[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't America like vacations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
Why doesn't America like vacations?
>>
vacations r fo suckas
>>
>>57619293
Again, just because we dont mandate it doesn't mean we don't get it. Its supposed to be used as a job incentive
>>
>>57621171
>Most Americans only get two weeks off right now. But many don't even take the full two weeks out of fear of losing their jobs. One in four gets no paid vacation at all, not even holidays. Overall, Americans have less vacation time than workers in any other advanced economy.

t. Robert Reich who proposed a three week yearly holiday for Americans in front of congress and got subsequentöy laughed at
>>
Business runs the country and has been since the Industrial era. Our bosses dictate our lives or it's pink card time and we're booted so we try to be the better man out of everyone and skip out in case they think we've succumbed to idleness.
>>
Because we're borderline slaves. Just working our asses off to pay bills
>>
>>57621360
>Robert Reich
What is the consensus on him? He always seemed like a very sensible person to me.
>>
>>57621360
They aren't going to get fired for taking those days, they are just paranoid and stupid. If they fall behind on work because of those days they might, but not because they take the days.

He got laughed at for a good reason, its retarded to mandate 21 days off to everyone down to the guy who flips burgers
>>
>>57621585
My impression is that he is sensible on some issues but retarded on others, ex. having the federal minimum wage be 15$, which is just simply too high and hasn't been tested properly yet.
>>
>>57621171
>More than half of Americans, 56%, have not taken a vacation in the last year, according to the insurance company Allianz Global Assistance. That’s equivalent to 135 million people. The survey defined vacation as a week off from work during which those surveyed travelled at least 100 miles away from home.
>>
>>57621698
That just means they either stayed at home on their off days or worked. That doesn't mean we don't get it retard.
>>
>>57621678
Yeah we should test it first. Do it here in Texas (please)
>>
File: spurgel spärgel.png (39 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
spurgel spärgel.png
39 KB, 800x600
>>57621698
>>57621360
>Amerislaves
>>
>>57621920
>Most workers, even if they take vacation, tend to keep the guilt and worries over work pile-up at bay by staying connected with the office.

Amerislaves indeed :DD

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/07/america-vacation-workaholic-culture-labor-day
>>
I get 21 days off and I usually just save them for weeks I feel lazy. I think most people don't really care since weekends are the days that you can actually get together with friends to do shit. Weekdays are pretty boring alone.
>>
>>most people in the U.S. only get to have about two weeks off, and many don’t even use all of their vacation time out of fear of losing their job or appearing lazy in the eyes of their co-workers and managers.

>Be American
>have a holiday
>get fired (at) by your boss
>>
>>57621920
>replying to yourself
Oh, Pekka.
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 455x443) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 455x443
>>57621920
>>57619293
>>57621360
>>57621698
There are nine countries with no minimum wage (Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland.

>You're LITERALLY able to work and get paid nothing
>Euroslaves
>>
>>57621857
Its most likely going to fail horribly (Its already having negative affects in places with it rising up to 15 like Seattle, less jobs) so no unless you are a retarded person with absolutely no skills what so ever AND you ALREADY have a minimum wage job AND you can guarantee you won't be laid off after the wage increase THEN you should not want a rise in minimum wage.

>>57621920
>>57622059
>>57622189
(You)
>>
Vaccations are for brown people.
>>
pretty sure standard here is 30 vacation days + ~10 mandatory holidays.
>>
>>57622469
Work is the pay!
>>
>>57622469
We have different minium wages for different jobs so there isn't a national one
>>
>>57622626
Average here is 19 days, plus at least 4 holidays (unpaid though).
>>
>>57622638
>Rants and (You)'s himself about how we work too much
>Work is the pay!
>>
>>57622687
Your autism is showing m8
>>
>>57622469
there definitely is a minimum wage of 8.5€ here, except for romanians that pick our strawberries I think.
>>
>>57622469

pretty much every profession has its own union,and unions have negotiated their own minimum wage for their people.
the "no minimum wage" is just a meme to allow human trafficking and slave labor for their victims,since the companies that run those have their guys in the parliament.
it used to be like that in the us too,before reagan
>>
>>57622676
I think it's the fact that most of them are unpaid is why a lot of people don't take them here. That and there's simply a more workaholic culture.

My dad is obsessed with his work and never stops talking about it. He gets 4 weeks paid vacation but it's odd if he uses more than 1, if any. I don't understand how people like that can exist desu.
>>
>>57622556
Seattle is booming. For what reason, Idk.
>>
>>57622687
I am not the same, you know there's more than one of us?
Also while we don't have law mandated minimum wage, we kinda have minimum wage depending on sector your work at.
>>
>>57619293
I know a guy at my work who works seven days a week for months at a time. I don't know why, it's like an almost autistic obsession.
>>
>>57622469
Idiot.
>>
File: public-holidays.png (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
public-holidays.png
17 KB, 480x360
>>57619293
The data is no enough.
We need to check the number of public holidays also.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.