[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning Irish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 249x163) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 249x163
So I'm trying to learn Irish
>inb4 muh heritage

Is this list accurate?

http://1000mostcommonwords.com/1000-most-common-irish-words/
>>
MUH
>>
>mar
>as

90% of the time i use that it's to mean because, not as.
>>
>>58094631
Is there a better site out there?

I want a translation of the most common words.
>>
>>58094613
Great contribution to the discussion!
>>
>>58094613
HURRITAGE
>>
MO OIDHREACHT
>>
>>58094631
Is this one better?

http://www.daltai.com/discus/messages/13510/15127.html?1135371138
>>
What book are you reading from?
>>
>>58094694

it's pretty decent for basic words, you won't be able to do anything other than memorise these random words though cause gaeilge/gaelic changes depending on the context, it's really not an easy language to learn at all.

for example, Tá, meaning is/are/am, becomes go bhfuil in the middle of a sentence (1 and 2 verb rule).

eg. "ta me sasta go bhfuil tu anseo."

ta - am
me = i
sasta - happy
go bhfuil - are
tu- you
anseo - here
>>
>>58094835
I'm not reading from any book.
Someone told me learning the 3000 most common irish words would be a good starting point.

is this site more accurate than the one I listed in the OP?

>>
>>58094533

Póg mo thóin muh heritage fag.
>>
>>58094907

This one more accurate?

>>
>>58095064
Just read from a dictionary. Most of this list is unreliable.
>>
>>58094834

either/or

you'd be better off learning sentence structure and how to form basic sentences than learning words that you can't combine in a sentence thought to be honest.
>>
Kek don't worry about these assblasted europoors OP

According to this board Americans should never learn a language that's not going to be advantageous financially.

Wasting your time watching tv hours on end?
That's fine.
Learning a language that's not gonna help you take in the shekels?
Pathetic.
>>
>>58095192

but everyone itt that's slagged him off has been american or russian, not european.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 590x260) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 590x260
>>58095170
So is this anons advice any good?

He's the third to last comment in the thread if you can't read the pic.

https://desustorage.org/int/thread/57406519/#57407511
>>
You heritage fags are the worst!

I'm an Irishman living in New York right now and it makes my blood boil everytime one of you fags says he's Irish. Couldn't tell me anything about Ireland or it's history. They know more about English hi sorry than ours. Some don't even realize that there are TWO Irelands.
>>
>>58095458

i really don't think that applies to irish, you would be much better off learning verbs/sentence structure.

for example, if you just learnt the words from the link in the OP, you might think the way to say

"as i was walking"

is

"mar me bhi siul"

which is totally wrong, it's actually:

"nuair a bhi me ag shiul"

i would instead download this https://pirateproxy.tv/torrent/7577625/Irish_Gaelic_%28Gaeilge%29_Language_Learning_Pack_%28Updated%29

and start there.

>>58095709

nil tu eireannach chun an fhirinne a ra, ta tu ag magadh fum.
>>
>>58094533
Get the Irish language learning pack from the torrents. You won't be able to understand Irish using a simple glossary, the language has a ridiculous degree of idiom and periphrasis when coming from an English speaking point of view. Celtic grammar is also pretty odd.

>>58095709
>Some don't even realize that there are TWO Irelands.
>being a partitionist
>>
>>58095709
>people don't know anything about my shitty countrys history wahhhh!!!
feel happy that some anericans even call themselves after your shithole country
if i was irish (kek) and someone cares about my country and took an interest I would take hat time to teach tem a little bit about it instead of being a self righteous neckbeard
>>
>>58095914
it's a troll.
>>
>>58095709
Because your stupid country is irrelevant
Americans also don't know shit about Romania or Estonia
>>
Fluent Irish Speaker here. My spelling might be bad, but I can speak and do use the language everyday. Ask away.
>>
>>58097016
Is that pic a good way to learn Irish?
>>58095458

Could it work just I learning all the words first and then after learn the grammar and the conjugation and what not?
>>
>>58097016
And is this more accurate than the link in the OP?

>>
>>58097139
You want know how to learn the language? I'd suggest taking my route. Go to one of the Gaeltachaí around the west coast and try pick up it the true way. There is no word for for translation Irish to English, that'd have to be the first thing to get out of your head. If want to continue to learn over the internet, here's what I can suggest;
Facebook group called Gaeilge Amháin
Duolingo
Nualeargais.ie
Read some poetry, watch some short films.
>>58097238
Yes. I had a quick look through it, but a lot of those words contain multiple meanings.
Mar - for example
Bhí mé ann mar gheall ar an drochaimsir
I was there because of the bad weather

Mar a déarfá
So to say

An raibh sé anseo? Bhí, mar mise.
Was he here? Yes, like me.
>>
it sounds like dragon language
>>
>>58097699
Could that second list still be a good starting point? Yes I won't know every meaning to each particular word but could it help at all just to learn the most common words first and THEN later learn the grammar and conjugation and other meanings to those words?

I know English to irish isn't word for word. But just plain memorization of some of the more common words just seems a lot less intellectually overwhelming even I I don't get every single meaning.

Can I do that first? Will it hurt me THAT much in the long run to do that first?
>>
>>58098018
Each person learns differently. I'm sure it would help you, and it wouldn't fuck things up in the long run. Don't get too bogged down on grammar. If anything you should start with learning off phrases and prepositions.
There's an online dictionary (focloir.ie), that has sample audio, and some example sentences of the word in question.
You'll do well.
>>
practically speaking it's useless, even for an Irishman but especially for an American

Still better than learning some ancient sand nigher language I guess, morally speaking

Learn Spanish OP
Lot more useful in your country
>>
>>58098260
Ok cool thanks, I'll definitely check that site out.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions btw and not just spouting out memes
"Muh heritage"
I kek cause I'm not even white.
Half Chicano half pueblo

Also how does that site compare to duolingo cause a lot of people have told me to go there. ??
>>
>>58098390
>I kek cause I'm not even white. Half Chicano half pueblo
Holy shit!
>>
>>58098390
>I kek cause I'm not even white. Half Chicano half pueblo
didn't see that coming
>>
>Nordee Gaeilgoir
>Beirte Eireannach anseo
>people interested in language

Can we start a regular thread or Skype trí Ghaeilge? It would make learning so much easier.

I'll post my Skype if no one wants to post theirs.
>>
MUH
>>
>>58098531
>giving your skype to a bunch of jobless friendless NEETS with nothing but time on their hands
good luck m8
>>
>>58098390
Ná habair é. I always like it when someone finds an interest in my language. The other website is literally just a dictionary, whereas duolingo is for learning.
>>58098531
Tá mo mhicreafón bríste, ach is féidir liom a scriobh.
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 231x218) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 231x218
>>58098390
>tfw I thought I was talking to a white guy.
>>
>>58098626
>jobless NEET
a bit redundant
>>
File: 1460209179675.jpg (148 KB, 601x1320) Image search: [Google]
1460209179675.jpg
148 KB, 601x1320
>>58094533
>know english
>subject verb object
>learn japanese
>subject object verb
>hear about irish
object subject verb

fuck that
>>
>>58095709
The Irish diaspora has accomplished many things and is the only fucking reason that Ireland is relevant in any way shape or form. As such, the diaspora can be "muh heritage" as much as they want ;)
>>
>>58098731
Irish is VSO
>>
>>58098685
Pull together some Jew shekels for a new mic?

>>58098626
It's a throwaway tb h
>>
>>58098685
Out of curiosity do you run into many people in your country who speak Irish?
I hear a lot of people say that the language is dead. Truth???
>>
Someone's probably translated harry potter into gaelic

Why don't your try watchin that OP?
>>
>>58098842
Contrary to popular belief it's far from dead, I speak Irish every day with other fluent Irish speakers in and out of work.
>>
>>58095709

>I'm a real Irishman I promise
>there are TWO Irelands

t. Cletus DaPharaoh Martinez
>>
Too bad Irish nationalism is overwhelmingly far left in nature. I'd rather be Unionist than support Sinn Fein. At least the former is against non-immigration. When I was last in Ireland (2005) it was in the middle of its economic boom and was very noice and White. However Dublin is becoming London in terms of demographics. Sucks.
>>
>>58098786
yeah had to be one of them
>>
>>58098809
I suppose, gimme your skype anyway.
>>58098842
Everybody can speak it, just to a certain extent. Little to none, enough to ask for bread in a shop. Personally, I've only once met another Irish speak in a pub similar to a coffeeshop in Amsterdam. We got high and chatted about politics and Gerry Adams all through Irish. Great night.
>>
>>58098977
Qaswerqwer
>>
>>58095709
G'way ye big gee.
>>
>>58098885
TG4 had Harry Potter dubbed in Irish airing not long ago, but finding their dubbed shit proves difficult. I still can't find the episodes of Justice League they did which is a shame.
>>
>>58098918
Forgive my "muh heritage" opinion, but the Gaelic language should be far far far far far more heavily promoted in Ireland. Language is such a core tenant of ethnic identity and being one of the last Celtic languages makes Gaelic all the more important. It's also gorgeous as fuck.
>>
>>58098954
>Too bad Irish nationalism is overwhelmingly far left in nature
Don't go by SF memes. Fine Gael are centre-right (though they're hardly as jingoistic as SF) and FF are centrist (with a history of ignoring EU equality legislation).

>>58099039
>far more heavily promoted
You're preaching to the choir, most people with an interest in the language already think the Government should do more (though there's already domestic demand from people for Gaelscoileanna).
>>
>>58098918
Any of your tv shows or news programs in irish?
>>
>>58098931
>Northern Ireland IS us!

t. Delusional assblasted nationalist
>>
>>58099094
Everything on tg4. There's a lot of shows, dubbed/subtitled movies.
>>
File: Banner_of_the_Blueshirts.png (11 KB, 744x496) Image search: [Google]
Banner_of_the_Blueshirts.png
11 KB, 744x496
Please bring back the Blueshirts. Fucking hate Sinn Fein leftist diatribe. If not, I think the BNP is a great choice as they unlike the NF, don't hate the Irish and a unified white nationalist Isles would be elder god tier.

>/ppppppolll/
>>
>>58099149

Fuck off Cletus
>>
>>58099183
>Please bring back the Blueshirts
They're in power right now (as caretakers though).
>>
>>58099094
The news comes in Irish first, there is plenty of Irish shows aswell as TG4 where everything on it is in irish. Some show up on RTE now and then aswell.
>>
>>58098954
I don't think we have any properly nationalist party. I'm skeptical that SF really cares about anything outside a border poll, they seem to want to fill the hole of a far left as means to an end. Too bad we can't have a non-meme nationalist party with good Irish language policy.
>>
>>58099210
>Cletus
>Implying southerners care about ireland
It's mostly faggots in New York or Boston
>>
File: 1200px-Flag_of_Ulster.svg.png (19 KB, 1200x670) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Flag_of_Ulster.svg.png
19 KB, 1200x670
Friendly reminder that pic related is the TRUE flag of Ulster. Loyalists, please stop appropriating Irish symbols (red hand commandos, etc)
>>
>>58099396

What part of "fuck off cletus" are you having trouble with? The fuck, the off or the cletus?
>>
>>58099396
Many Irishmen fought (9% of all the Confederacy were Irish Catholics) in the Confederacy and the most famous Confederate infantry brigade was made up nearly entirely by Irish Catholic dock workers from New Orleans (pic related, Louisiana Tigers). Also Irish were treated as equals in the South unlike the North where they were treated like fucking trash and made to go die for niggers.

Southern hostility towards the Irish was thanks to the completely fucked up post war policies of the North. The Ku Klux Klan being founded by lower class Scottish Presbyterians, certainly did not help despite the fact that these same Klansmen viewed the Irish as their brothers before and during the war.
>>
>>58099696
I never knew that, but have you got sauce?
>>
>>58099884
Dude, sauce is everywhere my friend. They have Irish festivals in the south all the time as well. Don't let Boston Irish be the picture Irish people get when they think of us Muh Heritage folks. Bostoners are the worst of us just like North Jersey Italians are the worst of the Italian Americans.
>>
>>58100041
I know am American who lived in cali, but moved here a few years back. He told me people from the south only like people from the south. He said he'd be treated like a foreigner.
>>
>>58100041
>Bostoners are the worst of us
Fuck you
>>
File: irish-confeds.jpg (21 KB, 484x287) Image search: [Google]
irish-confeds.jpg
21 KB, 484x287
>>58100160
It's understandable. Southern whites are treated like demons and I being a New Englander born and raised have always been disgusted by treatment. I have no idea why they are still so patriotic considering our media loves to insult them every chance it gets. I'm emigrating to Australia soon, so I won't have to deal with this insane shithole anymore.
>>
>>58100398
Prove me wrong babe. Thank goodness my ancestors arrived in New York. New York Irish are a cut above as well. Feels noice. Baltimore and Southern are best.
>>
>>58098971
VSO is probably the easiest 'strange' aspect of Irish to understand. Of course in the end it doesn't work out very well because Irish expresses things weirdly and the subject in English ends up effectively being the object ('I have a thing' ends up as 'a thing is at me'). Worse yet are the identification clauses where a particle is used instead of a verb and the subject generally comes at the end.
>>
>>58100041
That's crazy I never knew that. I thought people from the south only liked people from the south like the anon said above. Thanks for info friend.
>>
>>58100629
The hardest part of grammar would have to be without a doubt, an tuiseal ginideach.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.