[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Spain and Portugal lose all of their Colonial Empire power?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: 425.qmark.girl.lc.032510.jpg (12 KB, 425x315) Image search: [Google]
425.qmark.girl.lc.032510.jpg
12 KB, 425x315
Why did Spain and Portugal lose all of their Colonial Empire power?
>>
>>58121274
democracy
>>
>>58121274
jews moved to america
>>
>>58121274
I thought you had schools in Brazil.
>>
Siesta
>>
>>58121274

because of shitty economists
>>
>>58121348

I never went to school.
>>
>>58121374
Then go to one and ask there.
>>
>>58121274
War in Europe meant they had no power to project onto dominons
>>
>>58121409

Only after you get a job.
>>
There was this French guy called Napoleon who weakened both countries back in Europe for them to be worried about colonies.
>>
>>58121527
That evil dwarf Napoleon.
>>
Shitty politicians and rulers plus that guy called napoleon
>>
>>58121574
Tbh honest, if you think about it, Westerm European dominance of the rest of the world ended because of France.
>>
>>58121714
I don't believe in the concept of "european", europeans never have been trully united. It's just a wishful wish, even today.
He was an evil dwarf though.
>>
>>58121274
Disgusting frogs.
>>
>>58121828
Not as "Europeans" as related to the continent, no, but the system of alliances and diplomacy has always been strong between nations of the west.
Then there's also the fact that for centuries catholic countries were united under the Pope (some more than others) and before that the (Western) Roman Empire.
And western european dominance over the world ended through direct influence from France.
UK loses US due to France alliance with US.
Portugal and Spain lose the Americas because of Napoleonic invasions.
Europe loses African/Asian colonies due to French post wolrd war "imperialism is inherently wrong" argument.
If France didn't exist, the world would probably still be under the dominace of western europeans.
>>
>>58121467
I already have a job. Now go to school Ze Pequeno.
>>
>>58122184
But if France didn't exist, maybe your countries would still speak arabic today.
You could tell a lot of stories with if this and if that.
>>
>>58122287
>maybe your countries would still speak arabic today

That's something I wouldn't mind if France didn't exist desu. We already belong to the same race so having the same language would be the natural order.
>>
>>58122287
Debatable. France wasn't the only western european country lending support to iberians to fight moors because of the extensive system of diplomacy/alliances of amongst western europe. There were Brits and Dutch and Germans and Italians too.
What is not debatable is that France alone was the cause for the Napopleonic wars and allying the US for example.
>>
>>58122475
What I meant is that if is debatable.
Also, about Napoleon, I didn't like the guy, but if the other euroean nations weren't so upset about our Revolution, we wouldn't have that warmonger.
>>
File: 1447568541161.jpg (11 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
1447568541161.jpg
11 KB, 453x604
The Netherlands was too strong.

We defeated Spain, Portugal and Waterloo'd France.

Sorry guys.
>>
>>58122684
It's ok, it would be absurd to hold a grudge.
We love you, kankers.
>>
>>58122684
>We

You forgot to add France, England, Portugal, Catalonia, Sweden and the german protestants.
>>
>>58122785
Yeah, we also defeated England, Germans and Swedes. But that isn't what the threat was about.
>>
>>58122842
>But that isn't what the threat was about.
About that, I wonder if industrialization didn't play a part as well.
I think it didn't spread as fast in Spain and Portugal than in UK and France.
Correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>>58122287
What kind of nigger are you, fellow baguette ?

It's logically impossible to fully hate Napoléon
>>
>>58122992
I strongly disagree.
>>
>>58122935
>I think it didn't spread as fast in Spain and Portugal than in UK and France.

Correct
>>
>>58123023
Explain
>>
>>58123102
I suck dick for a living and my customer often speak ill of him, so I mimic them to blend my slut ass in
>>
>>58122935
Most of our victories were actually before the industrialisation.

In the Netherlands most people were sailors and traders and we could turn merchant vessels into war vessels.
That's why we had the biggest navy in the world. Because everyone joined in.

When the British, Germans, French and Russians invaded in the 17th century and the Spanish before that we could create lots of canals, making our position well defensible. That's why all the invasions failed.

With Napoleon and Hitler we just escaped with luck and the aid of others.
But the people here actually welcomed to French regime because we were busy with a (non-violent) civil war between republicans and monarchists. So a lot of people thought you guys were saviours.
>>
>>58121527
It was our king who made brazil independent,he was kind of retarded wannabe George Washington
Funny how monarchy in Brazil managed to end faster than the Portuguese one.

Napoleon wasn't the reason we lost Brazil,but he kind off influenced it.
>>58122935
>>
>>58123173
Actually, the Russians came later. When we under French rule.
>>
File: D0xku2d.jpg (40 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
D0xku2d.jpg
40 KB, 600x450
>>58123136
>>
>>58123102
>>58123136
Napoleon failed the war.
He claimed himself emperor, and I am a republican.
He selled our american territories.
I recognize him as an important historical figure, but that is all.
I don't like him.
>>
>>58123173
Your strentgh and your weaknesses seem to be the same thing.
Interesting.
>>
In our case, it's because Spain hated us and never treated us like a part of the Spanish colonial family so Americans took us instead.
>>
>>58123411
>Netherlands is a republic for several hundred years now
>France has it's republican revolution based on our government model
>France: LETS LIBERATE THE NETHERLANDS AS WELL
>French "republicans" turns the Netherlands into a monarchy
>Netherlands thinks it actually works quite well
>Netherlands stays a monarchy forever
We literally had an opposite revolution. France created our monarchy.
>>
>>58123411
By the way, 'selled' is not a word, the correct word would be 'sold.'
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.