[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Norwegianfags out there? I need hep translating a little
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: Norwegian_Flag.jpg (303 KB, 1024x790) Image search: [Google]
Norwegian_Flag.jpg
303 KB, 1024x790
Any Norwegianfags out there?

I need hep translating a little thing.

How do you say, in perfect Norwegian:

>Love did tear us apart

As in, "love did indeed tear us apart" but you know.

It's for a gay thing, disregard the purpose.

Pls help.
>>
File: 654.jpg (51 KB, 274x360) Image search: [Google]
654.jpg
51 KB, 274x360
>>56781466
>gay thing

tell us more
>>
>>56782276
Pls halp, Norge
>>
Kjærlighet revnet oss
>>
>>56782471
Are you sure?
>>
>>56782609
no
>>
>>56782684
SWEDEN GO AWAY PLEASE, THE COLOUR YELLOW ISN'T ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD, THANK YOU

How do you say it in Swedish tho?
>>
File: daddy2.jpg (18 KB, 278x303) Image search: [Google]
daddy2.jpg
18 KB, 278x303
>>56782471
we have our own saying for it, and it's not that, that's for sure. I can't remember.....
>>
File: last ned.jpg (9 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
last ned.jpg
9 KB, 194x259
>>56781466
kjærlighet skilte oss
>>
File: Whomp - Not sure if serious.jpg (45 KB, 285x130) Image search: [Google]
Whomp - Not sure if serious.jpg
45 KB, 285x130
>Perfect
Norwegian is not a language of love, it would have to be completely redone to give the same sentiment.

So like, if it's a matter of friends turning lovers and then ending the friendship because of it:

"Forelskelsen rev oss i stykker." or "Elskoven rev oss i stykker, ja."

(To fall in love tore us apart.) (The love tore us apart, yeah.)

I would personally go with an inverse to avoid the awkward "love" word because it sounds nerdy as shit in Norwegian.

>>56782471
This basically sounds like "The love (or lollipop) tore our soft tissue."

Can't make perfect grammar without context I'm afraid, and personally this sounds like a vanity thing more than a practical use of language.
>>
>>56783034
It's more:

>Love will tear us apart

And the aftermath of said thing indeed happening.

"Love did tear us apart" or "Love has torn us apart indeed". Is there no way of properly saying it?

The emphasis on "ja" on the second sentence would make it sound completely different if it were not there? As in, simply "Elskoven rev oss i stykker", would this sound ok?

God damn it, my parents are purebreed Norwegian folks, I should know this, but I can't ask them at this time.
>>
>>56783034
Also, how would YOU say it? Personally, to express the sentiment of two people absolutely wrecked by the end of love?
>>
>>56783034
>>56783166

"Forelskelsen rev oss i stykker."

Like the guy said, change the word "kjærlighet" with "forelskelsen". "Kjærlighet" sounds very oldschool conservative
>>
>>56783373
Oldschool conservative is bad in all contexts or just this one?

Fuck, your language intrigues me. You all sound like you're singing when you speak, it's great.
>>
>>56783166
The ja was flavour add, a fairly common one (at least from where I'm from), but can be omitted.

>>56783210
The problem is that saying that so abruptly as a full statement is an awkward thing to do in emotionally distant Norway. I would say:
"Det er sånn det går: Når du blir intim med noen blir vennskapet testet og noen ganger funker det ikke. Det skjer."

(That's how it goes: When you get intimate with someone the friendship's tested and sometimes it doesn't work. It happens.)

Note no mention of love.

But that's just me. I would personally prefer to tell a lover that in the native tongue though, because like how French sounds really great Norwegian sounds really ass. If English is the common then that will get the point across better. If there is a minor language barrier then iduno.

I think the issue is that what you want to say is a highly specialized phrase that doesn't really exist naturally in the Norwegian language. So pasting the above would be sorta weird because it really isn't a stock response.

Unless you can speak Norwegian satisfactory to talk about it then I don't think it will have the intended effect.

I'm and English student though, so I just might be biased.
>>
>>56782812
Same as norwegian more or less lol
>>
>>56783459
>Oldschool conservative is bad in all contexts or just this one?

Depends on what type of guy you are. I doubt that this guy use the word "kjærlighet" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nOOScpHYd0
>>
>>56783583
go away!
>>
>>56783583
nod really
>>
>>56783836
meeh

>>56783774
rude
>>
>>56783544
Fuck, you've given me a lot to think about. I had, obviously, a vague notion that cultural patterns and behaviours of people influenced their language, but as to make something so simple so difficult to translate, it boggles my mind.

Sure, we don't have the same roots in our language, but I doubt that can be attributed to the little hiccup we're facing here.

How would you, then, describe grief after love?

>>56783708
So the word is indeed for old folk? Curiously enough that's what I was aiming for, not necessarily a contemporary version.
>>
>>56783891
Im sorry. I love you Sweden boypussy ˋωˊ
>>
>>56783929
>So the word is indeed for old folk?

old folks and nerds
>>
>>56784000
Faggotry is illegal in russia

i have to report you to putin
>>
>>56783929
Written Norwegian and spoken Norwegian is two different things. The other Norwegians in this thread tend to do as most Norwegians, and have a very verbal approach to the written form. Which is why they feel the word kjærlighet doesn't work.

If you are asking how I personally would communicate it, it would be:
Kjærligheten knuste oss til slutt.
>>
>>56781466
Det som engang var
>>
File: 1454518344794.jpg (13 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1454518344794.jpg
13 KB, 499x499
>>56784528
>knuste
this is the reason you cant take Norwegians seriously
>>
>>56783929
>grief after love

lengsel / savn etter kjærlighet

damn anon, you really sounds old school conservative now
>>
>>56784262
Nerds, as in, fuccbois? Or the kind of libtard nerd pretending to be deep?

>>56784528
Let's pretend I want to do something stupid with it like tattooing it or embroiling it somewhere. How would it sound better if framed in that context?

How you wrote it seems nice.

>>56784570
Hvis lyset tar oss

>>56784639
And put in a sentence? I think we hit the jackpot.
>>
>>56784528
Translator's note: "Knuste" means "Crushed"
>>
>>56785083
In Bergen they make it short and easy, like for example:" faen, jævli savn" which translate " hot damn miss u alot" Everything is covered in these words. Very easy anon
>>
>Kjærligheten rev oss fra hverandre til slutt

Wow, that was hard.
>>
>>56785626

Slet dete
>>
>>56785485
You mean where Varg was born?

Maybe I should ask him, we've talked before.

>Why didn't I think of this
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.