[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you need to be a frenchie to join the foreign legion? Basically:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: download (4).jpg (9 KB, 277x182) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
9 KB, 277x182
Do you need to be a frenchie to join the foreign legion?

Basically: im fucked up, failed at everything academic-related. Already been through 3 university careers and I failed all of them. Im a huge monetary expense for my family and I also hate a lot of the people around me/current situation.
My country has no army so I cant enlist, so I was thinking maybe I could join the FFL?

Some frenchie pls clarify what I need. Im physically fit and know my way around guns
>>
Just get a Nicaraguan BF, he will provide for you.
>>
>Do you need to be a frenchie to join the foreign legion?

unironically dumbest question ever asked
>>
>>56846423
>foreign legion
>foreign

I'm going to go with "no" famalam. They will even teach you French.

That said I've heard that joining the legion really does change a person.
>>
I'm speechless.
>>
>>56846871
>>56846874
>>56846904

You guys do know that you can be a frenchie living outside of france, right?

Thats the point of my question. Can ANYONE with absolutely no relation to france apply? Or only people related to france in a way (like french relatives, citizenship, expats)
>>
>>56846874

Well I could use a change m8. Its a fresh start
>>
>>56847005
Yes you can, but they have "standards" now.

I hope you're fit
>>
>>56847005
>Can ANYONE with absolutely no relation to france apply
Yes, that's the whole point of it. They have many things you cannot find in other amies, for example you can (or will, I'm not sure) be given a new identity, and after your service you can even acquire the french citizenship.
>>
>>56846423
>Do you need to be a frenchie to join the foreign legion?

XD
>>
>>56847005
nope, that's the point of the FFL
But, you at least need to be fit and be prepared to speak French and only French for a good 4 years after you join
>>
They do take "desperate" people but you will compete with people who are actually desperate, do you think you are worse than them, do you still have family, etc
But 90% of ffl are soldiers who want to see action so except if you have military experience you're out of luck
>>
>>56847005
>Thats the point of my question. Can ANYONE with absolutely no relation to france apply?
ONLY non-French can apply. The French that do apply pretend to be Belgian or Canadian (luckily for them nobody bothers to doublecheck).
>>
>>56848059
No, you can join the FFL if you are french and they'll give you another francophone country identity, they know you are french.
>>
Meh they'll take you even if you aren't from earth as long as you fit the physical requirements
>>
>>56847172
>>56847373

Yes im physically fit, i've taken actual police spec ops training before.

Tell me more about the new identity. No trace of me being costa rican?

>>56847488

I can handle that. 1 year of french in college, at least I got something useful out of it.

>>56847832

I have a family yeah, but like i said, I need a fresh start and I believe I have the skills for it.

I thought that the FFL actually saw very little combat? Less than 200 casualties in the last 10 years or something
>>
>>56848959
>I thought that the FFL actually saw very little combat
I thought they were regarded as cannon fodder for not being frenchmen. Or maybe it happend only in the past?

About your need for a fresh start, any story worth telling?

anyway, good luck, anon
>>
>>56847832

That's really not true though, you getting in has no bearing on your earlier military experience, in fact prior soldieering can be a negative since you'll have to unlearn some things.

Age, fitness, nationality, mental fortitude and past crimes are the only things they're interested in.

T. Someone who knows a couple of ex ffl dudes, and has lurked some ffl threads on /k/.
>>
>>56846816
Can I get a Nicaraguan bf to provide for me?
>>
>>56849191

Yeah thats from like the previous century.

And no story worth telling. I simply failed at everything and I dont like my current situation. A different continent sounds like a good place to start

>>56849313

You have to serve for 5 years and then you can leave or stay right?
>>
>>56848959
>I thought that the FFL actually saw very little combat?
The opposite, they're the ones that get shit done
>>
If you have internet you arent desperate enough for the FFL.

You will break after 2 weeks.
>>
>>56849449
I believe so, yes. And you can choose to keep the identity they give you at the legion, and you get a French citizenship.
>>
>>56849514

Well thats a bit demoralizing.

Dont get me wrong, I wasnt expecting it to be a walk in the park. I knew that I had to risk my life, but knowing that theyre actually just the expendable cannon fodder (of course, there HAD to be a catch) of the french military kind of changes my outlook a bit. Im going to research the actual casualty number they have.

Btw what do frenchies think of the legionnaries? Are they respected/liked?

>>56849575

Retarded post.

You think they're going to hire some mohammed kebab who is on the verge of putting a gun to his head?

Did you also skipped the part where Isaid I have actual tactical police training?
>>
If you're a fuck-up, you're not going to make it in the FFL, lol
>>
>>56849924
You would be foreign filth. How do you think people of a country look at an army which is filled with foreigners? Not well.
It has a cool name, and thats it.
>>
>>56849924
I'm joining the FFL this summer, I guess I will see you there. A lot of people giving their opinions here are really misinformed, like the German guy
>>
>>56850040

Only academically.
>>
>>56850116

Well if you see a costa rican there it wll most likely be me. At least i'll be able to speak to someone
>>
>>56850116
I guess we'll all be there. What is your reason for joining? I personally just feel like I need the experience of having served in a military in my life.
>>
>>56850834
me too, it's the only thing that makes me look forward in my life. I've tried university for one year, but I don't want to study for 4 years, find a job, a normal life... I want to live the experience only something like the FFL will give me. And I am completely aware it won't be easy at all. I have informed myself pretty well. Don't you have military service in Sweden?
>>56850703
Yes, I will pay attention for any Costa Ricans. I heard it is important to make "friends" with those who speak your language in the FFL
>>
>>56851074
Yeah but the Swedish "military" is more like an advanced daycare, from what I've heard from friends that did recruitment training anyway. Not saying they don't learn useful shit, but the legion seems like a whole different league, like an actual military that gets shit done. I also tried the university shit like you. Where will you head for pre-selection, Aubagne I presume?
>>
>>56851264
I will visit the FFL Information office in Perpignan (I'm a few hours away by car). In theory, I will be taken to Aubagne from there
>>
>>56851373
Isn't that office closed untill september? I take it that is when you will join then.
>>
>>56851502
what? no, in theory it is open 24/7 all year

I heard it is better to go there from 8 to 8 thought.

But I plan to join this summer when I'm ready (I have to train). I would have no problem with going to any place of southern France by train
>>
>>56851599
It said something like that for a few offices on the site, might want to check it out, though there are many others nearby as you yourself mentioned so it probably won't be any probs.

I'll probably attempt to enlist sometime in August. Good timeframe to get in proper shape in.
>>
I've watched some documentaries on the FFL and their training, and they were probably exaggerated, but being accepted is extremely difficult.
Just watch on youtube, there are a couple of those available.

If you're determined, you'd better learn a bit of french before going there.
>>
>>56851789
good luck, hope to see you there
>>
>>56851902
Knowledge of French does allegedly not matter though I studied French in elementary and high school so while I can't speak the languag I've got a good base for it.

>>56851956
Same to you lad.
>>
>>56852037
The officers only talk in french, so if you want to understand what they expect you to do, knowing it is an advantage
>>
>>56852204
Okay good to know, will work on shaping up my French these coming months.
>>
>>56852204
During the recruitment process, there are translators to make sure everyone can understand, and during the basic training, a lot of time is spent learning French, a native French-speaking partner is assigned to you to make sure you learn, and plenty of other stuff to help you speak French. Those who can't speak fluent French are not deployed on the field. I've heard the experiences of Irish and British guys who didn't speak any French and had no problem joining, but I don't think I will have much trouble, being Catalan
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.