[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Teaching English in France
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: napoleon.jpg (539 KB, 1332x1600) Image search: [Google]
napoleon.jpg
539 KB, 1332x1600
I'm considering going to France later this year to teach English. I have a bachelor's degree in History, and I am fluent in reading French. (My mother's side is French, I have French cousins).

Questions:
Where in France is best to live for expats/people trying to integrate into aboriginal French society?

Which regions/cities should I avoid, for any reason?

Are there programs which would allow me to teach english without a formal TEFL/CELTA/ etc certification, and if not, from an economical perspective, should I obtain certification here in the US or in France?

Any general advice for someone who hasn't been to France? Any comparisons/contrasts with the US?

Are there other European countries (preferably Romance-speaking, given my current knowledge) where I could teach English or which would be better?

Any expats want to tell me about their general experiences with travelling and what I should expect, in France and in general?

Much thanks.
>>
File: LENIN.jpg (41 KB, 424x600) Image search: [Google]
LENIN.jpg
41 KB, 424x600
Anyone?
>>
I'd be interested in hearing what people think, I've been considering visiting France for some time.
>>
>>57484617
thanks
>>
>>57483799
>Where in France is best to live for expats/people trying to integrate into aboriginal French society?

Auvergne

>Which regions/cities should I avoid, for any reason?

Anything but Auvergne is a warzone

>Are there programs which would allow me to teach english without a formal TEFL/CELTA/ etc certification, and if not, from an economical perspective, should I obtain certification here in the US or in France?

How the fuck would I know that

>Any general advice for someone who hasn't been to France? Any comparisons/contrasts with the US?

Don't try to hug people
>>
File: 1426389889154.jpg (3 KB, 149x143) Image search: [Google]
1426389889154.jpg
3 KB, 149x143
>>57483799
You're not an "exap"

You're an immigrant
>>
>>57484834
expat

>Which regions/cities should I avoid, for any reason?
You should avoid everything but Paris if you're not fluent in french
>>
>>57483799
I can't answer the technical questions but here are my two cents :

Paris is a nice city if you're young and not too poor. It's great for students and life here is nice if you're used to big cities. I'm saying that before all the other French people tell you about hiw it's a smelly shithole filled with Blacks and Arabs. It's not true, and Parisians stop being cunts very soon, especially if you don't act like a tourist. Don't believe in the memes.

You also have many other choices : Montpellier, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Rennes, Strasbourg... The quality of life is great here, just avoid depressing regions like in the North. Many cities are great outside Paris. But don't choose a too small one.

You'll find a job. French people are very self-conscious about their English, and we don't speak it because we're too embarassed. You can give lessons at your client's home, or use some organisms like Wall Street Institute or others. I'm not knowledgable about that at all, but I'm sure there's some private or public institute to hire you, and a lot of people who want to learn.

There are many cultural differerences between both countries. There are many websites talking about that, but I assume that since you teach, you must be pretty open-minded and adaptable, and not a stupid culture-shocked tourist.

And to follow up on that, try do learn spoken French too. It's basic courtesy and you'll have a hard time only speaking English. French people are nice but don't come here expecting special treatment.

I may be able to answer some more precise question. Good luck anon !
>>
>>57485158
Thank you.

I should add, I am somewhat conversational in speech, and I have family, mostly concentrated around Paris, whom I could practice with once I arrive.
>>
>>57484834
I never claimed to be an expat.
>>
>>57484785
What is special about Auvergne as opposed to the rest of France?

Also, define 'warzone'.
>>
>>57484785
>Auvergne is a warzone

What
>>
>>57483799
You should also ask this on /trv/ I guess, slow board but in the end you should have good informations
>>
>>57488127
Nothing. It's the emptiest and most boring (or comfy) region of France, there is no big city here. It's like France's Montana. And "warzone" is a stupid meme. There's no danger anywhere.

>>57487986
Then there should be absolutely no problem for you, godspeed anon.
>>
>>57488424
good idea, will do. thanks
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.