[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How could the Sahara realistically be utilized? Could we just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9
File: 1200px-Sahara_satellite_hires.jpg (167 KB, 1200x673) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Sahara_satellite_hires.jpg
167 KB, 1200x673
How could the Sahara realistically be utilized? Could we just built a ton of nuclear power plants there so that if there is an accident, it is contained to what is already a wasteland? It might be a bit of a stretch/inefficient to build power lines all the way from there to Europe, but they could probably power sub Saharan Africa, which they desperately need given the recent energy shortages in West Africa.
>>
As a dumping pit for the bodies of non-whites
>>
Sounds like a good idea.
>>
China already investing in nuclear plants there white boy
>>
You want to build nuclear power plants in a place with no water?
>>
>>57356250
Pipelines exist. We're building a pipeline for water from the great Lakes to the American southwest, I'm sure going from the ocean to a few hundred miles inland would be easy.
>>
You clearly know absolutely nothing about civil engineering, nuclear engineering or energy engineering, so what the fuck makes you assume that your opinions are worth sharing?

Seriously shut the fuck and jump off a bridge you idiot.
>>
File: 05042.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2056) Image search: [Google]
05042.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2056
They are already working on a proyect to reforest the area using solar energy and water from the sea and also China has been investing.
>>
>>57356341
Calm down m8.
>>
>>573563680
source?
>reforest
it was never forested in the first place, although there is a theory that it was steppe thousands of years ago
>>
>>57356125
I don't think it's a good idea to trust countries with the ongoing threat of Islamic militants and a general lack of education and expertise with nuclear plants. Solar power is probably a better bet since it's a desert and all

If you have enough energy though a whole bunch of desalination plants could be built and then you could expand outwards from various points in the desert to make it green using drought resistant plants. But we'll all be dead before it makes sense to sink the massive amount of money required to do that on a large scale
>>
>>57356125
It's always been utilized, it's serves as a barrier from the sub Saharans
>>
>>57356125
no nuclear plants b/c no water for cooling, it could be used for wind turbines tho.
>>
>>57356125
Desert folklore+petra
>>
File: nope.png (2 MB, 1200x673) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
2 MB, 1200x673
nope, sorry family
>>
File: ryeuem.jpg (37 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
ryeuem.jpg
37 KB, 400x300
>>57356125
giant cat litter box
>>
File: 1459738621969.png (1 MB, 1200x673) Image search: [Google]
1459738621969.png
1 MB, 1200x673
>>57356125
Let's just plop some nuclear material right down by the most radical caliphate in the world. Great idea??
>>57356207
You're funny, I like you.
>>
>>57357387
>No more having to deal with cat shit
>The locals of that area smell better than they did before
It's a win win
>>
>>57356125
as a massive graveyard for muslims
>>
>>57357278
Basically the fifth win condition
>>
Stop wanting to industrialize the entire planet, holy shit. Not every inch of land should be converted into human use.
>tfw I'm becoming a hippy
>>
>>57356207
Oh here he goes again. Look at you Canada, posting on /int/ thinking you just said some smart shit.

Out of all countries that post here Canadians are the ones that piss me off the most. Their entire fucking culture makes no sense. What exactly is it that you do? Wear flannel shirts and slurp syrup?

If I think of America I think of guns, pop culture and freedom. Sure, lots of ignorant baboons but at least they wear their retardation like a badge of honor, use it as a cultural identity, their flag promotes the unity of the country with all these stripes and stars.

Germany is orderly, a country that prides itself on its rules and their citizens who follow them. It's also the country with the biggest responsibility when it comes to destroying Europe with its two world wars and government sanctioned refugee crisis. Their flag waves strong colors, black, red and gold. A dominant flag for a dominant country.

Russia is strong and stubborn to a fault. They live hard lives and don't complain about it. Obviously the entire country is pretty much a shithole but it breeds strong people who can take care of themselves. Their flag represents the cold, the white, the blue but also the burning passion in the red, it all comes together to signify that their country is bleak but there is strength in that.

But Canada, what are they fucking known for? Being "nice", i guess? Is that your role in the world? Being fucking nice? That's not an achievement. Everyone can be nice. It's easy to be nice. You just don't have to say anything bad.
So what did your fucking country decide to put on their flag to show the entire world what Canada is all about? A leaf. A FUCKING LEAF. You decided that you like to slurp your shitty syrup so damn much that you might as well put the fucking leaf that it's made of on the flag. You don't even respect your own country so why the hell should I.
>>
File: 1456711718017-tv.jpg (90 KB, 615x615) Image search: [Google]
1456711718017-tv.jpg
90 KB, 615x615
>>57357593
Mmhmm, preach it, honey.
>>
Commie blocks in the desert and all the fertile area should grow bananas.
>>
>>57357593

Hit'em where it hurts, Alberto.
>>
Solar panels
>>
>>57357593

We are easily the most successful British colony that stayed British. Our culture is quite clearly defined by its exemplary levels of public safety, income equality, beautiful landscapes, and peacefulness.

Your country is a fucking shithole by comparison. Rife with violence, favelas where you will get stabbed over a wrong look, and frank corruption at every level of government.

Don't even try your smart mouthing with me.
>>
>>57357593
nice pasta/10
>>
>>57358818
>Our culture is quite clearly defined by its exemplary levels of public safety, income equality
we're nigger/america-tier compared to europe in this
>beautiful landscapes
Canada is a frozen wasteland with like a couple of pretty mountains. Kill yourself.
>peacefulness
see #1
>>
File: tumblr_nqgzr0PS4V1rr5kcxo1_500.jpg (34 KB, 500x462) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqgzr0PS4V1rr5kcxo1_500.jpg
34 KB, 500x462
>>57356341
Don't tell an American what to do! You're only tiny and irrelevant Canada!
>>
>>57358818
Lmao I went to Quebec once and a Sikh with a French accent yelled at me at a pub for speaking English

You're so cucked you let an entire group of frogs metastasize inside of you, refusing to speak English and forcing you all to learn French.
>>
>>57358818
>income equality
>British
Wut. I thought Britain was pretty renowned for their class system.
>>
>>57358818
>Stayed british

kek of the day
>>
It's really windy and that'll carry fallout really far in the event of a disaster. Solar and wind would be better, despite both being memes.
>>
>>57358874
As much as I hate Canada, Nova Scotia was absolutely stunning. Would post pictures but Androids default to fucking 3,000,000 yottabytes per picture.
>>
>>57358741
The problem is you'd constantly have to clean all the dust off of them, and nuclear is way more cost effective.
>>
>>57358923
>solar and wind energy are memes
How so? Surely with all of that land, even a relatively inefficient method of harvesting energy could be put to good use.
>>
>>57358818
>Most successful
>current year
For how long family?

TL note: 'family' means '家庭'.
>>
>>57356125
Solar power, honestly, a gigantic solar project in the sahara could probably energize the entire world. It would be very hard though, and you'd probably need troops guarding it constantly. Nuclear is a cool idea, but you could do that in the middle of the ocean or something, the Sahara is perfect for solar though. One of the few places.

Concentrating solar power plants are nearly as efficient at using sunlight as coal plants are at using coal.
>>
>>57356280
The southwest just needs to stop at this point.
>>
>>57356368
They should do that in Australian desert but it would cost way to much money.
>>
>>57358874

Right. I forgot the one other thing we are exceptionally good at is producing self-loathing, limp-wristed cowardly man-woman faggots.
>>
>>57358956
Yeah those would be the way to go. It's a meme because they're expensive to set up compared to conventional energy sources. And setting up the infrastructure to get the power from the middle of nowhere to somewhere useful means it'll be a meme. It's like mining ice from Antarctica.
>>
>>57358957

I don't know how to say "Fuck off" in Lebanese but hopefully you'd know, part of your school curriculum right?
>>
>>57356207
t. Rapinder Ali Zhang-Singh
>>
>>57359008
Don't be so hard on yourself my friend.
>>
>>57356125
>It might be a bit of a stretch/inefficient to build power lines all the way from there to Europe,
Undersea power transmission cables kiddo
>>
Make a huge pipe system and use water to power steam generators.
>>
>>57358982
>nuclear reactor in the middle of the ocean
This is a bad idea. That shit spreads fast through ocean currents in the event of a meltdown, I don't even want to imagine putting it somewhere that would allow it to pollute an entire ocean (there's a map of the Fukushima radiation in the Pacific, it stretches all the way to Hawaii).

>>57359022
We already turn out profits after building oil pipelines that cross continents. If the supply or demand for oil becomes low enough, developments will be made in solar panels to make them more cost-effective and provide a profitable infrastructure.
>>
>>57359112
What I'm saying, is that the sahara is no better for a nuclear power plant than anywhere else, but it is a particularly good region for generating solar power.

Maybe we should just turn the sahara into a giant power plant that powers the rest of the human race.
>>
>build a shitton of nuclear power plants
>built a shitton of water desalination plants and pipe that clean water to automated farms in the Sahara once that is technologically feasible
I know it's a long way off, but still
>>
>>57356548
Desert's ecosystem is probably too fragile for this.
>>
>>57359138
No, there's actually a lot of geographical restrictions on where you can safely put a nuclear power plant. They need to be protected from any sort of natural disaster, so someplace where it never floods, no earthquakes, etc etc is ideal.
>>
>>57359138
I agree with you there senpai. Though there should definitely be some desert left, certain parts might have a place in human history and culture. But at least for now it's a good idea to just go crazy with panels.

Also, learn how to use a comma. It's good for first impressions.
>>
>>57359037
Lebanese born residing in Australia: 92,870

Chinese born residing in Canada: 1,487,580

A little research would go a long way to avoiding these sort of misunderstandings.

Our curriculum usually offers choices between Japanese, French and German. With Chinese and Spanish recently becoming additional options.
How are they over there, ma colère ami asiatique?
>>
>>57359112
Oil is far, far more worthwhile to transport than the yields of solar and wind energy infrastructure.
>>
Follow through on the big project that planned to flood the massive depressions
>>
>>57359227
For now
>>
>>57359179
That makes sense, thanks for the info.

>>57359191
The best part about the Sahara is that there isn't a lot of human or animal life there, so SJWs couldn't complain too much, especially since a lot of the power would be going to dindus in sub saharan Africa.

That being said, the big oil companies would fight against any major renewable energy initiatives unless they got most of the profits somehow.
>>
>>57359004
That seems like a nice idea since Straya is fucking huge and most of it is desertic.
>>
>>57356125
Why would you try to find an use to a place which has up to 50 degrees during summer? Africa as a whole is very hot, and you may say that the desert is heating it up. But no - such place would turn uninhabitable by Europeans and (northern) Mongoloids since the solar radiation is too strong. It's no use in changing it, Africa hosts no important agriculture yet it is not only desert.

See Australia - they can't make anything in that barren land, and only the shores are inhabited.
>>
>>57359326
>why would you try to find a use for a giant patch of land we aren't using?

That's the whole point of innovation my friend. If we're going to live on this planet, we're going to take everything it has to offer.
>>
>>57359004
There's actually mega engineering projects considered to flood the Victoria Desert with desalinated water and use special plants to help fix the soil and change weather patterns to bring rain. Another one is to flood Lake Eyre with water to change the climate of that region.
>>
>>57359382
>take everything it has to offer
I hate people who think like this. Stop it. The Earth is meant to be used for cultivating humankind and other species, not destroying everything just to help only humankind.
>>
>>57359276
>>57359326
It isn't that bad. While not ideal for human habitation, a lot of it is perfectly fine for animal grazing and crop farming. And we run a pretty large food surplus for export, the population would have to grow very substantially before such measures begin to be needed.

>>57359382
I'm all for using everything at offer and replacing nearly everything that is worthless with something that isn't, but as I said above it isn't really necessary due to scale. There are much better options than putting energy infrastructure in the middle of nowhere when cheaper and more efficient methods are available and we would have to increase consumption an extraordinary amount before such measures even began to even appear viable alternatives.
>>
>>57359513
Building a massive solar plant to replace the fossil fuel dependency we have now would help the biosphere you hippy.

I sounded really edgy in that comment, but believe me, I am all for saving this planet, I just want to do it with as little sacrifice of quality of human life as possible.
>>
>>57359513
We have been cultivated. We achieved sapience. The most valuable gift of the universe. Destruction for destruction's sake is of course deplorable, but if necessary; trading our first home and our progenitors for our own sake is an obvious deal to take.

Nothing has value, nothing has beauty, nothing has meaning unless there are beings such as we to shitpost about them. We are the miracle child of this rock and while it remains the holy mother, we far outstrip its value.
>>
>>57359595
I'm not sure you grasp the issues of solar or the Sahara at all let alone your little care for the rea in general of Africa at all.
>>
>>57359680
Then educate me, how would creating a large CSP plant hurt the sahara more than more fossil fuels use?
>>
>>57358818
WHAT YEAR IS IT
>>
>>57359653
>our first home
Nigga, I don't give a shit about that, but imagine how romantic it is walking the untouched, undefiled sands of the sahara in search of your party after a sandstorm whisked y'all apart only to find a group of scientists and a bunch of large, black plates collecting sun energy. It ain't.
>>
>>57359840
well the region isn't stable, Solar isn't effective during night and doesn't have high efficiency and it's expensive on top of backbreaking task of getting investors and funding.
>>
>>57359840
Considering the resources it'd take to make the panels, drive them into the middle of nowhere in sand, set them over miles of land on sand where it's pretty damn unstable with the promise of sandstorms covering the panels anyways during this process, why not just not use so many electronics if not transporting energy from a Saharan desert bothers you so much?
>>
>>57359887
>>57359933
>I think solar power means panels
Concentrating solar power, or CSP, or solar tower power plants, is 34% efficient, compared to just 10-15% efficiency of solar panels, it is just too big to fit on the roof of a house, so residential areas usually use the panels.

CSP is the mirrors that focus the suns light at some tank usually full of molten salt, using the heat to boil water.

The fact is, this is all fantasy, we aren't going to build a giant solar power plant, because nobody would pay for it, but if we could pay for it, it would be a good thing for the entire world, there would be absolutely 0 negatives.
>>
>>57360000
now mr.quads. Try convincing investors of companies to do that in Africa. Asides from the legit reason of many countries being business unfriendly the countries in Africa that are decent to do business in many companies and MNC won't even come unless you do the equivalent of letting the companies Fuck your shit up hardcore.
>>
>>57356125
Nuke it, and turn it giant mountains of glass.
Serves no purpose but looks nice.
>>
>>57360224
Probably wouldn't be a good time for you Egypt.
>>
>>57360224
You've landed in the right thread, haha.
>>
File: 1459729699621.jpg (178 KB, 1300x1156) Image search: [Google]
1459729699621.jpg
178 KB, 1300x1156
>>57360373
Are you the same Romanian who was posting in muslim immigrants/jews analogy thread that 404'd a couple of hours earlier?
>>
>>57360583
My first post today was on this thread since I have woken up at 6:30 (we have the same hour I guess). So I couldn't have been that one.
>>
>>57356280
>. We're building a pipeline for water from the great Lakes to the American southwest
God damn you are retarded.
>>
>>57360609
Well on that case good morning to you. Apologies for confusing you with someone else.
>>
>>57360688
No problem, but I am quite offended that someone thinks Muslims are similar to Jews.
There is like 30 IQ difference between them.
>>
>>57360669
It's obviously going to serve a number of purposes on the way as it crosses two other very substantial freshwater bodies of water.
And fuck even if it is retarded. That sounds like a really based project.

Like this badboy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowy_Mountains_Scheme
>>
>>57356280
>water from the great Lakes to the American southwest,
That isn't exactly "working" man...
>>
File: 1459652106074.jpg (90 KB, 487x500) Image search: [Google]
1459652106074.jpg
90 KB, 487x500
>>57357593
>mfw brazil goes full retard NEAR ME
>>
>>57360750
It can't happen for legal and practical reasons. Canada wouldn't allow it, nor would the nearby states, and it would be cheaper just to build desal plants (I've seen a few people break down the figures).

Also, we had similar plans for getting the SW more water but they all fell apart. Will never happen now because the cost would be too great and environmentalists would never allow it. The GL also had a plan like this that would have captured water from the Canadian Shield.
>>
>>57356125
The Sahara is filled with dinosaur fossils waiting to be uncovered you dumb uneducated amerilard.
>>
>>57360832
I have no idea about the project so I imagine were it to go ahead it would tick enough variables to make sense on every level.
I'm just thinking of a long pipeline appearing rather than all the reasons and considerations.
>>
This is a retarded idea. Sand from the Sahara gets blown from Africa all the way to northern Europe and even South America. If an accident were to happen that would mean radioactive materials all over Europe and eastern South America.
>>
We'd be better off waiting for about 10 000 years for the sahara to become fertile again
Extermination of non whites should be considered in the meantime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa
>>
>>57360734
I was not offended. I've stopped identifying as a muslim a long time ago and been fedora tipper ever since. They're both equally dumb in my opinion.
>>
>>57360888
Well if the water were for people I'm sure the argument would be stronger. Maybe I'd change my mind if they sent every GL basin resident a bushel of free berries once per week, air-lifted to assure freshness.
>>
>>57361011
How altruistic of you to offer up your own neck to the guillotine.
>>
>>57361133
what a good joke bruce hehe stab yourself with a stinger you lowlife bogan shithead
>>
>>57357593
>America has a pasta like this
>now Canada does

can we be the next north american country pls
>>
>>57361565
When people want to live in your country you can have one
>>
>>57356125
Has anyone noticed how stupid Americans are? They are like children with an above average IQ for their age. Am I eight if anons like him are black?
>>
>>57361681
right*
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.