[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever met a catalan native speaker?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 6
File: catalan_native_speakers.png (265 KB, 1249x710) Image search: [Google]
catalan_native_speakers.png
265 KB, 1249x710
How it was like?
>>
Probably one or two, since the signs in Pyrénées-Orientales (North of the border) are bilingual Catalan-French.
>>
like meeting any other spanish person ever
>>
>>58760673
el porcentaje de castellanos coincide casi exactamente con el porcentaje de voto de ciudadanos
>>
I had a catalan gf.
She didn't speak catalan but her family were real hardcore catalan nationalists.
>>
>>58761562
Where was she from?
>>
>>58761779
Perpignan, in France.
Ironically, she knew a bit of Spanish but not Catalan.
The relationship was awful (don't fall for the online LDR meme, friends), but it taught me about the French-Catalans.
>>
>>58760673

Hello. I am one of them.
>>
>>58761918
Why haven't you killed your Castilian overlords yet?
>>
>>58761932
We are a cucked nation since 1714 :(
>>
>>58761853
>>58761853
Nord-catalan then. French Catalans love to identify as Catalan but rarely know the language, which is quite ironic.
>>
>>58762054
The rest of her family were serious. Spoke Catalan, had Catalan flags, went to Barcelona for 11/9, and even had a little music box that played Els Segadors.
>>
>>58762123
Good for them :)
>>
>>58762123

Els Segadors fucking sucks and must be eliminated. It's the most shittiest anthem we could have ever chosen. They even modified the lyrics of the original song...

The xarnego invasion has made a lot of damage. It's full of cataboos. Sons of andalusians and such that now say that are "Catalan". Fuck them. They are not Catalans. They never were. They will never be.

L'emigrant is, in my opinion, our proper anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YE4eJvkeyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g134yugURTI
>>
>>58762311
>L'emigrant
sounds more like it should be the Swedish anthem
>>
>>58762311

I fucked up with the second one, I wanted to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIEo6ZBwYIY
>>
>>58762423

It means "The emigrant". It's inspired on all the Catalans expats who left our land. It talks about the nostalgy. The pain of leaving our "sweet Catalonia", the land were we grew.
>>
>>58762311
born in Catalunya = Catalan. It's not that hard anon.
>>
>>58762522

Fuck off. Sure, then all those Mohammeds are Catalans, Spaniards, Swedes, too. FUCK YOU. Stupid cuck.
>>
>>58762522
t. Pedro Castiliano
>>
>>58762551
you seem to be having trouble grasping a very simple concept, anon. Give it some thought, you'll get it sooner or later
>>
I'm from here and I'm a native speaker, ask me anything
>>
>>58760673
What the fuck

I opened some random wiki page in catalan and I understand it quite well,more than I'd understand spanish for instance
>>
cringy
>>
>>58760673
Most of the independentists I have met were charnegos. Natives were pretty nice. Weird thing, I blame indoctrination.
>>
>>58760673
Link to the map?
>>
>>58764467

This.

I'm a native. Xarnego Cataboos are the worse. It's because of indoctrination, and because they feel inferior in a foreign environment. They can't stand the idea of not being Catalan, so they renounce Spain.
>>
>>58761932
They would stomp us. Again. Fucking Frenchies would help them. Again.
>>
>>58762792
Els joves parlan Valencia entre ells com a Catalunya o es mes una cosa de la gent gran? Com de viu esta alla abaix?
>>
>>58761853
>LDR
what is this
>>
>>58762522
Catalonian =! Catalan.
>>
>>58762019
lol more like since forever
>>
>>58764546
>>58764467
>Charnegos
>Natives
>Cataboos
please explain
>>
>>58764546
wait you have a term for like mudbloods? holy shit how fucking autistic do you have to be
>>
>>58760673
Yes, I met one and they started to talk about how they hit a log during Christmas
>>
>>58765149
You are talking about the country than had the Casta system. We love to catagorize people into categories.
>>
>>58765099
It's only a matter of time before the Castilian menace subjugates you guys again
>>
>>58765264
why? we're already literally a part of the same european union. they can do whatever they want with us already

>>58765256
that's kinda weird, no offense
>>
Like meeting a peasant
>>
I've had this "Learn Yourself Catalan" book since forever.
Is there a Catalan *chan or whatever? I need practice. This book doesn't teach shit and is more of a glorified dictionary.

Any Catalan language studies would be great. Books, news, music.
>>
>>58764363
I'm pretty sure Catalan is closer to Occitan and other romance languages than Spanish (Castillian), that might have something to do with it
>>
>>58765443
why do you want to learn catalan?
>>
File: 1416590730420.png (74 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
1416590730420.png
74 KB, 500x379
What happens here?
>>
>>58764363
Since pig in romanian is Porc and in Catalan is also Porc it's not that weird...
>>
>>58765755
i'm pretty sure it's that way in french too. and in portuguese it's "porco"
>>
>>58765540
Catalan came from the Occità language. so yeah.
>>
>>58760673
>implying Mallorca is not german
>>
>>58765846
Porc and Truie(for fem)
>>
>>58765060
long distance relationship
>>
>>58762019
Aprende historia, paleto
>>
>>58765748
Vergneum, bergistans. Old iberians.
>>
>>58765748
They have some amazing festivities if you like folklore.
>>
>>58765139

Xarnec or Xarnego (Charnego in Spanish. Note that X and Ch do not make the same sound) is a derogatory term we use for non-Catalan Spaniards. Some people compare it to the Italian "terrone".

When I say native I mean Catalans with Catalan families. "Ethnic Catalans".

When I say Cataboos I mean all those immigrants from other regions of Spain (mainly Andalusia, Extremadura..) that have come here during the past century and that now are "indepedentists" and think of themselves as Catalans. Nazi jews, basically, and for comparison. They are a lot.
During the past 20 years we've had a lot of latinamerican and African immigration, and many of those are cataboos too.

The nationalist parties love multiculturalism and are a fucking joke.
>>
>>58766422
Is Cataboo an actual tern or just a corruption of weeaboo?
>>
>>58766497
The later, is the first time I hear it.
>>
>>58766497

A corruption. I made it up.
>>
Si, he conegut a uns quants catalans però jo soc d'Eivissa, que al final serem part de Alemanya.
>>58765879
>>
>>58765697
Spanish is too mainstream.
French is not fun.

Catalan is in the middle and fun.
>>
>>58766422
>>The nationalist parties love multiculturalism and are a fucking joke.
How? How the fuck are they nationalists if they are pro-multiculturalism, which is BREAKING DOWN the nation?
>>
>>58766597
you could've just said it was autism then
>>
>>58766674
Same as SNP
>>
>>58766687
I prefer the term "Linguistic Hipster".
But yes, autist works fine.
>>
>>58766885
I don't fucking get it.

>WE WANT A COUNTRY JUST FOR <nation>
>LET'S IMPORT THIRD WORLDERS FOR <nationstate>!
>>
>>58767363
It's exactly like this. They're fucking stupid.
>>
>>58767363
I think it works like this

>Local minority hate local majority
>Sees local majority as racist, whether true or not
>Thus naturally inclined to support any other group against the majority, including foreign minorities
>by the time seperatists movements become realistic, the local minority population is already overly pro-multikulti
>wants more immigrants to show they are better than the local majority

I think that the SNP is much worse in this regard than any other separatist movement.
>>
File: catalonia shitskins.jpg (272 KB, 786x962) Image search: [Google]
catalonia shitskins.jpg
272 KB, 786x962
>>58767363
>>58768203
Let me tell you that as an old Catalonian there is nothing I hate more than seeing our heritage being appropiated and disgraced by these new-generation xarnego "patriots" and the subhumans from abroad they incorporate to their charades. Kill them all.
>>
File: fuerza aerea catalana.jpg (85 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
fuerza aerea catalana.jpg
85 KB, 500x374
CAF
>>
>>58768493

This.

All of this is a disgrace. The true death of our country
>>
Catalonians are a meme. Catalonia though, has nice landscapes
>>
>>58768493
So do you have any good Catalan language news websites?
Or good Catalan music?

I want to learn Catalan but this book I have is more "THIS IS A SENTENCE. THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS." then actually learning one Catalan.
>>
>>58769745
spanish is like "british" (aka scottish + english + welsh) and catalonians are like a scottish tribe in a particular region of scotland (not even all of scotland)
>>
>>58769745
Catalan is an Occitan language closer to French instead of Spanish.
>>
I basically grew up in french catalonia, grand parents from my mother side speak it fluently and I took classes of it when I was young, still understand it to some degree.

For those who are interested, AMA.
>>
>>58770988
why is the french government such an asshole with its own minority languages?
>>
>>58770812

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YE4eJvkeyk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pU13ToUMpCc (This one is based in a poem by Ausias March. Althought it has been modernised, it's still dialectally Valencian and slightly archaic)
>>
>>58771089
After the revolution, the succeding governeent decided the whole country should be more united and uniformed, so it began pushing French everywhere, going as far as almost eradicating some regional languages - and being successful in some cases. This was also a way to kill off any regionalism.

If you want my opinion, this was a terrible idea that cost us a lot when it comes to local cultures.

After WWII begun a policie of preservation of those languages, so classes are now available, structures are created and there's various initiative to help those languages - although it's most region funded. On the other hand, the state will not acknowledge any other official language than French, from the governement standpoint, those languages are only seen as dialects.

Still, there's a long way to go, and while my grand parents speak fluent Catalan, they didn't teach it to my mother and so I don't know it either. You can still find native speakers but not as many as on the spanish side.
>>
>katalan
>language
>>
>tfw Catalonia will NEVER EVER be independent
Good feel. I, for one, welcome the glorious Castilian overlords
>tfw Galicia never annexed Portugal
Bad feel, Greater Galicia deserves existence
>>
>>58771525
i would welcome the galician overlords
>>
>>58767018
I have similar feelings about learning Galician
>>
>>58771477
i don't understand is why the modern government still does this
seems a bit hypocritical to join the EU and allow massive immigration and then not allow citizens to speak their own languages
>>
>>58768493
Wait, we have Sickhs in Catalunya? Only in BCN no?
>>
>>58764703
jo tinc 19 anys i parle valencia quasi sempre xD
pasen les dos coses alhora, m'explique:
a alguns joves se¡ls ha tallat la transmisio dels seus pares, i parlen castella
pero ara está mes de "moda" el valencia i hi ha xicons que son castellanoparlants i van de valencianistes suprems

la major diferencia es els barris on viuen els que vingueren de andalusia i de la mancha i no tant la diferencia de edat, pero tambe
>>
>>58771644
I even bought books on Veneto because I found it fun.
Mainstream languages a shit.
>>
>>58771879
I had a really short period of life where I really wanted to learn Basque and Sardinian, but not Castillian or Italian.
>>
>>58771944
basque has nothing to do with spanish, they were here before indoeuropeans spreaded
>>
>>58771944
>Sardinian
So do I, one day.
It's an amazing island.

>Spanish
>Italian
Never held much appeal to me.
>>
>>58771979
Yeah I know that much, I was just comparing them because they're in the same area
>>
>>58771644
It's pretty close to portuguse too, easy to make the jump if you later want to learn it. Very beautiful too.
>>58771802
Millor, despres de tenir tants anys el PP semblava que el Valencia l'estava palmant, mentres no arriveu a extrems com a Cat i el sentiment anti-espanyol de les elites nomes porta bones coses per la cultura.
>>
>>58771703
We didn't join the EU, we were founding members, alongside Germany and the Benelux. The EU was a purely economical union before it started becoming more and more political. Meme aside, we don't allow "massive" immigration. First waves were after WWI and WWII, mostly Spanish, Polish and Portuguese people. After the war in Algeria, we took in around 100.000 algerians who fought alongside France and the last wave was during the 70's.

Past this date, the immigration isn't "massive" as we kick more immigrants than we take in and we still accept very few immigrants per capita (one of the smallest cap in Europe. But that's besides the point.

>i don't understand is why the modern government still does this
The Constitution states that French is the language of the republic, and while it also states regional languages belong to its cultural history, they clearly doesn't stand equal.
Like I said, modern day governements are all for preserving those languages, it's just that they will never be equal with French. No language ever will be.

> not allow citizens to speak their own languages
It isn't prohibited, just not official. People are free to do what they want in their homes, they can speak Catalan, Arabic, Cantonese or Czech, whatever they want, but when they interact with the administration, they have to use the language of the republic.
>>
>>58772078
hi ha qui diu que estem com catalunya als 80, tant politica com sociodemograficament

encara que veig una diferencia molt notable: la burgesia valenciana es regionalista, no nacionalista. els empresaris volen una "unio", no una convergencia.
>>
>>58772106
well in portugal we have the main language of the republic too, portuguese, but we do also have a minority language called mirandese which is protected, there are schools and papers written in that language, and even books and comic books. i believe even certain radio shows in the area are in mirandese
>>
>>58760673
>that cutoff between castellon and tarragona

why? is that area turistic?
>>
>>58772255
It is the same here. Local radio stations, newspapers and even TV channels. I think you have a distorted view of how the governement handle the regional language question. Even though it doesn't want to recognize them doesn't mean it is actively against them. Like I said, people are free to do however they want.
>>
>tfw your regional language will never be recognized as such by the spanish government

I envy you, catalans, I truly do
Wish you stay with us tho, I have some good friends there

>>58772255
my grandmother's family is from the galician-asturian border so they speak gallego, you ever met with a gallego?
>>
You'll NEVER be as autistic as Valencia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjhbmN3kLgg
>>
>>58772581
How is that autistic?
>>
>>58772742
>song about rice
>>
>>58772446
yes many times, it's perfectly intelligible with portuguese. it was very common in the 70's for people in galicia and northern portugal to go to france

>>58772426
but i think they don't allow it in schools. i know france is the only country in the EU that didn't sign a pact to protect minority languages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_France
>>
>>58772426
better said, france did sign it but didn't ratify it
>>
>>58772833
it's literally just an excuse to make a catchy electronic song
>>
>>58773133
two iberias too
>>
>>58773018
basque is being pushed in the french basque country, so there's that. i dunno about proper patcs tho

also I can understand portuguese if it's spoken not fast as fuck, i had one friend i spoke with when we were drunk, he in portuguese and me in spanish
>>
>>58773018
It is allowed in school. I could take Catalan lessons from kindergarten all the way to highschool if I wanted to. Not all regional languages can benefit from this treatement though, but that only depends on the establishement's will, if there's available teachers and if people are willig to take the classes.

Only languages lessons are taught though, there's no way you could learn anything else in a language other than French.
>>
>>58773292
that's the thing, you can in spain. in catalonia you can go to college and learn everything in catalan
t. did erasmus in barcelona
>>
>>58773133
I take it he means the Galician in Hispania.
>>
>>58771477
Are there any local languages other than Catalan (which is spoken in a neighboring country) and Breton (which is an entirely different language family and can't be called a dialect) which have survived?
>>
>>58774049
many occitan dialects, basque, and many langues de oil, some old german varities and even italian iirc
>>
Ya, she was a bitch, super full of herself and stuck up.

(Nuke madrid)
>>
>>58774049
Béarnais and others Gascon and Occitan dialects, Basque, Alsacian, Provençal in the south east, Picard and Chtimi in the North, Auvergnat and probably others in the center of the country, but I'm not that knowledgeable about it.
>>
Catalonia is cool, catalans are bad. So basically the same with the rest of Spain.
>>
>>58773729
Yes, it's a different stance, but that's in a federal country with several official languages, which is very different than France.
>>
File: the future of america.png (49 KB, 944x766) Image search: [Google]
the future of america.png
49 KB, 944x766
>>58774687
>Madrid
>>
>>58760673
>lalalalatacostacostacosclaroclarocontigoylasfajitasconlavidaloca.
You speak too fast, fuck.
>>
>>58774795
spain is not a federal country. it's almost federal tho
>>
>>58760673
Disgusting fuckers.
>>
>>58765948
Merchant, I...
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.