[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's have an /int/ thread in a sea of non-/int/ ones. Tell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 11
File: BlankMap-World-v3.png (10 KB, 568x475) Image search: [Google]
BlankMap-World-v3.png
10 KB, 568x475
Let's have an /int/ thread in a sea of non-/int/ ones. Tell me about this region's languages, /int/. Except the obvious "sea monkey" and "dark Japs/rice eaters/Chink Muslims/lady boys" memes

How are they "composed" grammatically? What do they share? Which one is the most accessible/easier, which are tonal and which are not, and so on

Especially welcoming of native opinions
>>
>>57160870
Quality thread.
I know nothing about them besides the Khmer empire.
>>
>>57160923
I know about the Taungoo empire, the Thai invasion, Khmer empire and a bit about the late Le dynasty of Vietnam. Nothing about the history of Sumatra/Java, Borneo, Guinea...

I did the "guess the language" website, in a thread yesterday. And I got confused with Yue and Vietnamese. They sounded similar (or maybe I'm deaf)
>>
>>57161040
Because Borneo and Sumatra barely have any history - I guess there only dwell Mongoloids mixed with Abos.
>>
>>57161123
I have a feeling that they have one of those neat mystical Hindu histories. Might be my bias
>>
>>57161214
This thread does not have any followers besides us... it seems they all seek for those ”t. Alberto Barbosa” and ”KHAN'D” threads...

I guess they have no history, only some behindhand superstitions. They are not the most powerful race even if the memes say so. Indonesians have never done anything good or spouted any important kingdom or empire, only those from Indochina had had some things, but incomparable to northern Mongoloids.
>>
Soon.
>>
File: 1450544137959.gif (1 MB, 635x369) Image search: [Google]
1450544137959.gif
1 MB, 635x369
>>57161040
>Sumatra
Look at Srivijaya, Samudra Pasai, and Aceh kingdom. Those are notable kingdoms based on my history book.
>Java
Java's history are a lot to type, I'll give you the interesting one (since it's connected each other). Singasari, Majapahit, Mataram, and Jogjakarta kingdoms. Jogjakarta is Mataram's predecessor, Mataram was Majapahit's predecessor, Majapahit was Singasari's predecessor.
>Kalimantan
Look at Kutai, Brunei kingdom.
>Papua
lol, they're just like Africa.
>>
>>57161326

if you hang out in /asean/ they usually answer this type of stuff
>>
>>57161354
>predecessor
Damn, I mixed up. I mean it's successor.
>>
>>57160870
"sluts"
>>
File: Prasasti-Yupa02.jpg (449 KB, 800x814) Image search: [Google]
Prasasti-Yupa02.jpg
449 KB, 800x814
>>57160870
Lurk the /his/ archive and maybe it's better to ask /his/. I discussed them with my fellow SEAs and some SEAboos. I want to watch animu now, but since /his/ is reasonably slow, I - might - reply there/here if I'm not feeling lazy.
>>57161123
Borneo had Kutai Kingdom, an Indianized kingdom. The earliest Kingdom that has existed in the past, within Indonesian territory.
>>
>>57161326
If you want to discuss SEA things like this, just go to /asean/. We usually discuss it whenever people bring the topic.
>>
>>57161326
I think it's cultural and religious. These are Theravada and Confucianism we're talking about, so there was no outer greatness to create, although I find Vietnamese history to be most interesting (underdog syndrome, and not just in the Vietnam war sense)
I was told once that their languages are easy. Hard for westerners because it's a new vocabulary, but once you get into more intesive study, you see how rudimentary and compound-ish their grammar is. I saw a few literally translated Indonesian sentences and it looked like baby talks. The catch is, it's not even a tonal language. Indochinese ones are, I think, so they're a lot more to digest. Much like Japanese, Mandarin and Korean (correct me, in any case), their grammar is simple
>>
>>57161374
>>57161409
>>57161464
I got this advice before, but it requires effort to squeeze in between the shitpost. If it's a shitpost answer, then my post gets buried among SEA shitpost. This is why I created a new thread. Not a general. A thread. To draw out people who will respond sincerely
>>
>>57161354
Daily reminder that your shitty 'country' only exists because of the UN

And give West Papua independence you stupid island nigger
>>
File: Kota-Majapahit.jpg (697 KB, 1600x1261) Image search: [Google]
Kota-Majapahit.jpg
697 KB, 1600x1261
https://desustorage.org/his/thread/815405/#816953
It was supposed to be a discussion of medieval Indian cities, but halfway it turned into a discussion of Majapahit capital's city design.
>>
>>57161589
Oh fuck off, dad. Go back to your bed.

>>57161574
Fair enough, /asean/'s shitpost is moderate to heavy.
But I myself rarely post outside /asean/. And I think the most of /asean/ posters too.
Anyway, history is pretty much "serious" discussion that we usually do on /asean/ though.
>>
File: 14343586.jpg (221 KB, 316x1346) Image search: [Google]
14343586.jpg
221 KB, 316x1346
>>57160870
1-2 against white people
>>
>>57161747
>Anyway, history is pretty much "serious" discussion that we usually do on /asean/ though.
Like that one with the Sundanese being a lost Scandinavian tribe?
>>
OOGA BOOGA

WE YUORP PEOPLE, WE BIG MAN WITH BIG DICK UNLIKE THOSE CHINKS

LEMME HOLLA AT THEM BROWN GIRLS HEEHEE
>>
>>57161834
They were really Masonic?
>>
>>57161849
>cherrypicking funposting
>>
>>57161916
Yes it was colonizing and bringing culture to your shithole
>>
>>57161589
Daily reminder that Netherlands exist because... anybody know their history?
>>
File: m8.png (140 KB, 274x274) Image search: [Google]
m8.png
140 KB, 274x274
>>57161910
I was joking, silly. He has a fair point, though. I also wouldn't want to bother myself with all those ERP shitposts just to find one or two decent ones buried alongside the filth.
>>
>>57161747
This is a language thread, not a history one. We brushed history for a moment there, since the Romanian mentioned it. Otherwise, I opened this thread for purely linguistic reasons
>>
>>57160870
why'd you gray out Brunei? :(

anyways,precolonial SEA had heavy indian and chinese influence and states were aware of other states presences,some states would act as mercenaries to other states,piracy was a big thing and the place was where japan would get chinese goods
>>
>>57161958
hey everyone, dutch "colonialism" is just 1/20 of our history lifetime, major culture are from chinese arab and india
>>
>>57161883
You seem to be the mix between low tier Mongoloids and low tier Spaniards - you can't be the most powerful race in the world as the memes say.
>>
>>57161904
yep
>>
>>57161981
/asean/ before spring 2015 was far better than you know now.

>>57161982
Ah language thread, bahasa is simple as fuck. There's certain rules, but you can ignore it on daily usage (not formal one, like talking to older people, your teacher, your boss, etc it's rude and impolite).
Vietnamese is just like your typical east asia language, but they just use alphabet because murrica's influences.
>>
File: politionele acties.jpg (26 KB, 370x270) Image search: [Google]
politionele acties.jpg
26 KB, 370x270
>>57162069
politionele acties best days of my life
>>
>>57161977
Because the Spanish had better things to do in 1580es than chase a bunch of bog dwelling, kankerlijer language speaking people
If the Spanish had a semi decent king, they'd all be hablaing Spanish up there, and actually did the world a favour. Plus, they were heretics
>>
File: image.png (257 KB, 531x571) Image search: [Google]
image.png
257 KB, 531x571
>>57162070
k
>>
>>57162105
I heard Bahasa and Thai are the easiest, and Thai doesn't have gender, inflection, tenses. That its vocabulary is "compounded" and the only trick is its tonality. Is this true?
Also, aren't your languages agglutinative?
>>
>>57162118
haha kankerlijer
spanjolen BTFO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_2auYMS-VM
>>
>brush brush brush
THREE TIMES A DAY
>brush with Colgate!
>>
>>57161123
rude,we are not related to abos and burnei used to be relevant and had an empire
>>
>>57160870
>How are they "composed" grammatically?
Indonesian language doesn't have grammatical tense. It relies more with affixes, which is the trickiest part, because everyone being arbitrary about it.
>>57162230
>tonality
No, not Indonesian.
>>
>>57162230
I don't know about Thais one sadly.
>agglutinative
What the fuck is that? give me example? I'm not familiar with that word.

>>57162355
Pretty sure, he referred it to thai language, nigger.
>>
>>57162355
When I hear "agglutinative" I think of Turkish. It's very neat. But if you have a language of hundreds of millions of speakers, I guess that agglutination will not reach proper "codification" and consensus and will be a fucking mess, dependent on dialects and regions
>>
>>57160870
Language wise the malay-indonesian language is the easiest to learn.
No particular intonations and grammar composition is quite similar to English with a few exceptions.

Malay variant is very forgiving and simple since you can interchange some difficult vocabulary with English words and people would understand.

The Indonesian variant is full of casual forms like nipspeak but people who are new to the language largely ignore them and use the polite form instead.

People from Indonesia-Malaysia-Singapore-Brunei would understand a foreigner who barely speaks the language so studying this language first would be a good choice.
>>
>>57162404
Agglutinative means when you stack words with suffixes or prefixes (ending

In Turkish, they don't have a "to be" verb, for example. They say "Yorgun" for the adjective "tired", but "I am tired" is "Yorgunum", where "-um" is a suffix bearing conjugated adjective in the first person singular

Yorgun-um
Yorgun-sun
Yorgun-X (no ending in 3rd person sg)
and so on...

And you can stack more, like negations:
"Gelmek" - "to come"
"Gelmemek" - "Not to come"
Where: Gel-ME-mek ("me" is the negation)

As opposed to let's say Portuguese:
"Eu estou cansado" - "I am tired"
"Eu não estou cansado" - lit. "I not am tired"
>>
How different is Filipino to Malaysian and Indonesian?
>>
>>57162686
if you have knowledge of other philippine languages as well you can get the gist of what they are saying thanks to loanwords
>>
>>57162733
sometimes*
>>
>>57162733
Ah, thank you.
>>
I was born in Burma, I miss that place
>>
>>57162619
Hmm.. then
I'm tired = aku capek
I'm not tired = aku tidak capek

Well the one like you mention is like our usual verb though
bicara = to speak (can be active verb)
berbicara = speak (active verb)
dibicarakan = be spoken (by) (passive verb)
or with noun, example
topi = hat
bertopi = with hat
orang bertopi hitam = man with black hat
for adjective
bercapek ria = is very tired (ironic way).

>>57162686
give me example sentence (with english one)
>>
>>57162422
There exists the standard formalized one. It's enforced throughout the history of the new republic, perhaps even worse than the standard French. The Affixes are kept consistent there. I don't get why you get the idea that tonality in Indonesian is tricky, though.
>>
>>57162886
That looks fun. Stacking shit. My negro...
>>
>>57162950
Not tonality. Suffixation

>>57162870
Do you know one of its languages? Isn't Burma a nest of different ethnicities, religions and languages?
>>
>>57162886

>I have a nice dog.
>>
>>57162956
Not him, but yeah, it's fun if you attach the affixes to a nonsensical noun and then deliberately misuse them.
>>
>>57162956
Anyway 'bercapek ria' is from bersenang ria (having fun (a lot)).

>>57163046
I = aku
have = punya
a nice dog = anjing bagus
I have a nice dog = Aku punya anjing bagus
>>
>>57163239
thanks f.am
>>
>>57163239
What if you want to negate that? "I don't have a nice dog

"Aku tidak punya anjing bagus"?
>>
>>57163009
Oh, I see.
>>
What places would you guys recommend me to visit, if I were to travel to Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines.
>>
>>57163308
Yup, it's that simple.
But the one who makes I like bahasa is like he said >>57163222.
Mostly if you like to write a story, you can have unique prose.
>>
>>57163380
you can experience all of asia in just one place;Malaysia>>57150102
>>
>>57163380
Why do you want to visit those places? for comfy place? historical place?
For Indonesia, I can recommend Jogjakarta for both of them.
>>
>>57163524
For vacation, and the see the historical sites.
>>
>>57163400
>>57163308
For negative prefixes I think we borrow it from either Latin/Europe or Indian, like nirlaba (non-profit), and it only works for loanwords too.
>>
>>57163400
So you don't have much grammatically incorrect nouns...?
>>
>>57162070
>- you can't be the most powerful race in the world as the memes say.
no shit sherlock, how long did it take for you to figure that one out
>>
>>57163650
How to ask questions? Interrogatives? Do you do what IE languages have? Switch verb-noun positions and intonation, or just change the pitch of your tone in a declarative sentence?

Can you give me an example of a conjugation. Any verb, regular.
>>
>>57163570
Jogjakarta is nice place for vacation and historical site, nice people, nice food, nice place. You can go to His Majesty Hamengkubuwono's castle though only the front area. Move a bit to north, and you can take a look at Candi Prambanan and Borobudur.
Jakarta is also nice place for historical site (and nightlife), go to old city and monas (and around it).
Bali is also good, but too much Aussie.
>>
>>57160870
Literally who: the region
>>
>>57163843
thailand and vietnam makes the place relevant
>>
>>57163878
t. Nha Krang Phuc Minh
>>
>>57163758
Thanks. Bali is the island where they still practice hinduism right.
>>
>>57162113
KANKERED
>>
File: 1455983491986.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1455983491986.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1333
>>57161123
>>57161326
are you kidding me? the largest buddhist temple in the world, borobudur is build in Java indonesia,
also they defeat the mongols and invade parts of malaysia, brunei, singapore and thailand at one time, definitely more relevant than their neighbours
>>
>>57164139
I will never get used to the spoopy beauty of Buddhist and Hindu temples
>>
>>57164094
haha
kanker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtT3Cfhg1oc
>>
>>57163705
Pretty sure we use both of them.

We have simple conjugation
Makan = to eat
Memakan = eat (active verb)
Dimakan = be eaten (passive verb)
Dimakani = be eaten
Memakani = give animal food or eat (too much)
>>
real talk: wag na kayo feeling intelehente o nag fefeeling na special kayo, isang glorified meme niche group lang kayo. may nalalaman pa kayong "normies" normies. ULOL. seryoso, wala pa sa inyo nakikipag suntukan kahit isang beses sa buong buhay nila. at wag kayo magpakahangal. kunin nyo average ng IQ ninyong mga gago kayo, di aabot ng 3 digits.
>>
>>57163009
Yea, i was born in Yangon but I understand Chin, Mara, Falam, and some other ethnic Languages.
>>
>>57164370
>Dimakan = be eaten (passive verb)
>Dimakani = be eaten
What's the etymology of "i" on the end?

When you have multiple sentences, let's say you have
>X, Y and Z. PERIOD.

Do you write them normally (SVO, SVO, SVO. PERIOD), or do they change word order mid way, at the end, depending on other circumstances? You know what I'm talking about? Latin, for example, bleeds you dry with narratives. You can have a subject in the beginning, and then a never-ending stack of dependent clauses, the verb relating to that subject being at the very end of the paragraph, despite encountering let's say three more verbs on your way to the end of the paragraph, relating to other subjects. Ask me if you don't understand the terminology I'm using
>>
>>57164541
Tell me about the one you know best. From a "dry", grammatical point. Like the Indonesians did in this thread. What are some of its main characteristics, like "strong suits" and "weak suits"
>>
>>57163665
Not the formal one, no.
>>57163705
>How to ask questions?
Either add interrogative pronoun or change the tone. For yes/no questions, you use the interrogative pronoun "apa" or "apakah", which also means "what" in English. So the word "apa" and one of its variant "apa-kah" have two functions in the grammar. Next, when asking with the form of "what is x", you use "itu", which means "that", but also functions as "to be". However in positive form, it's more appropriate to use the word "adalah" (ada-lah; "being"), instead of "itu".

Example 1:
Apa itu 4chan? 4chan adalah situs yang dilarang pemerintah. = What is 4chan? 4chan is a site prohibited by the government.

Compare it with

Example 2:
Apakah kau orang LGBT? = Are you an LGBT person?
>>
>>57164948
So "apakah" is exclusively question modelled for "yes" and "no" answers, and "Apa" is a general one?
Good
>>
>>57164555
Well, for me it's for poetic reason.
I'll give you the examples instead, I don't know how to express it on words.

I feel like I was being eaten by that thing
>Aku serasa sedang dimakani oleh benda itu
>Aku serasa sedang dimakan oleh benda itu
The 1st one is dramatic, and feels more natural.
Cat is eaten by wolf
>Kucing dimakani oleh Serigala
>Kucing dimakan oleh Serigala
The 2nd one is more natural, the 1st one is too dramatic.

SVO = subject predicate object?
Kind of like what Japan grammar does, I guess. I bring my shitty writing.
>Karena semua hal di atas mempunyai konsekuensi. Konsekuensi sendiri-sendiri. Konsekuensi yang berefek bagaikan sebuah tetesan air yang menetes pada sebuah permukaan air. Konsekuensi yang orang-orang mengatakannya “butter-fly effect”.
>Because all of things above have consequences. Their own consequences. Consequences which (can) affect (everything) like a drop water who falls on the surface water. Consequence which peoples said it "butter-fly effect".
We also have standard SVO. SVO. SVO. PERIOD. But it's too awkward.
>>
>>57165079
Yup. But you can just say
Ini punyamu? (literal means = this yours?)
>>
>>57164597
Well, I do know that Mara and Chin use Latin alphabets since we got cucked by Bongs. Burmese is simpler but I'll tell you about Mara (which I think is the hardest). when you address someone who has kids, yoy say the name of their oldest child, then say Paw after, for example, if I had a daughter named Mary, you'd call me Mary Paw, only exception is between childhood friends who still call each other by their first names. For women is Noh after the oldest child's name (Mary Noh), Noh means Mother and Paw means father. As in all Burmese dialects and almost all ethnic Languages, people greet each other by saying "have you eaten yet", if the person your asking says yes, you assume he is well. It's weird I know. In Burmese we have a lot on English words, motorcycle is still motorcycle, and several other words, it's surprising, if you've speaken Burmese for a long time, you'd realize several Burmese words for something sounds like English but pronounced slightly different. About what the Indonesian posted, I guess I'll try later to do what he did for his language later, not now, I just want you to know a little about some Burmese Languages. I still call it Burma, some people call it Myanmar, it's 50/50 split.
>>
>>57165083
Seems like your sentence follows a SVO and then the object changes into subject. Yes, I've seen it. It's pretty standard. As long as the verbs don't dance around and among themselves...

Did you just literally write "in-on" for "above"?
"Di atas" gives me "in on", that could literally compounded be meaningfully replaced by "situated above". This is genius lmao
>>
>>57165079
You can use both, but "Apakah" is more formal and clear.
>>
>>57165247
>As in all Burmese dialects and almost all ethnic Languages, people greet each other by saying "have you eaten yet", if the person your asking says yes, you assume he is well
Noice
>>
>>57161040
Link?
>>
>>57165247
>when you address someone who has kids
This curiously is also the proper way in my Batak ethnic, although nobody really does it (willingly) except hardliners.
>>
>>57165626
>>57165626
https://greatlanguagegame.com/
I got a 1600 score, missed a Yue/Vietnamese one, Tamil/Telugu as well. Don't remember the third mistake. I believe it was Uzbek and something else
>>
>>57165331
Or it could be I translated it on liberal way?
Another ones, I-I don't need to translate it right? It feels weird to translate it literal.
>Iya Stella, si perempuan itu. Perempuan yang cantik namun sinis, dingin, dan punya humor sarkastik. Dia teman sekelasku, kelas 1-1. Tapi entah kenapa sifatnya itu membuat dia terkenal, bukan terkenal dalam artian negatif tapi dia terkenal dalam artian positif.
>Mungkin bisa karena kakaknya yang merupakan anggota OSIS, tapi rasanya tidak mungkin karena harusnya justru dengan sifatnya harusnya dia makin terkenal dalam artian yang negatif.
>Mungkin karena cantik? Mungkin karena dia terlihat lucu dengan sifatnya? Entahlah aku sendiri tidak tau. Aku belum pernah bicara dengannya sejak aku masuk SMA ini.
>Ya, pemikiran ini sebelum aku kenal lebih jauh si Stella ini, sebelum peristiwa itu.
>Peristiwa yang membukakan pendapatku tentang Stella.
>Yes Stella, that girl. Girl who is beautiful but cynical, cold, and have sarcastic humor. She's my classmate, 1-1 class. But for some reason her attitude makes her famous, not the negative one, but the positive one.
>Maybe it could be because her older brother is student coucil, but it feels like it's impossible because it should make her famous in negative way.
>Maybe because she's beautiful? Maybe she looks cute with her attitude? Well I myself don't know about it. I never talk with her since I enter this highschool.
>Yeah, this was my thought before I know more about Stella, yeah before that event.
>Event that makes me open my eyes about Stella
Still in liberal translation

Yes?
Di atas = above
Di dalam = inside
Di luar = outside
Di samping = beside
Di belakang = behind
Di bawah = under
>>
>>57160870
Burma/Myanmar speaks mostly Burmese and uses their own alphabets. Totalitarian state, kinda like North Korea. Buddhist country(?)

Thailand speaks mostly Thai, and the king has a cult of personality. The Thai language uses their own alphabets. Buddhist country

Laos speaks Laotian, not sure about the alphabets. Communist state(?). Buddhist country.

Vietnam uses Latin alphabets(?) and speaks Vietnamese. Communist state. Buddhist country

Cambodia uses their own alphabet(?) and speaks... well Cambodian. Buddhist country

Indonesia has a shit ton of languages, and mostly uses the latin alphabet(?). Used to be a Dutch colony. Muslim country

Malaysia mostly the same as Indonesia, except it used to be a British colony.

Philippines uses the Latin alphabet, not sure about the languages. Used to be an American colony. Christian country(?)
>>
>>57165957
We have completely different words for prepositions, and as something of a language enthusiasts, I get a warm and fuzzy autism tingle with such "logical", intuitive languages
Like Mandarin way of denoting "people" is using the "ren" sign twice ("two persons", literally), for example (or something like that?)
>>
>>57166708
How about prepositions in your language? I want to know it too.
Yeah Mandarin's word is cool. I study a bit about it since I learn japs nowadays.
>>
shit thread
>>
>>57161589

>tfw the Netherlands will be under water in your lifetime
>>
>>57160870
I can speak Thai.

พูดภาษาไทยได้

AMA
>>
>>57166992
>>57166992
Do you want to know about a language that tries to purify its vocabulary from foreign words by creating new ones (mindblowing even to the natives), one that has 7 cases, 7 tenses and four moods, three genders, four different ways of creating predicative adjectives and prepositions, verbs that have more then a dozen forms because of prefixation, more irregular verbs than Moses stored animals on the ship, having as many vowels as a snake has legs and so on?

Prepositions:
u (in), na (on), pri (near, next to), (po)kraj (next to), kod (at, next to), prema (towards), ispod (below), iznad (above), s(a) (with), kroz (through) ...

All these have accompanying declensions that must be followed. For example, "s" goes with instrumental case, "u" goes with dative case, "kod" goes with genitive case

I would like to learn a language from Far East too
>>
>>57167247
Dude

>>57167384
How do I know that's not Google translate?

>>57167301
I thought Indonesian and Dutch people get along...
>>
>>57160870
since the people in the region used to live in tribes and didnt move around a lot like europeans did the languages are pretty diverse as communities were separated and had time to develop their own system. even now in countries with an official language might have more than 50 different languages in it, but the government here in 'nam is trying to teach ethnic minorities in the mountains the official language so they can get educated and get jobs instead of starve inside their wooden temples.
>>
>>57167479
What can you tell me of Vietnamese? Are you even Vietnamese? Never too safe...all we have here is fucking proxies. What do you get by proxying fucking Thailand/Vietnam/Sri Lanka/Nepal/Japan, still baffles me...
>>
>>57167450
ไม่ใช่เป็น Google Translate หรอก

มึงคิดแบบนั่นได้ยังไง
>>
>>57167386
Seems like complicatedly fun.
But it's too complicated that could makes me stop in the middle of learn.
Far East language seems more easier to learn now.

Why do you want to learn Far East language? It's easier to learn? The only relevant languages on Far East are Japanese (if you're weeb) or Chinese (muh industry).
>>
>>57167450

I was just shit posting.

I'm actually pro-Dutch, then again I'm Timorese. Western Timorese to be specific, which was colonized by the Dutch compared to the Portuguese side.

Just comparing West Timor to East Timor is like comparing a super model to an abo.

The Portuguese literally cannot into infrastructure. Not to mention they're Catholic scum.
>>
>>57167386

If you want to learn a far east language then go for Indonesian or Malaysian. Without a doubt the easiest Asian languages to learn.
>>
>>57167727
does eastern indos in general more pro dutch than western indos? from personal experience it seem to be the case

also most sumatrans and javanese tend to extremely hate the dutch
>>
>>57166273
>Burma
>totalitarian state

Nice meme
>>
>>57167704
I don't watch Asian cartoons. I like languages a lot, and I still haven't delved into these languages. That's it. I'd like to have one (on a decently conversational level) under my belt, preferably one that I can use and monetize, but monetization was never a top goal in any language I took on. Also, I would need a strong comparison of these languages (Korean, Japanese and Mandarin). By the looks of it, the Mandarin grammar sound the simplest and most "fun", Korean is more analytical and consistent with its alphabet, but Japanese and Korean grammar are very annoying, for English speakers that is. I don't know how to position myself in the spectrum since I'm a native Slavic speaker. Maybe it wouldn't be as hard to grasp their grammar since my language has all this: >>57167386
Then there is the "alien" vocabulary

How would you say are your prospects at learning other SEA languages/dialects, and wider (the three aforementioned)? Surely you must have a good amount of Chinese (possibly Canton?) and Japanese loanwords?

>>57167656
>มึงคิดแบบนั่นได้ยังไง
Can you grammatically, through romanization, explain this part? Obviously I'm at a disadvantage for not knowing the script. If I asked me what is this, I'd say it's a drunk way of writing Ge'ez lmao
>>
>>57162619
I like the way you say "gelmemek" bro
>>
>>57167946

Yes, Eastern Indonesians are more pro-Dutch.

Just look at the Malukuans, they fought with the Dutch during the revolutionary war. They even had their own republic for a little bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_South_Maluku

I can't exactly pin point why this is the case though. I would like to say religion, but religion never really became that serious until the late 80s and 90s.

We had a mini Iranian Revolution where everything became stricter religion wise. You used to be able to see bikinis on the television back in the 80s, but just showing some cleavage now everyone will flip out.

It feels like the whole Muslim world became stricter or something along those lines around the 70s and 80s.
>>
File: WIN_20160331_221323.jpg (73 KB, 641x719) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20160331_221323.jpg
73 KB, 641x719
>>57167617
no foreigners in vietnam would feel the need to buy these, and im pretty sure they dont sell it outside of asia so i guess this is proof

anyways the vietnamese phonetics is largely influenced by chinese, after the 1000 years of chinese domination and all that. even when the vietnamese patriots tried to create our own writing system they based it on the chinese language. in the 18th or 19th century or something a french religious guy came to vietnam and popularized the use of the latin alphabet here to make promoting christianity a bit easier. i think we're the only country in asia to use the latin alphabet. the accents in vietnamese varies greatly from region to region, and even people of different classes speak differently (uneducated sounds really different from educated people). this is kind of ironic since the whole point of a communist government is to make class division smaller.
>>
>>57168372

>only country in asia to use the latin alphabet

nigga, you use a jacked up version of the Latin alphabet.

We actually use the normal Latin alphabet. No retarded additions.
>>
>>57168372
oops so we're not actually the only country in asia to use the latin alphabet. should have known this from playing dota
>>57168439
>being this butthurt
no one really cares desu.
>>
>>57168514

hey, at least I don't speak the worst sounding language on the planet.
>>
>>57168588
our languages arent that different to other people, and i honestly am not patriotic enough to argue with you right now.

but i really do hope you get attacked by isis desu
>>
>>57168588
Just the second worst sounding.
>>
>>57167999
Ah fair enough then.

Well, Singapore uses english (+ malay) so I don't need to learn from basic again to work there. But I would actually like to learn viet, it looks like more interesting to learn at.

Well yeah, I use gue and elo (loan from cantonese) which mean I and you respectively in my daily using. It's "standard" first person and second person in Jakarta. We use aku dan kamu which mean I and you respectively only for your girlfriend/boyfriend, family, and elder people.
>>
>>57168747

i hope china nukes you.
>>
>>57168920
its pretty late, i think your boyfriend's starting to miss you
>>
>>57168204
I think its because the general history and attitude are quite different

dutch rule bring developments and jobs to the east, and the native there is more open and accepting of westerners which is similar to philippines, most dutch colonial armies and administrators are for ex. ambonese dominated

the western parts have history of resistance to dutch, spain, and westerners in general, due to religion and general disdain for the west influenced by indians, chinese, and neighbouring indochinas political situation
there, dutch rule are more remembered for slavery, dirty politics, puppetry of local rulers, and monuments plunderer
>>
I had to do something in between all these answers, but thanks for the informative thread, lads
>>
>>57167999
>Can you grammatically, through romanization, explain this part? Obviously I'm at a disadvantage for not knowing the script. If I asked me what is this, I'd say it's a drunk way of writing Ge'ez lmao

meung khit baaep nan dai yang ngai

Meung มึง = you (very informal)
Khit คิด = to think
Baaep แบบ = manner or style
Nan นั่น = that
Dai ได้ = can or to be able
Yang ngai ยังไง (formal spelling อย่างไร) = how

It basically means, "How could you possibly think that?"
>>
>>57160870
I love me some ladyboys
>>
>>57161504
>Much like Japanese, Mandarin and Korean (correct me, in any case), their grammar is simple

Chinese grammar is pants-on-head easy. If it makes the most sense, it's probably true.

Japanese and Korean are less simple, and the word order and relative liberty of clauses was particularly challenging for me.

The problem is that these languages are highly implicit, so you trade simplicity for specificity, and specifity in Chinese increases the difficulty of expressing yourself significantly. But man Chinese clauses are beautifully simple. You just put them in the sentence in your appropriate order, add the transitory particle, and that's it. The characters are a bitch, but that is life.
>>
>>57161326
t. Alberto Barbosa
>>
>>57164392
Pepeng Pinakamalupit
>>
>>57174506
I could really use a language that offers one word of two-three letters as a dictionary form for ten others. Sounds "lazing-ly" beautiful. (despite the fright of proper intonation of the said word). My region literally utilizes vowels "E", "A" and "I" to lead a conversation, ask questions. It's hilarious and used as a punchline among other former Yugoslavs. We're seen as lazy people who simply accentuate certain words and leave out others, stretch vocals and use the stress on these stretches to indicate a question/declaration and such
So I think I'd be a pretty natural lmao...

Can you assemble a simple SVO sentence in Mandarin and Romanization, as well as translation below. So that we can see "up close"

>>57171428
>"You to think manner that can how" means "How could you possibly think that"
Come the fuck on...really?
Where are the conjugations? Why is it all in infinitives? Where is at least a preposition or addition that shows it's a conditional past?
>>
>>57160870
Dark Jap Rice Eating Sea Monkey Lady Chink Muslim Boys
>>
>>57176050
>Where are the conjugations?
None, like in English.

>Why is it all in infinitives?
There's no such thing as an infinitive form. I just put it as an infinitive because I'm translating the word directly to English and the base form for all verbs in English is the infinitive

>Where is at least a preposition?
There was no preposition in that sentence to begin with.

>Where is at least an addition that shows it's a conditional past?
It was really in present tense.
>>
>>57176050
>>"You to think manner that can how"
Also if you really wanted to literally translate it would be more like, "You think that manner is able how."
>>
>>57176510
You do know your translation contains a conditional? I read that "think" as "thought", so my mistake there
>>
>>57177112
It's not really a conditional. I used "possibly" because the word just conveys a sense of urgency in English syntax. This sense is emitted from the Thai syntax by my use of informalities. To be honest, I should have put in the particle ละ to convey the sense more clearly.
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.