[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is homebrewing common in your country?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: MeadSort2.jpg (54 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
MeadSort2.jpg
54 KB, 600x450
Is homebrewing common in your country?
>>
Yes, very. Have a bottle of homemade wine in my cupboard right now. And a 0,5 of 65% cherry vodka
>>
>>57243991
Common enough, yes. Done it several times myself. Still have a bunch of champagne yeast packets left over.
>>
I brew beer. Easy as shit, cheap as shit, great final product.
>>
Among nerds and chemists, sure.
>>
>>57243991
Im making mead
>>
>>57243991
i don't know how common it is, but i've made wine for about 10 years now on my own and my parents did that before me and their parents before them etc.
tried beer too, but beer is a lot harder to make than wine
>>
>>57247927
rly? what kind? low alco and gas or high alco and more like wine?
>>
>>57248071
Not him, but rubarb, apple, rasberry, gooseberry and chokeberries are the best.

4 years of experience here and trying to grow bushes for blackcurrant.
>>
>>57248554
for mead? the fuck? you going full ancient style on it?
>>
my uncle does some GOAT tier wines, but it takes some time
>>
>>57248622
Not him but:
Nothing wrong with rhubarb, gooseberries or blackcurrants. Don't really like chokeberries though.
Cranberries go pretty well with mead too
>>
>>57248701
interesting, i would treat those berries as all base material for wine
don't they overcloud the honey in mead? or how much would you add berries/juice for about 10 litres?
>>
>>57243991
Getting more common since the microbrewmicrobrew scene is getting people interested beer.
Hell, I do it. Brewing a saison next week.
>>
I usually make strawberry wine and blackcurrant wine and thinking of trying cloudberries and sea buckthorn (how to deal with the oil? hmm) this year. Making cider is nice too. Have made stout a few times and am thinking of starting to grow hops again. Mead is nice but costs a bit too much since I prefer to make it into dry honey wine instead of milder mead.
Never got redcurrant wine to taste very good though
>>
>>57243991
Yes, that's how we pirate our vidya.
>>
>>57248754
Hmm, isn't it traditional to use blackcurrant in mead around Baltics? Rhubarb is nicely acidic but not overly so. I generally steam juice berries since it helps avoid having to mess around with berry husks and oils that would rise to the surface.
>>
>>57248831
white currant is the best for wine from the currant varieties
it gives the clearest sparkling appearance in the glass and also tastes less berry-like and more like sour/chalky grapes

it's a bit harder to grow and you get less berries and more seeds, but what the heck, if you got land then get a bush or two of those

>>57248928
mead here is basically brewed with just pure honey and some spices if you're into the "we wuz" days of brewing or just want to literally spice up the thing
drank some mead brewed with spruce shoots last year, it was probably the best i have ever had
>>
>>57248928
>blackcurrant
the most common thing to do here with them is to make this sort of old woman wine which is very sweet because the berries grow a lot of sugar and hence very high in alcohol content
>>
>>57249011
I actually have two white currant bushes (and a few red and black currants, raspberries, strawberries, buckthorn and gooseberries)

I find that gooseberries are pretty close to white currants which is why I like them
>>
File: agar_02.jpg (230 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
agar_02.jpg
230 KB, 600x600
>>57249205
idk, i've brewed a couple of batches of wine from them, both green and red, never turned out very good
i think it boils down to them having the wrong acidic content do the yeast cultures i have either tend to die and cannibalize itself or run out of nutrients and start producing off flavours

or maybe i just suck at the gooseberries

pic rel: some mutant yeast on agar
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.