[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Navajo language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: navajo.jpg (10 KB, 220x229) Image search: [Google]
navajo.jpg
10 KB, 220x229
Any speakers of Navajo around?

Currently working on dealing with pronouns in more uncommon languages in the world (non-mainstream), and by chance ended up working on Navajo.
I've got a list and working through some resources on them, but I'm finding it hard to get examples and explanations of pronouns in use, or materials which discuss this specific matter in depth.

Just thought I'd ask here in the off chance, someone has a gem.
>>
>>58301818
Why are you learning an entirely useless language?
>>
>>58301912
>op dedicates shitfucktons of time and effort to preventing data loss for future scholars
Why are you wasting your time making useless posts on this useless site?
>>
>>58301912
I'm not learning it at all, I just have to do a linguistic study on pronouns of two 'uncommon' languages.

I would've picked the ones I know if I could but I understand how easy it would've been then.
>>
>>58302021
To add, I know Mandarin and Japanese, but they were specifically mentioned as a no-no.Much like all European ones also.
>>
>>58302021
Oh.
>>
>>58301818
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC-IpHpRugWf1v9xIFieUGYA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt-8qW6tFZQ
Also, watch more Navajo media and check out Quizlet
>>
>>58302283
Oh neat. Thanks.

However I can't reference learning material such as textbooks or lessons on the language, I have to specifically use language analysis references :/ but hey, anything is good to gain some insight for now.
>>
>>58301818
>Any speakers of Navajo around?

Most likely not. It's not a very common language, and internet penetration in New Mexico isn't the best.
>>
>>58302060
what about basque? It's not even Indo-European, albeit with heavy sprachbund from Spanish.
the only things I know about Navajo is that instead of making new words they chain them together. It's also considered bad conduct to tell someone you love them in Navajo culture I heard. Navajo for Navajo is Dine (Dihn-ey).
>>
>>58302395
You you plan on moving too Navajo Nation? If you are, there are lots of resources there. This site is also greatly useful: http://www.native-languages.org
Just go to the Navajo section of it
>>
also, I appreciate you learning this language. Many thanks from the injun family.
>>
>>58302698
I've always had a curiousity towards languages, and native American ones I've never bothered to touch so this has been really interesting. I love the simplicity of the sentence structure, but the minute grammar details can be nicely complicated.

>>58302669
Heh, probably not, more immersed in the SE asian languages. With 1 million Chinese tourists planned to visit NZ per year in five years I think it's the way to go. This paper is an elective.

>>58302564
It's not derived from any Indo-Euro languages though? That's the problem on selection. Not only can I not pick mainstream languages, they aren't allowed to be derived from these either.

So I still have one left from either South/SE asia (-Chi/Jap/Kor) OR one from Aus/pacific OR one from Africa, so if anyone has ideas on a language with good material from those areas where I can focus on pronouns that would be great.
>>
>>58302964
basque is an isolated language. it works kinda like japanese.
>>
>>58302964
>It's not derived from any Indo-Euro languages though
Can confirm, basque is an "isolated" language now it has a lot of influence from french and spanish but its roots are non-indoeuropean
>>
Irish speaker here if it's any use to you
>>
>>58304043
Is it true there's no first person pronoun "I" in Irish because the Irish are self-unaware animals who fail the mirror test?
>>
>>58304188
You hit the nail on the head with that one! I'm surprised though, a really good insult from the American side.
>>
>>58304043
Are you attractive?
>>
>>58304703
I'd say so.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.