[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today I learned : Many Japanese people tend to say Igiris instead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 20160229204503304.jpg (33 KB, 717x343) Image search: [Google]
20160229204503304.jpg
33 KB, 717x343
Today I learned :
Many Japanese people tend to say Igiris instead of the UK because Portugal taught Japanese people how to spell England for a long time ago.
Because Portugal had hated UK in The Age of Discovery, Japan was deceived.
Does your country have such anecdote?
>>
>>58171441
We didn't hated the British in the Age of Discovery, we hated them when they sided with the Dutch and most of all because of the Ultimatum witch is the most embarrassing movement of our Country.

Do you guys still use the word Bidro?
>>
>>58171441
>Igiris
Is this a bad meaning?
>>
i thought britian and poortugal were allied during that time
>>
Igiris just looks like the normal Japanese butchering of names used on "English" than it does on Portuguese "Inglês", don't you think?
>>
>>58172154
Japan still uses Portuguese words today, Anon, including "vidro".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_Japanese_words_of_Portuguese_origin
>>
>>58172745
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_Japanese_words_of_Portuguese_origin
Foi me Dito que diziam "bīdoro"
Porque foi um gajo no norte que foi pra lá dizer "Bidró caralho !"
>>
>>58172913
>bīdoro
Sim, é assim que eles pronunciam a palavra. Frasco é furasuko, pão é pan, Holanda é Oranda, etc.
>>
>>58172977
Tem piada, nunca vi um anime com referencias decentes a Portugal
>>
"Germany" is just a buzzword invented by Caesar because he knew shit about the tribes living in the region.
>>
igirisu=britain+ireland+iceland+scotland
>>
>>58173200
In other words, 英吉利 = UK.
>>
>>58171441

and we say
AMERIKA (America) instead of the US,
ORANDA (Holland) instead of Netherlands.

>>58172154
I just had Tempura for my dinner.
>>
>>58172154
>and most of all because of the Ultimatum witch is the most embarrassing movement of our Country

And yet you love brits.
>>
>>58173339
>And yet you love brits.
Let bygones be bygones.
>>
>>58173339
>And yet you love brits.
They still have cute white 2D girls, tbqh senpai. It's not like they care about the 3D ones, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal
>>
>>58173424 >>58173339

I agree with my hermano if there is any Devine justice at all your cunt pay properly for what was done to us. We didn't forget . But we also had good moments . We on the other hand always were the perfect alie . Even in WWII it was also advantage to the allies .
>>58173283
Im gonna have "ovo recheado" is like tempura with boiled egg and some others spices
>>
>>58173200
>iceland
I think you meant Wales
>>
>>58172154
>sided with the dutch
are you braindead?we were part of the iberian union which meant the enemies of spain were the enemies of portugal,what they did was normal...
And the ultimatum was pretty fucking retarded for both sides
>>
>>58171441
what? are you high?
>>
>>58173200
no
>>
>>58173896
he's talking about the dutch-portuguese war
the english fucked us over, they took our ships during the iberian union. Then they took a part of our colonies as a thank you gift (for helping us becoming independent) and then gave support to the dutch in taking our empire down.
eventualy they attacked the dutch and took the stuff they took
>>
>>58179446
They only atacked us when we were under the iberina union.We were under stict control by the king of iberia,we did what he wanted.England stopped supporting the dutch after 1640.
And they didn't take no colony from us
>>
>>58179698
they supported the dutch until the anglo-dutch war, and we already were de facto independent by then (spain never did much to help the portuguese side in the war anyway)
>>
>>58171441
It's Ingilis in Farsi
>>
>>58173200
Britain is the larger island; Ireland is the smaller one. You can also call them Alba and Hibernia if you want to be pretentious. The United Kingdom & The Republic of Ireland are the two sovereign states on the isles; the UK is further split into England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Cornwall also likes to pretend to be a country, but it is not.
>>
>>58180081
Spain wanted us off the map, that's why they didn't help.
>>
How come Japan doesn't care about Portugal? I never see Portugal in anime and video games. Only Americans and brits care.
>>
File: BACALHAU QUERALHO.png (284 KB, 411x617) Image search: [Google]
BACALHAU QUERALHO.png
284 KB, 411x617
>>58186732
you have to look very very deeply.

Tyki Mikk from d.gray man is portuguese
azmaria hendric from chrono crusade aswell.
and someothers...
>>
>>58171441
English people call Germans "Germans" because of Caesar
>>
>>58187310
They are always in the weirdest places, and not where you'd expect them. There's so much media with historical settings or dealing with historical figures and it's like Portugal never existed.
>>
>>58172154
>the Ultimatum witch is the most embarrassing movement of our Country.

What is the ultimatum?
>>
File: dq3.jpg (49 KB, 400x275) Image search: [Google]
dq3.jpg
49 KB, 400x275
>>58186732
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.