[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
language learning general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Learn-a-Language.jpg (677 KB, 1000x950) Image search: [Google]
Learn-a-Language.jpg
677 KB, 1000x950
How's the studying coming along, /int/olerants?

What are you learning?
What level have you achieved so far?
What resources are you using?
If you're above an intermediate level in your chosen language, what advice would you give to new learners of that language?
>>
Native language: Spanish

> I'm learning English and sometimes Portuguese.
> English: intermediate / Portuguese: Starter
>Academy, Forums for practicing, Doulingo.com and Internet
> I'd say them they have to practise everyday, read, listen and watch videos/movies in X language.
>>
I'm at the level with my Spanish where I'll pick up everything perfectly from a normal conversation but I don't know words for a lot of obscure things. It's really frustrating since I don't know if there's any way to get past this level without immersion for a few years and I don't know if I have the means to do that for years.
>>
Native language: English

>Learning
German
>Level
Most likely beginner, not sure how I'd rate myself
>Resources
Duolingo, Italki, Memrise, Rammstein :)
>Above intermediate
Can't say anything about German, but for anyone wanting to learn English, understanding some basic grammar rules really helps when talking to natives. Choppy sentence flow seems to be a huge issue for some English speakers I know, really bugs them.
>>
>>56753601
I can help you m8, which words you do not know?
>>
>>56753601
At least you understand the language. I only know "Mentirosa" thanks to that Mellow Man song, it's a bummer
>>
>>56752880
Native language: French
>Leaning: Japanese
>Level: Intermediate
>Resource: Living there for studies
>Advise: If you're a weeb, you'll be very disappointed in what Japan has to offer. Otherwise go for it, start kanjis asap.
>>
well my native language is spanish

I have been studying english for 10 months and I can read whatever I want in this language and I can talk very well coming soon I will be learning german and french although I can learn portuguese I think it sounds like shit I discard it.

to spanish learning I recommend you learn this

all verbs in spanish end in ar,er,ir and you have to study and learn its endings

also participles end in ado,ido,to,so,cho

do not study much grammar it only will confuse you

as you know spanish pronunciation is very easy.
>>
>>56753601
You're basically at a high school level. The only solution is to read a lot or do things to expose yourself to more advanced vocabulary. If you can find an equivalent to the English SAT word list it will help a lot. Luckily all you have to do is grind vocabulary now.
>>
Dear Frenchies, is it okay if I pronounce your R sound like a Spanish rolled R? I can't do the gargling thing
>>
I recommend all you pimsleur courses they are audio courses I was able to learn some german in short time.
>>
File: AC7.jpg (26 KB, 363x338) Image search: [Google]
AC7.jpg
26 KB, 363x338
>English
>I think I sometimes have an upper-intermediate level and sometimes a pre-intermediate level
>A new English file book and 4chan
>Listen, watch and read everything about the country language you've chosen, and try to adapt the language to your lifestyle
>>
>>56754445
It's never okay unless you can do an Italian accent.
>>
>>56754153

Escribes muy bien para aprendiz de 10 meses, pero por que quieres empezar a aprender mas idiomas tan pronto? Hace 4 años que aprendo el español y no me siento listo para aprender algo completamente diferente. He aprendido un poco de portugues porque es tan similar al español y me interesa viajar por todo Sudamerica (incluso Brasil), pero no podria aprender aleman o lo que sea sin descuidar me español
>>
Learning: English
Level: Able to read and write for some degree but still need dictionary for unknown words
Resource: Nothing other than dictionary.
Advise for new learners: Not in position to give any advise. Still need to keep shitposting on 4chan to improve my English.
>>
>>56755992

>Resource

He meant what you use to learn the language. Do you watch TV, read books, use language learning software?

How long have you been learning English? You definitely write better than most Nip shitposters on here
>>
Only started very recently but been trying to do German

So far been doing Duolingo/memrise which is pretty fun and also got a grammar textbook coming from Amazon in the next few days

Having fun overall so far but still early days

Any recommendations on resources would be good, was trying to find German news with English subtitles but not luck
>>
>>56756157
4chan is my resource to learn the language, then.
Even shitposting is a good example for me to know how natives are using real English.
Also, I am planning to watch anime which is dubbed in English. (feel odd because original Anime is spoken in Japanese, but I will try to watch it in English...)

I have learned English for total 6 years in school. It's fun for me to learn English, because lots of information are written in English, so I can find more information than typical Japanese do.

>You definitely write better than most Nip shitposters on here
Thanks anon.
>>
File: language_skill.png (40 KB, 766x478) Image search: [Google]
language_skill.png
40 KB, 766x478
Chart for those of you who don't know how to accurately gauge your skill level in a language.
>>
>>56755824
thanks you write very good too

well, I have learned english with much toil I used to learn at least 15 words per day for 10 months and it goes well, the only problem has been the pronunciation
but I think I will overcome it.

well I already have plans to learn german and french

to learn some language I sort them.

for instance
I first study articles,prepositions,nouns,pronouns,adverbs,etc and at last I study verbs because they are more difficult.

well the french pros for me are that all is very seemed to spanish cons its pronunciation is very difficult and aside french has to many verb tenses even more than spanish.

However german has less verb tenses but the cases do it very difficult.

well I have a recommendation for you if you want to learn portuguese be careful because portuguese is very seemed to spanish at the point that I can read and even talk a little with some portuguese speaker, you can confuse.
>>
>>56756506
>tfw A0
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.