[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it really worth learning another language if you speak English?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 15
File: language.learning[1].jpg (178 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
language.learning[1].jpg
178 KB, 425x282
Is it really worth learning another language if you speak English?

I feel like it would be kind of cool but is that really enough motivation to spend months or years working on it?
>>
You should learn Arabic, m8.
>>
>>57010700
>Is it really worth learning another language if you speak English?
Zeker. Hoe kun je anders epische miems in andere talen bijwonen?
>>
>>57010700
If you plan on living in another country but you dont learn the language you are no better than those dirty fucking shitskins who live in muslim ghettos.
>>
>>57010804
I don't plan on living in another country, just visiting there a lot.
>>
>>57010838
Might as well learn the basics then.
>>
>>57010700
If you don't want to develope dementia it's probably worth it.
>>
File: like_this.png (21 KB, 432x289) Image search: [Google]
like_this.png
21 KB, 432x289
>>57010740
>>
Better learn arabic or hindi soon
>>
>>57010933
Horr horr horr, you make a me raff rong time
>>
>>57010897
The meme that speaking more than one language is good for your brain is unfortunately false.
>>
>>57010915
>attend epic memes
>>
>>57010700
>Is it really worth learning another language

The fact that you're asking that question means you don't really want to. When you want to learn another language, you'll simply do it.
>>
>>57010981
http://www.alzheimers.net/2013-11-11/speaking-two-languages-delays-dementia/

>literally from alzheimers.net
>>
>>57010981
Source on that
>>
File: eternal anglo.png (29 KB, 640x616) Image search: [Google]
eternal anglo.png
29 KB, 640x616
why would you when everyone on the planet speaks english?
>>
>>57011094
You'd be surprised at how bad a lot of Europeans are at English.

I like to visit there for things like skiing and it would be easier if I spoke their language.
>>
>>57011154
>not taking pride in the fact that you cuck foreigners just by existing
>>
no
I had to learn a language to graduate university so I learned swedish solely to insult swedes on 4chan
>>
>>57011193
Based
>>
File: lel my guy.png (108 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
lel my guy.png
108 KB, 225x224
>>57010700
>people in his cunt don't speak 3 languages fluently on average

CAN'T BE MADE UP
>>
>>57011154
>Implying Britain isn't European
>>
>>57011376
do people from luxemburg genuinely believe luxemburgish is a real language or is it just one massive meme?
>>
File: Languages_Benelux.png (215 KB, 699x2737) Image search: [Google]
Languages_Benelux.png
215 KB, 699x2737
>>57011376
D-do you actually speak Lëtzebuergesch?
>>
>>57011428

I'm only seeing german and french on this map
>>
>>57011428
>Fries
>literally naming yourself after fast food
>>
>>57011481
>Implying Dutch is German
Yeah, and Manx & Highlander Scottish is Irish, right?
>>
>>57011425
>>57011428
yeah i speak Lëtzebuergesch, but most people here see it as a meme. only the old people get offended if you don't speak luxembourgish to them.
you understand it perfectly if you speak french and german, so most people just pick it up along the way and don't learn it.
i think this is why no one can spell in luxembourgish and there are basically no rules.
>>
I was thinking of learning Dutch, German or Danish. Which one should I pick?
>>
>>57011428

this is bullshit and we all know it, having a different word for 10 things and different pronunciation suddenly creates a whole new division in a language. fries is as close as it gets to be considered a different language, then again it's only spoken by retards, so sometimes I don't know if they're speaking friesian or just a retarded version of Dutch

>>57010700

Spanish goes a long way
>>
>>57010700
No, it's pretty much pointless.
>>
>>57011593
R A R E
>>
>>57011540
intredasting

>>57011593
how many horses do you own?
>>
>>57011376
uncommon
>>
>are you going to use it for something
Yes. Otherwise don't bother.
>>
>>57011578
Why would you learn Danish or Dutch?
>>
Yes. Here's why imo:
1) it's a huge part of this world. You're missing out on an intellectual pursuit in life if you never study a foreign language. As such...
2) it's a healthy 'excercise' for your brain
3) practicality. You can get access to exculsive reading material in that language, get to speak to people from that group
4) opportunities for work in that language, exclusive treatment from its speakers

Take it from a 'quadlingual'; it's worth it. Point 1 is especially important, you're not getting the full "intellectual experience" of life by not doing it.

Also this idea that you are 'spending' years doing it is stupid. It's not a prison sentence, it's a fun intellectual activity. Instead of letting your brain rot on 4chan for an hour or two a day you could learn a language.
>>
>>57011531

Greater Netherlands / Dietsland when?
>>
>>57011624
Zero. Though I have a cat ^_^
>>
>>57011578

German, Dutch is practically useless almost everyone speaks English. German on the other hand is recognized globally and also people there don't give a shit to learn English unless it benefits them in a sort of way
>>
>>57011540
You know speakers of Frisian and Limburgish take their meme languages very seriously in the Netherlands. And papiamento on our Islands.
>>
>>57011531

They pretty much are, yes
>>
>>57010981
I learnt a second language.
My memory used to be shit beforehand, but now I can learn an entire Shakespeare monologue within 5-10 minutes. btfo
>>
>>57011668
do you shoot arrows from its back as you ride across the endless steppe?
>>
File: Germanic_dialects_ca._AD_1.png (36 KB, 320x329) Image search: [Google]
Germanic_dialects_ca._AD_1.png
36 KB, 320x329
>>57011580
You do realize both Frisian and Low Saxon are Ingvaeonic in nature and more closely related to English then Dutch, an Istvaeonic language? That, and if Afrikaans is a separate language, then so is Low Saxon, Frisian, Limbourgish and West-Vlaemsch. Maybe even Zealandic if you're generous.
>>
>>57011646
I want to move to the Netherlands or Denmark/Faroe Islands
>>
>>57011682
yeah, here it's just the elders as i said. they almost always speak exclusively luxembourgish and bet butthurt if for example a waiter speaks french to them.
they also speak a super "classic" version of luxembourgish, from before a lot of german and french words were adopted.
>>
>>57011748
>German
>only spoken in some meme countries that tend to lose wars

>Dutch
>language of a global economic empire with major historical influence
>spoken in multiple european economic centers
>spoken in North America, South America and many millions speak a meme variant in Africa

>Danish
>spoken in the biggest European country besides Russia
>>
>>57011721

Dutch and Africaans are mutually intelligible?
>>
>>57011748
They speak Faroese in the Faroe Islands
>>
File: Taalafstanden.png (9 KB, 625x606) Image search: [Google]
Taalafstanden.png
9 KB, 625x606
Mostly, yes. Afrikaans is closer to standard Dutch then some dialects. See pic related.

>All those meme-wikipedias
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoofdpagina
https://af.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuisblad
https://li.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veurblaad
https://nds-nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veurblad
https://vls.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voorblad
https://zea.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%B2blad
https://vls.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voorblad
https://fy.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haadside
>>
>>57011804
>>57011854
>>
>>57010740
Also ich musste kein Holländisch lernen um das zu verstehen uezs.
>>
>>57010700
Learning a (living) language is never a waste, but don't be fooled by those who say it is easy. >lern arabic, chinese n russian in 5 mins per week xDDDDDDD

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. You can learn the basics of any language via Duolingo or Memrise, but if we're talking actual fluency, you have to devote a fair amount of time to it, and for the more complex languages you would also have to consider moving to a country where that language is spoken. It will take years, even for "easy" languages like German and French.

The Israeli above me somewhere is right, it's not a prison sentence, if you like it then surely this won't be a sacrifice. Just be prepared is all I'm saying.
>>
>>57011804
For most part, yes. But Dutch people find it easier to understand people from South Africa than the other way around. Because we use suffixes, irregular words, plurals and genders that affect word determiners.

And that confuses them.
>>
>>57010700
I only speak Serbian and English.
>>
>>57012075
While Afrikaans just sounds like very simple Dutch to us. Because all the extra bullshit is missing.
>>
>>57011719
Wrong -stan. Kazakhs do that.
>>
>>57011719
Uzbekistan has a lot of ancient cities actually
>>
>>57011578

French.
>>
>>57011593

Can I collect you, rareflag ?
How the fuck did you end up on /int/ if you're Uzbek ?
>>
>>57012049
>>57012049
I don't think anyone would argue that you can't be fluent in a language without
having ever lived in an environment that speaks it. That said fluency isn't necessarily the goal; you don't have to be fluent to interact with people or to consume low brow media in that language
>>
>>57012021
Ik hoef ook geen Nazi te leren om dat te verstaan oetz.
>>
I pretty much only want to know a foreign language to make visiting the Alps easier.

Should I go for French or German?
>>
>>57011804
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Q4ZMmw0bk

Just put the subtitles on if you want to see a Belgian cuck talking with a South African cuck.
>>
>>57012192
Depends on the language if you ask me. If you want fluency (which you're right isn't necessarily the goal, but assuming it is), then I have a hard time imagining someone learning Cantonese or Arabic without ever practicing it in a native environment.
>>
>>57012194
Geile Sache mein Freund. Uezs heißt bei euch also oetz? Wie sieht das denn ausgeschrieben aus ?
>>
Yo soy aprender Espanol. Yo soy non bueno.
>>
>>57012291

>I have a hard time imagining someone learning Arabic without ever practicing it in a native environment.

No problem for me then.
>>
>>57012292
Ik ben niet hem, maar oetz is om eerlijk te zijn.
>>
File: 1456842151013.png (11 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1456842151013.png
11 KB, 429x410
>>57012328
beat me to it
>>
>>57012331
Immer wieder erstaunlich wie ähnlich unsere Sprachen sind, nur das ihr statt ei ij sagt wirkt immer ein wenig komisch uezs.
>>
>>57012295
>Yo soy aprender Espanol. Yo soy non bueno.

Yo *estoy *aprendiendo español. No soy muy bueno.
>>
>>57012291
If it wasn't clear I meant that it's impossible for ALL languages. You won't even be fluent in Spanish, an 'easy' language by not living among speakers
>>
If you are into literature learning multiple languages is a must. Besides that it looks good on your CV.
>>
>>57012423
In het Nederlands gebruiken we ei, ij en y door elkaar. Er zijn echter geen regels voor.
In Zuid Afrika gebruiken ze alleen y volgens mij.

Als je Nederlands en Duits leert dan zie je veel patronen in de verschillen tussen onze talen. Bijvoorbeeld: het Duitse -ung is in het Nederlands -ing. -ch is regelmatig -k. -ie in het Duits is meestal -ee in het Nederlands. En zo voort.

Wieder = weer, unsere = onze, sprachen = spraken, sind = zijn, nur = alleen (zelfde als in het Duits), statt = in plaats van (zelfde alleen anders), sagt = zegt, wirkt = doen/doet (zoals het Duitse tun), wenig = weinig enzo.

Als je het vaak ziet dan wordt het erg simpel.
>>
>>57012751
In die context dan. Zaken zoals wirkt kun je ook vertalen als werkt.
>>
>>57012751
>Er zijn echter geen regels voor
https://onzetaal.nl/taaladvies/advies/ij-ei
https://onzetaal.nl/taaladvies/advies/ij-oorsprong-van-de-lange-ij
Om het kort te houden is de IJ ontstaan uit wat vroeger II was, en EI uit AI en EGI. In de praktijk zijn er maar weinig woorden waar dit nog voor de hand ligt (Woorden zoals Bijzonder)
>>
>>57012944
Dat zijn enkel vuistregels.
>>
>>57012751
Ja ist mir schon klar aber ij als ei sieht einfach sehr merkwürdig aus. Die anderen Änderungen sehen mehr oder weniger "natürlich" aus. Das ij ist einfach im (deutschen) Sprachgefühl ausgesprochen doch seeeehr anders als das ij.

Ich komme aus dem Ruhrgebiet da haben wir auch ein paar Unterschiede zum Hochdeutschen, selbstverständlich nicht ganz so stark aber doch merklich. Aber ich finde es ziemlich interessant das eine dieser Sachen ein wenig dazu führen das es sich ein wenig niederdeutscher und damit dem niederländischen ähnlicher anhört.
>>
Learning a second language will help with your first as well.
>>
>>57013079
Duits en Nederlands hebben wel veel valse vrienden. Dat is nog wel een van de grootste obstakels bij het begrijpen van elkaar.
>>
>>57013380
I remember an interview of Louis van Gaal where the German interviewer says: das ist klar (that's clear) or something.
And in Dutch klaar means finished. So he gets mad at the journalist.
>>
>>57010700
>Is it really worth learning another language if you speak English?
Do you plan on living in a country where English isn't an official language for more than a year?
Then it pays off.
Otherwise, it's a waste of time.

>>57011651
Which languages do you speak?
>>
>>57010700
Yes, According to the British Council and the Eurobarometer Report Europeans and Their Languages "The UK has an alarming shortage of people able to speak foreign languages"

"The Languages for the Future" report from the British Council says that the languages most vital to the UK over the next 20 years are:
1.- Spanish
2.- Arabic
3.- French
4.- Mandarin Chinese
5.- German
6.- Portuguese
7.- Italian
8.- Russian
9.- Turkish
10.- Japanese
They were chosen based on economic, geopolitical, cultural and educational factors including the needs of UK businesses, the UK’s overseas trade targets, diplomatic and security priorities, and prevalence on the internet.

But, according to an online YouGov poll of more than 4000 UK adults commissioned by the British Council as part of the report, three quarters (75%) are unable to speak any of these languages well enough to hold a conversation. French is the only language spoken by a double-digit percentage (15%), followed by German (6%), Spanish (4%) and Italian (2%). Arabic, Mandarin, Russian or Japanese are each only spoken by 1% – while Portuguese and Turkish are each spoken by less than 1%.
>>
>>57011193
T-tack.
>>
>>57010981
not tru though
>>
>is it worth to be less ignorant?

You're Anglo. Culture is not exactly something your people has.

So, no.
>>
File: phonic.png (53 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
phonic.png
53 KB, 700x600
>Learning French
lol
>>
>>57018995
Is there any point learning French if you never intend on going to Africa?
>>
>>57010700
Personally, I wouldn't if I were you. English is all you need. Their English is most of the times probably better than your [insert a foreign language].
>>
>>57019036
None, whatsoever.
>>
File: Confusion2.png (24 KB, 716x560) Image search: [Google]
Confusion2.png
24 KB, 716x560
Obviously it is. Most people in the world do not speak English, despite what the propaganda and the memes say.
>>
>>57022026
>Most people in the world do not speak English
3 billion people speak English, and the 4 billion that don't are irrelevant (Africa, mainland China, southern Italy, South America... all losers)
>>
>>57010700
its woth it to suck my cock youy fucking british pakik bitac biatch
>>
File: Britannica, Languages.png (43 KB, 734x569) Image search: [Google]
Britannica, Languages.png
43 KB, 734x569
>>57022222
>3 billion
no
>>
>>57022222
>3 billion people speak English
Good Amerislave, you swallowed the propaganda.
>>
>>57021332
>>57019036
Yeah, after all, why would you even want to access a 2000 year old super rich culture with arguably the best literature in the world, and that's just stating the obvious.
>>
>>57022591
>>57022344
I've been in 4 different continents, also in China, and I can tell you English is the lingua franca of the world ("lingua franca" is Latin, from when Latin was the lingua franca). In China alone there are at least 300 million people who speak English to some degree. In India there are 1 billion. In North America 500 million and in Europe at least 300 million. Didn't even mention Africa, South America and the rest of Asia.
>>
File: Linguasphere, Languages.png (98 KB, 819x1005) Image search: [Google]
Linguasphere, Languages.png
98 KB, 819x1005
>>57023991
>""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""ANECDOTES""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
I know English is the lingua franca, but your claim that "3 billion people speak English" is false, just like "In China alone there are at least 300 million people who speak English to some degree" see: https://www.academia.edu/2034954/The_statistics_of_English_in_China_An_analysis_of_the_best_available_data_from_government_sources
"In North America 500 million" also very unlikely because according to a Mexican survey (http://www.totaluni.com/archivos_articulos/Mexicanos_y_los_Idiomas_59.pdf?iframe=true&width=100%&height=100%) only 11.6% of Mexicans speak English and then according to the last Eurobarometer report "Europeans and Their Languages" (http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_386_en.pdf) 38% of persons in the European Union can speak English as a foreign language (+13 as a mother tongue) and I Didn't even mention Africa, South America and the rest of Asia in which the proportions could be lower.
>>
>>57010700
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.