[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learn a Language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 205x246
What's the best way to learn a language? Is Rosetta Stone reliable or is it overrated?
>>
That better just be a standard cover and not one made specifically for a gaelic language set.
>>
>gaelic
>Black and Chinese on front
wew lad
>>
Overrated. Just take a class with a human instructor if you can.
>>
>>57406708
Not an option for me
>>
>learning gaylick
for what purpose? if you're looking for a dead language you may as well learn latin
>>
>gaelic
thats still a thing?
>>
>>57406519
Anime y Duolingo
>>
>>57406799
this
>>
>>57406799
and online games ftw
>>
>>57406519
Grammar: beginner textbooks. Make sure they're beginner. PDFs online (all Romance languages have solid resourcesn, talking first page results of complete books. Even Romanian. Google "SEELRC" for South Slavic and Romanian, for example. Russian also have good websites, especially "masterrussian")

Vocabulary - Memrise and duolingo. Memrise primarily. TV, youtube and other forms of entertainment
>>
Duolingo and a Grammar book. Finish those then start watching the news, movies, and tv, and reading books and articles. Find a way to talk to native speakers, or at least advanced learners or second language speakers.
>>
>>57406519
>Learning Irish.
For what purpose?
Not even the Irish speak Irish anymore.
>>
File: 1459204063301.jpg (186 KB, 650x607) Image search: [Google]
1459204063301.jpg
186 KB, 650x607
>>57406987
>>
>>57406799

Duoling is shit and boring, EXTREMELY boring.
>>
>>57406943
What is memrise?
>>
>>57407050
>hue hue hue
>>
>>57407020
>be irish
>get ANGLO'D
>>
>>57407050
Yea duolingo is extremely slow as well. It's also incredibly tunneled in that even throughout all the courses you really don't learn much besides some phrases and conjugation but i've never gotten to a really high level
>>
>>57406987
The church my mom goes to does mass in English 8-9 and Irish 9:30-10:30
>>
>>57407135
>mass in irish

Well shit now I'm regretting not going to church in Ireland
>>
>>57407186
Honestly, most of the people attending don't even speak Irish, they just go to the Irish service if they sleep in, or as a nationalist thing. My mom's is pretty shitty, but I think she understands it.
>>
so duolingo is shit then?
what else is out there?
not taking a class so please don't suggest that
>>
>>57407052
Like duolingo but not as annoying. Phone app only AFAIK.
>>
>>57407052
A vocabulary building tool that's more detailed but a bit more dry than Duolingo. Also excellent for topics not relating to language learning. I used it to learn psychology even

It's available as an application as well
>>
>>57407257
Duolingo isn't that bad, you just have to do it in combination with a proper grammar book. You develop good vocabulary, and intuitive understanding of basic syntax. You just don't get the more complex rules, which you can get from a book.
>>
>>57407257
Get basic grammar and vocab down (do this however you please). Then start reading a fuckload. Try to not look up every word you don't know, try to figure it out from context. Watch movies in your target language as well so you can hear it spoken out loud.

Funpost in the /int/ language thread of your target language. That's always a good way to interact with native speakers.
>>
>>57407257
If you are not taking a course, your best bet is to google "learn x" and check all the sites to see which is best, buying textbooks which varies vastly depending on the language/book. You can also utilize other methods but honestly listening to a language early really doesn't help that much, you need to grasp the very basic alphabet/grammar before that.

You need to mix pre-made phrases that you just memorize with sound grammar knowledge, I find I learn a lot more by listening and pickup up phrases than learning from books, but the key is just to pick up as much as you can because many people are "fluent" but only know enough to do simple tasks because of memorizing phrases which get your point across
>>
>>57407257
When you're learning a languagethere is no definitive "shit". Duolingo is a good "non daily" vocabulary build up. You learn nouns and adjectives that "bind" you towards a "descriptive" approach, rather than free speech. You will know it's an orange, where it stands and what colour is it and perhaps who plucked it but beyond that...

Don't wait for us to spoonfeed you. There is no definitive approach. You have to try things and see how they agree with your dynamics of learning. There are no shortcuts here
>>
File: 8.jpg (18 KB, 240x253) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
18 KB, 240x253
>>57406519
>/int/ autist with 1/32 Irish ancestry learns Gaelic from crap software

>Nigerian refugees in Ireland learn English from their Irish girlfriends
>>
so far i've been learning dutch best by watching/reading dutch news broadcasts and dicking around in the /nederdraad/ general
>>
>>57407511
What are we to make of this O wise one?
>>
>>57407593
The lads over at /luso/ are proper mint, but they're rare nowadays. /ex-yu/ shoots you down, /balk/ and /rus/ kill your desire through macho-style self deprecation, Latinos and Spaniards are bipolar, the French ignore you if you can't follow their tempo...Swedes are a stiffer version of the French...Italians are the milder version of the French with an accent on passive aggression. Sue me, my fellow Europeans with their generals...we need a divine intervention to pull our heqds heads out of our asses
>>
Learn Spanish OP
A lot more useful in our country.
Almost anythings more useful than gaelic though desu family feud
>>
>gaelic
>>
rosetta stone is the meme answer desu fampai
>>
>>57406519
Rosetta Stone is garbage.

1. Learn the alphabet/syllabary if it's different.
2. Find the 3000 most common words in a frequency list. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Frequency_lists or Google.
3. Learn Anki and create flash cards with your frequency list. I use a spreadsheet for my list so I can easily add/remove columns and import changes into Anki if I want. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anki_%28software%29
4. Learn the grammar/conjugation.
5. Now you just read as much as you can, watch shows, watch the news, listen to music, etc. You'll understand 99% of text from your 3000 words; now you pick up new vocabulary from context as you come across it just like you do in your native language. Read blogs and forums of other people learning the same language and see what questions they have.

Anki has a steep learning curve because it's heavily customizable it's beneficial to have knowledge of HTML/CSS. You could just create a Memrise account and use one of the courses somebody else already made.

3000 words
10 words a day = 300 days
15 words a day = 200 days
30 words a day = 100 days
100 words a day = 30 days
>>
File: 1345492384535.png (427 KB, 900x750) Image search: [Google]
1345492384535.png
427 KB, 900x750
>>57407111
No shit.

All these "language learning" websites and apps aren't meant to be used as standalone means of learning something as complex as a new language. You're supposed to supplement it with reading [text]books, taking notes on them; immersion by watching videos or listening to music in the targeted language; and just general research on how the language works.

If anything, services like Duolingo or Lingvist are supplements themselves.
>>
>>57406519
>>57406519
I sometimes put Pimsleur (insert language here) Comprehensive at the background and play video games like that.While it may not be the best way to learn a language it definitely helps.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.