[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/ topics/health/ >USA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: 1431688303055.png (11 KB, 411x387) Image search: [Google]
1431688303055.png
11 KB, 411x387
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/topics/health/

>USA ranks #11 in health, ahead of the middle of the pack
>USA ranks #3 for self-reported health
why do we get so much shit for our health system again? It's not perfect, but after ACA our healthcare system is near identical to Netherland's.
>>
>be American
>get shot
>pay $100,000 in hospital bills

>be European
>get bombed by a Muslim
>pay 0 euros in hospital bills
>>
>>58066812
But they do pay, it's why USA has by far the highest household wealth.

http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/topics/income/
>>
File: 1444787809564.jpg (133 KB, 776x678) Image search: [Google]
1444787809564.jpg
133 KB, 776x678
>countries ranked below #1
>>
>>58066812
When I was 13 I went on a skiing trip and broke my right leg below the knee. I was sent in an ambulance to a local county hospital and they patched me up and discharged me in 48 hours. I didn't give them my ID or social security number and they didn't ask if I had health insurance. So when my parents came to pick me up they filled out the paper work.

So my dad's work didn't cover me or my other siblings. Just my mom. He got the coverage before we were all born, so it only covered my mom and him. So we get a bill for $28,000.

My dad brought all his tax returns, bank statements, and proof my mom is a homemaker. The hospital financial department saw that we couldn't afford to pay them the amount as it would cause us misery and would bring us into poverty. So they asked for $3000 and waived the ambulance bill.

Don't know why people have this hardcore stereo-type that uninsured people will end up broke for the rest of their lives. The hospital is more than willing to compromise when you aren't insured. If you can prove how much you got and what you have saved (and what you're savings are going towards: retirement,house,car,etc) they won't bankrupt you.
>>
>>58067018
>uninsured
it's like playing the reverse lottery. No sympathy.
>>
>>58067018
So wait, all this bullshit about higher income and your family coukdnt afford a 28k $ bill? Ill send as much cum as possibile to you, poor things
>>
>>58067071
see
>>58067039
>>
>>58067071
It's almost as if the country includes people of all income levels.
>>
>>58067071
If my dad were to pay the 28k hospital bill it would set him back years in savings that were going towards his retirement. My dad worked with a construction company that did renovations on homes through out the county.

Anyways my dad got us all insurance after and he was paying close to $500 a month to cover all of us up to 2 million. My brother broke thumb in a skateboarding accident and my dad paid $700ish out of pocket to cover the $10,000+ bill.
>>
People act like everyone is constantly in and out of hospitals, breaking limbs every other week.
>>
>>58067243
>Anyways my dad got us all insurance after and he was paying close to $500 a month to cover all of us up to 2 million. My brother broke thumb in a skateboarding accident and my dad paid $700ish out of pocket to cover the $10,000+ bill.

your dad got you guys shitty insurance for $500 a month m8
he might have been a bit incompetent
>>
>>58067243
that's just insane

it's even more insane when you consider that it's insurance companies paying that and not government money where you think they could gouge it better
>>
File: 1447362394209.jpg (51 KB, 807x537) Image search: [Google]
1447362394209.jpg
51 KB, 807x537
>>58067269
The truth is that 'socialized healthcare' punishes the healthy taxpayers.
USA will never have anything like the NHS for at least another 40-50 years when the baby boomers are dead and gone. It's not possible, end of discussion. Even requiring things like not being allowed to turn away people with preexisting conditions hurts the average joe.

The uncomfortable truth is that old and chronically sick people take a lot of money to take care of. And right now, we have way too much of both. Baby boomer generation is retiring and they would take up a massive amount of tax dollars(ffs just look at medicare alone...), USA is covered in obese people who have constant health issues etc.

So we can either choose to make young taxpayers give up basically all their income to take care of obese people and people who got everything handed to them when they were younger and expect to be taken care of when they're old(aka baby boomers), or we can tell them to go fuck themselves and they brought it onto themselves to begin with.
I know where I stand on this issue.
I'm not a libertarian in the least and would prefer some kind of national healthcare, but it will never happen until the baby boomers die. Ever. It would simply be logistically unfeasible.
>>
>>58067311
It's pretty messed up. A lot of Americans rationalize that we get taxed at like 25% compared to countries with free healthcare paying 30%-50% of their income in taxes. The whole we pay less in taxes argument.

I feel it should be free healthcare world wide. It's the christian thing to do.
>>
File: 1440334037878.png (573 KB, 1106x1012) Image search: [Google]
1440334037878.png
573 KB, 1106x1012
>>58067431
and to back my claim up:
we have 76.4 million baby boomers, 25% of the population. That doesn't include older than baby boomers or younger than will still be over 65 while they're alive.

2/5ths of the entire NHS budget goes to elderly care, making up 16% of their population.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/01/ageing-britain-two-fifths-nhs-budget-spent-over-65s

£7,000 a year for an elderly person to be taken care of by the NHS, almost $10,000 even at current exchange.
Let's assume we can get our costs down to NHS costs(we can't), it would cost us just a bit under $1 trillion USD a year to take care of the elderly in healthcare alone. No social security, no disability, etc. Just healthcare for the elderly. These people pay no taxes.
It's simply not feasible.

BTW, the average NHS care per year for a person under 65 is above £1,500 according to the data there. That's about $2,130 USD. To take care of all the US population sans baby boomers would be $516 billion USD.
>>
>>58067606
We pay to man many of those countries military bases so they don't have to, and that in turn gives their budgets the room to fund generous social programs like universal healthcare.
>>
>>58067754
>, the average NHS care per year for a person under 65 is above £1,500
about*, not above.
Elderly simply take too much to take care of.
>>
File: 1428700130574.png (135 KB, 483x442) Image search: [Google]
1428700130574.png
135 KB, 483x442
>>58067754
Underlying the argument for mass immigration here and elsewhere is that they'll fatten up the youngest age brackets and fund eldercare.
>>
>>58067849
The problem is that they don't.
Foreigners and people born to immigrants make up over 70% of the unemployed in Sweden.
Immigrants in USA take more welfare dollars per capita than any other group.
etc
>>
>>58067892
It is racist to know those figures.
>>
>>58068002
It probably is in Sweden t b h
>>
I feel like the USA can never have free healthcare because of our population size. Does China have free healthcare or even India?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.