are on high alert during 40 c around here.

I think you pretty much have to wear those white robes you see arabs wear, I think that's a way to go. We are lucky to only get a few days of 40, if it was constantly 50 we'd be fucked.
>>
>>59691757
>build turbine
>take hot air and run cooling tubes through the ground
>make energy to set fire/produce biogas from the poop
>use energy to expand underground base
>cheap labor
>cheap poop producers
>weaponize whatever's in the Ganges
>threaten world with biological weapons and have them colonize mars for you
>make them leave and travel there
>delicious Gulab Jamun planet is yours

On a more serious note I honestly wonder why my municipal government is spending money on a Biogas facility in my small town when they could do it in India without having to import waste. Why can't they just make a profit off that and give me some more NEETbux or something?

It makes no sense.
>>
>>59689166
You clearly don't understand what wet-bulb temperature means. And millions of Indians don't have access to electricity.
>>
>>59692790
Because having to bribe literally everyone would be too much on top of the normal costs.
>>
>>59692592
That's actually smart because it acts as a thermal isolation, since body heat can be lesser than that of outside if you arent working out.

>>59692790
Well, transporting electricity is... not very effective. You lose energy with every step of copper-zinc wire you use to transport it trough. Storing energy is a very big technical problem.

It's actually smarter to import waste and use it for biomass (growing trees for fuel), because while this would make less energy than directly converting gas into energy, it would generate more energy when you take into account transport.
>>
>>59692549
The highest temperature I experienced was 46 degrees in Afghanistan and it felt like my brain was being baked every time I walked outside. I can't imagine how hellish 50 degrees is.
>>
>>59692929
>Because having to bribe literally everyone would be too much on top of the normal costs.
You honestly believe building a biogas facility in India would be more expensive than using Swedish engineers and builders?

We have laws about state-owned corporations making profits. But those aren't that strict. They can shuffle the resources around and there's no problem.

>>59693011
The goal isn't to burn the biogas. The goal is to produce the biogas and sell it.
It's essentially what we do. It's a bit of a brag-project here. Having the buses run on biogas. But we really do more Co2 contribution with that thing than without. And it costs approximately double in gas. And the new buses have to take biogas and not normal petrol.

There's so many layers of stupid going on..
If any of you (in western countries) care about the environment (and pajeets) make sure they invest somewhere else rather than at home.
>>
File: 80_630_225_stillings2.jpg (56 KB, 630x225) Image search: [Google]
80_630_225_stillings2.jpg
56 KB, 630x225
>>59692376
We have these in Nevada and they are very effective. No idea what you're on about. A fuckload of mirrors refocus the sun's rays onto a spire which causes water to boil and the resulting steam is used to generate electricity which powers cities.
>>
That's ok. With over a billion people, there's plenty more where that came from.
>>
>>59693227
He actually has some truth to what he's saying.

Solar should and could be much more effective. But people think that investing in solar energy directly is somehow more environmentally friendly than spending on research.

The amount of money we waste on environmental power right now is just retarded. Stuff like hydro has some issues but they're not Co2 or energy inefficiency issues. It tends to kill some fish which can be a problem. But on the grand scale it's very good shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaF-fq2Zn7I
Here's Bill Gates, he's a pretty smart dude.
>>
>be one of the biggest producers of greenhouse gases
>do absolutely nothing to stop it because "it's just westerners trying to curb muh progress"
>suffer deadlier heat waves year after year
People want me to care now?
>>
>>59693438
you know global warming isn't actually visible on the scale of an administration, much less then the profit of a booming economy.
>>
>>59693227
It's not cost effective. Not even a trillion light bulbs spend comparable amount of electric energies as devices with electric motors (and no, your wash machine does not count as a device of industrial electric motor), and these industrial electric motors are what spends 95+ % of all generated electricity, and you cant run those with solar energy because solar energy is insufficient.

Whether you look at it per meter or second or dollar or whatever metric, you cant power up a modern manufacture economy with a solar power plant.

>>59693173
"Sewege solids" (shit) is also required to grow food (it's kind of weird/ironic) and farmers buy a lot of it, but the energy you obtain from shit is lesser than energy input required to make shit.
Sure it's smart, but you wont be able to reach a zero with just bio gas.

It's a good thing Sweden is doing but solving the incoming energy crisis will be a much, much harder problem.
>>
>>59693173
There'd also be additional costs from when shit breaks down or doesn't work as intended because you let indians try building your thing, yo.
>>
Too bad we bullied them out of /int/, now we won't have direct reports from Indians
>>
>>59693438
It's kind of a global thing. It's like.. a kid is playing around with grenades and machine guns in the next room. Sure it's not in your room and sure it's the kid's problem, but one of those bullets/shrapnel may actually kill you as well.
>>
>>59693525
>Sure it's smart, but you wont be able to reach a zero with just bio gas.
Except it's not. It's terrible. Re-read what I said. We're producing more Co2 this way. Even if we had all our transport free we'd produce more Co2 because this biogas plant doesn't carry enough efficiency.

>>59693545
I think Indians can follow Ikea style blueprints.

Seriously it's not like that. People aren't bad at building stuff if they do it as instructed. It's not like Indians fuck up software projects because they're exceptionally bad programmers compared to the rest of the world. It's their company culture. A properly managed offshore-insource project would work and has been proven to work many times. Like how some software startups head to China if they have the communication ability.
>>
>>59693525
>solving the incoming energy crisis
You could achieve that by cutting down production right now. I'll take unemployment over blackouts and desperate last second planet-destroying energy generation measures.
>>
>>59693709
>You could achieve that
Sadly a political issue. I think if people understood the consequences there'd be no problem. It would have been solved in the 80's.
>>
File: ecool-beer-cooler.jpg (49 KB, 640x489) Image search: [Google]
ecool-beer-cooler.jpg
49 KB, 640x489
>>59693410
If we're still talking about staying cool, digging holes costs nothing and requires no electricity. There are parts of the world that naturally burn to the ground every year. The ground surface is literally on fire during this time. Animals survive the heat and the fire of the surface by just going underground. Despite the fire coupled with the sun's intensity underground is wholly unaffected by heat. In fact, it's quite comfortable. Even here, during summers, just walking into the basement of a house or into the sub levels of a building will feel like you've entered an air conditioned space.

Furthermore, people actually use the ground as a natural cooler for beverages and meats. Literally just dig some holes, then go into them. Problem solved. This is the most basic concept of geothermal dynamics and it costs nothing outside of paying hardhats to dig something that's maybe a bit sophisticated.
>>
>>59693878
Yeah geothermal energy is cool and underutilized. Especially when you intend to cool stuff.
>If we're still talking about staying cool, digging holes costs nothing and requires no electricity.
Yeah I moved on from that.
>>
>>59693878
This is true, in fact my grand grandparents used to dig out refrigerators, I mean those holes were refrigerators before the gas and electricity based ones we have today.
And basements are always cooler than other rooms.

However, I dont know how would you do this in an urban environment. Clustering a lot of people would increase temperature, spreading them out in holes is technically impossible in an urban environment.
>>
File: Jordkällare.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1122) Image search: [Google]
Jordkällare.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1122
>>59693878
These are cozy. They're normally not in suburbs or anything of course. My family has one at the summerhouse. They're like ~3-6c
>>
>>59694186
My grandpa uses one very similar to that to store his wine, but can you think of a way to house entire urban population with that method?

Seems to me India is fucked..
>>
>>59694282
They're not hard to build.
The problem is you need stone, not dirt.

If you can dig enough you're fine obviously.

Of course when we're considering urban structures (in India especially where building safety is notoriously bad) there's major issues.
>>
>>59694074
Something like this would require a major project that I doubt India would be willing to invest in. It's not an impossible task but it's also not worth it at that scale, I don't think. It would require a very large underground network which spawns its own mess of issues. Something like this for the sole purpose of keeping people cool probably isn't something India is ready to be spending time and money on.
>>
>>59689658
>ITT : cannot research on wiki while I assume things

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_India#Hydroelectric

>Thinking that Indians didn't the obvious things themselvess too.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temples_of_modern_India

The display of arm chair level of knowledge in things while talking out of ass is too high here.
>>
>>59689166
>just turn on ac or a ventilator and that's literally it

Because a majority cannot afford it.That's why it's a big deal.

>INB4 some obvious solutions
If they could help, they would right done it way before Moot started 4chan in 2003
>>
I remember walking to the shops on a 45 degree day, if its 50 degree just carry a bottle of water you'll be alright.
>>
>>59697353
No, wet bulb temp of 35C will kill you.
>>
>>59693878
How exactly are they going to afford that? They can barely afford to eat right now.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.