[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
French or German, which is more useful to learn as a third language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 3
File: serveimage.jpg (187 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
187 KB, 1200x675
French or German, which is more useful to learn as a third language?
>>
None.
>>
Arabic
>>
>>58977735
C'mon anon, don't be like that.
>>58977739
Fuck off.
>>
الموت لل غرب . و العرب يحكمون العالم
>>
French is more spoken, but German it's ok too
>>
None and arabic
>>
Chinese
>>
>>58977739
Alright, I will pick German then
>>
Arabic
>>
German
>>
File: picardiamano.jpg (23 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
picardiamano.jpg
23 KB, 499x499
>>58977769
Good comment mohamed
>>
chinese
>>
>>58977769
>>58977774
>>58977789
Most original joke of all time. Here's your (you)s
>>58977771
I know, but which one you think is most useful?
>>58977780
You're not me.
>>58977779
>>58977811
You serious, cunts? Give me a good reason and I might consider it.
>>58977793
What's your reasoning?
>>
>>58977765

French is usually spoken in the ex-Empires.

German is spoken in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and two principalties. It's usually learned in it's neighbouring countries.
>>
>>58977840
Both are similiar in using but, if I were you, I'd choose French.
>>
Asking which language is useful is a fucking stupid question

If youre going to learn a language it's because you want to

Or you're planning on going there

Either way it's your choice, stop asking people for your decisions

If you started learning a language that you dont even really like you might quit within a few days
>>
>>58977855
So I'm better off learning French unless I go to one of the German countries? Which I probably won't.
>>58977890
Sure is, João.
>>58977891
Yeah, you're right. I like French better personally too.
>>
>>58977910
>So I'm better off learning French unless I go to one of the German countries? Which I probably won't.

If you don't plan to go to Europe and want to practice, clearly.
The closest place to Brasil where it's spoken is French Guyanna.
>>
>>58977901
Calm down, I want to learn both eventually, but since it's best to take on one at a time I thought I'd prioritize whichever one is more useful to know.

I was not asking people to make a decision for me, I was asking which one is more useful.
>>
>>58977927
I meant to live there, really as a tourist you don't need to know the language deeper than the very basics to get by. Sure, speaking them is always advantageous but not really a requirement.
>>
>>58977932
Useful to what, nigger? To find work? To watch movies? To pick girls?
>>
>>58978022
General usefulness I guess, which might include all of those. Something that will look good in my curriculum ("oh, he speaks [language]!"), something that will give me access to untranslated quality media, something that will let me know and communicate with interesting people... shit like that.
>>
>>58977992

Well, it depends where you plan to live.

In any country learning the language becomes necessary if you want to live there.
>>
French is more useful for the third world
>>
>>58978103
Eh, if I were to chose I'd pick French over Germany. So I guess it's another point for French, even though I don't really think of moving there, this is just the choice I'd make in a hypothetical scenario.

I guess it's settled then, French appears more useful to me. Thanks.
>>
>>58978160
How so? The only third world region where it might be useful is Africa, it's literally not spoken by anyone here in South America.
>>
>>58978164
French will be a breeze for you. German would be fucking challenging
>>
They are both around equally important.
>>
>>58978183
Exactly what I am saying. Although you do share a border with France on your continent of West Africa- I mean South America
>>
>>58978185
Well yeah, French is romance.
>>
>>58978185

True. I can understand half a portuguese text and I never studied it. Must work the other way around.
>>
>>58978247
It doesn't have to work both ways though. Because French is more complicated than Portuguese. In fact, I think it's one of the harder West European languages.
>>
>>58978247
It does. The hardest thing about French to me are some set phrases and things that don't have direct translation like the pronouns "y" and "en".
>>
>>58978303

No language is complicated by itself, it fully depends on your mother tongue.
If I had to pick the hardest euro language to learn I'd pick german. I guess a Dutch would pick a latin or slavic language instead.
>>
>>58978308
I guess the irregular verbs are hard too but it's only hard when you're writing, when you're reading it's easy to associate the irregular forms with the base form of the verb.
>>
>>58978303
Spanish > Portuguese > Italian > Norwegian > English > Dutch > German > French

>>58978355
Well, with French I experienced the same as >>58978308
Something like Qu'est-ce qu'il y a à la télé ce soir? (which some Frenchie dissected for me a while ago) Is complete gibberish.
German doesn't have that. And German rules might seem complicated, because there are lots of them, but they are always consistently applied.
>>
>>58978409
A normal person would say que est dans la tele ce soir. Or something. :p
>>
>>58978409

Ah, lol.

Technically, in good French, its "qu'y a-t-il ce soir à la télé?
But colloquial French like circonvolutions.
>>
>>58978409
>>58978447
What is on the TV this afternoon(?)

Easy peasy lemon squeezy, and I only did one semester of French back in college.
>>
OP, learn French. They're arrogant fuckheads who will refuse to speak English with tourists, even if they are fluent. Germans are so cucked they will respond to you in English even if you speak German to them.
>>
>>58978526
I actually like the French better for that. Good on them, nobody should willingly be a linguistic cuck.
>>
>>58978487
Well, the vocabulary is the easy part. Making your own sentences is where the challenge lies of course. If you master the small words you master French. With German it's about mastering the rules.

>>58978526
Germans often don't speak English either desu. Maybe it's because I'm Dutch, but they always respond in German to me.

Although, now I think of it, Germans can have very heavy accents. Which are very hard to understand. This isn't as much of a problem with French.
>>
>>58978613
>Making your own sentences is where the challenge lies of course.
Tru dat. I can read quite a lot but if you ask me to write something in French I might as well be illiterate.
>>
>>58978613
The French might have better accents, but it is irrelevant because they will never speak English to you. Every German I have met has spoken to me in English, even though I initiate conversation in German.
>>
>>58978673
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krtnt191Drg
>>
>>58978708
Thanks for proving my point. The German will eternally cuck his own language, insisting upon speaking the languages of his betters.
>>
>>58977719
French, because most Germans worth speaking to speak English already.
>>
>>58977719
French.

German will soon be supplanted by Arabic everywhere it is spoken, but French will still exist in Quebec and maybe some other places.
>>
Stop with those garbage threads already holy fuck. The same fucking shit question, every fucking day since years
>>
>>58977719
French is necessary to travel comfortably in Quebec. English will suffice in Germany or France.
>>
>>58977719
>Useful
Depends on your line of work. If you're thinking anything Africa-related French is your best bet.
German is only if you have business in Germany.
>>
>>58977719
As you're brasilian it'll easier for you to learn french
>>
>>58977719
Both!
I'm working towards fluency in French, am intermediate in Spanish, and recently began German.
Both should be easy as you have a grasp of germanic and romance languages, the hardest part of learning both being conjugation which should come naturally and intuitiveness of the vocabulary, which should again, be fairly easy knowing Portuguese and English.
They are so different in tone that it shouldn't be difficult to learn them at the same time if you're motivated.
Honestly though, considering your location, Spanish wouldn't be a bad idea either.
>>
File: french_guyana-map.jpg (56 KB, 360x387) Image search: [Google]
french_guyana-map.jpg
56 KB, 360x387
>>58978183
>it's literally not spoken by anyone here in South America
Except it is, also you literally border France?
>>
>>58978409
The problem in French is that there are a lot of differences between spoken and written French.

The quintessential "est-ce que" example is just a matter of being an easier sentence to form. Sure, "as-tu faim ?" (are you hungry) is an easier sentence to write, but "est-ce que tu as faim ?" is an easier sentence to speak in the sense that you are just taking the affirmative statement, "tu as faim", and adding basically the sound "esskeu" in front of it.

It looks silly as hell when written down, and is an extremely roundabout way of asking a question in term of etymology (literally, "is it that you are hungry?"), but it's a very easy thing to say orally.
>>
>>58977910
>So I'm better off learning French unless I go to one of the German countries?

German is also more useful in eastern europe overall I think.
>>
>>58984308
Oh the Baltics of the South. Two of them have designated shitting streets and the third is a colono of French pussies. When is Brazil going end those poor countries misery existence?
>>
>>58977719
What you need to know:
English
Spanish
Chinese (mandarin)

For your entertainment:
French or german.
French is spoken in more places.
German is useful in scienctific literature or if you plan on living in ger/aust/swis.
>>
Germans for a professional point of view

French for a touristic point of view if you are attracted by North Africa and Africa
>>
>>58977901
DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING
The right answer
>>
>>58984308
I doubt Brazilians even know they share a border with the country of Taubira.
>>
>>58985921

There's nothing there. If at least they were of the pacific side.
>>
English and Spanish are the only languages you need to know for a Brazilian, especially English.
>>
>>58986309

why?
>>
In Europe -> French or German depending of the country.
In the other continents -> French.
>>
>>58977719
Why bother with a third if it's going to take you half your life to even learn half of the vocabulary that a native englishmen has?
>>
>>58978066
Well Barbarians are better than Romans so..
>>
>>58977719
Depends what you want to do with it. The choice is obvious if you want to work and live in either country, or get a waifu from one.

If not, french is probably more useful.
>>
>>58977719
If you want job opportunities, go for German.
For traveling: French.
>>
>>58977719
Depends of what you want to do.
Want to go/work to Germany or German part of Switzerland ? German.
Want to know a language spoken by more people, Want to work in France or in french part of Switzerland / Belgium ? Learn french.
If you want to travel in Africa, take french.
>>
>>58986725
English has german words. English has french words. Portuguese is a romance language, so is French .
>>
Can people in France understand German and vice versa?
>>
>>58978409
>Qu'est-ce qu'il y a à la télé ce soir
fugg
>>
>>58989130

No,languages are too remote. German grammar and vocabulary are alien to us.
>>
>>58989130
Not at all.
English and French are a lot closer than French and German.
>>
>>58989130
It would be hard.
You can barely understand them because of grammar and vocabulary.
You can understand Italian (at least 40% of the words). But not german
>>
German is similar to English.
A lot of English words come from German.
>>
Spanish and English ... the rest useless
>>
>>58977719
You can't get a clear answer. French is spoken in Wallonia (and partly Brussels), the French speaking part of Switzerland, France, a little part of Italy, huge parts of Africa, Quebec and other former colonies. Although they are not really wealthy. German is spoken in little parts of Belgium, parts of France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, South-Tirol (Italy) and former German territories. French has more speakers worldwide, but German has more speakers in Europe. So you should choose German if you want to work/live somewhere in Europe. But you should choose French if you want to work/live in formee French colonies (mainly Africa), Quebec and other French territories. If you are Dutch, then it's useful to learn both
>>
>>58977719
If you are brazilian the logical order of learning language should be something like:
1. Portuguese
2. English
3. Spanish
4. French
5. German
>>
>>58989130
Not at all.
>>
>>58985921
>pussies

delet, finnish boipussi
>>
>>58989130
Errr...nope.

The only Germanic language we can "really'' understand is England
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.