[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't Egyptians seem all that concerned about reviving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 3
Why don't Egyptians seem all that concerned about reviving the Egyptian lannguage like jews were for Hebrew or Irish were for Gaelic
>>
Because is haram.
>>
>>56684590
>What is Coptic
>>
>>56684685
a language limited to religious ceremony like Hebrew used to be
>>
>>56684590
would sound epic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENiNRZ7Hldk
0:30
>>
All people should speak the same language.
>>
it took forever to write and it took too much space
>>
>>56685050
then standardize the alphabet; it's thousands of years old
>>
How are an examples of ancient Egypt still intact, early Muslims destroyed tiny little pagan idols in their land, what is Egypt still doing there at all?

>>56685050
>>56685107
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hieratic
>>
>>56685107
there was an alphabet the Hieratic
I suppose it would be cool but pointless
>>
>>56685281
why would it be pointless
>>
>>56684590
>Irish were for Gaelic
Nobody speaks gaelic in Ireland, except Irish yuppies.
>>
>>56685663
>nobody speaks Irish except the people that speak Irish
>>
>>56685861
Cornish is literally doing better than Irish. It's just a meme language spoken by a few enthusiasts, like Klingon. There is no mainstream revival, it will never go past Klingon level.
This is true for both Cornish and Irish btw, but at least Cornish is growing.
>>
>>56684590
Fuck off. Just, fuck off.

Do you think this is funny? Is this amusing to you? Posting idiotic threads with questions nobody can answer.

Get a fucking life. Learn a fucking language. Leave your fucking computer for once in your god damn life you retard.

This isn't funny. Woah, look, he posted a retarded question that nobody knows the answer to! Haha so fucking funny!

NOT

Reported this retarded thread. Enjoy your ban, idiot.
>>
>>56684590

The alphabet isn't simple as other alphabets. e: stork got +4 meanings
>>
>>56686181
>Irish
140,000 in Ireland (2012)[1]
L2 speakers: 1 million in Republic of Ireland (2012),[1] 65,000 in Northern Ireland (2011)[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language

>Cornish
20 children being raised as revived Cornish speakers (2000)[1]
557 people claim Cornish as their main language (2011)[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_language
>>
>>56684590
It would be extremely difficult to reconstruct and we don't even know what the vowels were.

Why not just resurrect Coptic instead, preferably without the overly complicated hieroglyphs? Much easier and it's close enough.
>>
>>56684590
because it's retarded
>>
>>56686345
>in the 2006 census for the Republic, 85,000 people reported using Irish as a daily language outside of the education system, and 1.2 million reported using it at least occasionally in or out of school.

Pretty sad m8.
>>
>>56686767
better than Coptic or Cornish is the point.
>>56686712
I meant Coptic. I'm not 100% on this but I assume the reason it's called Coptic is because the only ones that speak it are Copts, and that it was the last form of Egyptian before it went extinct.
>>
>>56686345
Out of those 140,000 people, almost all of them are old. Irish is not used as a community language. Of young people, the people of the future, Irish is about as popular as Cornish. Perhaps slightly higher due to the higher population in Ireland, but you have to travel for hours to meet people just for the sake of speaking Irish, unless you visit really old people. And the L2 speakers are irrelevant, they only know how to say "hey" and "good bye" and three words, they don't know any real Irish at all.
The density of Cornish speakers in Cornwall younger than 30 years is probably higher than the same for Irish in Ireland.
Irish literally has no future. Sure, it may "survive", but only in enthusiast communities.
It is nowhere close to the level of Hebrew, it has no chance of becoming a community language. It will remain the Klingon of irishboos.
>>
>>56686865
>better than Coptic or Cornish is the point.
Sure, but dont compare it to modern Hebrew, which is spoken natively by almost everyone in Israel,
>>
Egyptians don't exist anymore, the country called nowadays "Egypt" has nothing to do with real egyptians, today's ones are just arabs, as close to egyptians like saudis are.
>>
>>56686865
>I meant Coptic.
Ok then, makes sense. Several millenia have gone by between Coptic and Ancient Egyptian, and consider that it took only a about one to differentiate all of the Germanic languages from proto-german and the Romance languages from Latin. I can't imagine they have very much in common really.
>>
>>56684751
All people speak english, mr english teacher
>>
>>56687292
did Egyptian break off into a bunch of little dialects like Latin or Proto-Germanic? I assumed Egyptians spoke basically one language, which evolved from Ancient Egyptian to Coptic until it was killed off by Arabic.
>>
>>56687178
I don't get these comparisons you're making
what's the point of reviving Coptic/Egyptian/etc?
Hebrew had a reason for being revived atleast
>>
>>56684590
Because they are cucked by arabs.
>>
>>56686234
D U D E

chill out

mang
>>
>>56687740
Please see OP. >>56684590
>>
>>56687740
the same point there was in reviving Hebrew. Jews were an ethnicity that didn't speak the super old language of their ancestors. Egyptians are an ethnicity that don't speak the super old language of their ancestors.
>>
>>56684590
It's like Macedonia, which is not Macedonian anymore.
>>
>>56687870
yeah no
'muh heritage' is not a valid reason
hebrew was needed as a lingua franca
also see>>56687224
>>
>>56687870
But modern Egyptians do speak the language of their ancestors, their ancestors being the Arab conquerors that killed off all the old Egyptians.
>>
>>56686181
Cornish is literally a glorified conlang at this point

Don't get me started on Manx...
>>
File: gaeltacht.png (159 KB, 800x1027) Image search: [Google]
gaeltacht.png
159 KB, 800x1027
>>56686181
>Cornish is literally doing better than Irish. It's just a meme language spoken by a few enthusiasts, like Klingon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaeltacht

>>56686345
>557 people claim Cornish as their main language (2011)[5]

KEK
>>
>>56687549
I'm not sure but the point I was making is that a lot of linguistic drift probably happened over that long time period, whatever the form of it was. Wiki says they probably had geographic dialectical variations throughout their history but this would have been obscured by the writing system in a similar way to how we know little about the earliest versions of Chinese, which are largely guesswork too.
>>
>>56687945
lingua franca's a pretty dumb reason considering there are better candidates than some dead language, like the one we're conversing in right now

also awfully convenient that this dead language also happened to be the one linked to the hebrews, but it couldn't be because you said muh heritage is not a valid reason
>>
>>56688198
>why doesn't everyone just speak English??
only a anglo would say something this retarded
>>
>>56688334
the idea that the only goal of reviving a language would be to establish a lingua franca is questionable. Taking that logic to its natural conclusion, you should be killing off languages rather than reviving them.
>>
>>56684590
Because speaking the same language as your neighbors is more politically and economically viable than 'muh heritage'.
>>
>>56688514
Not going to argue with an Egyptian on that, you'd have a better perspective about it than I do. I do wonder if you feel a little sad about the death of your language though? I mean the Turks kept theirs, the Persians kept theirs, but your people didn't.
>>
>>56684590
Because Egyptians have being invaded and ruled by may different people.
>Greeks
>Semites
>Arabs
>English

Also, it's useless...
>>
>>56688619
Egyptians were ruled by foreigners for something like 1300 years so I doubt they really care anymore.
>>
>>56688514
RARE

What do you personally think of Coptic and Ancient Egyptian? Would you consider reviving one of them as a cultural/identity thing (probably without the hieroglyphs), even if Arabic stayed the primary language?
>>
>>56688923
What's the point? Modern Egyptians are not the same genetically as Ancient Egyptians.
>>
>>56685663
>let me tell you about your country
>>
>>56686868
>probably
So you're talking our your hole. Do you seriously think revived Cornish has any more chance of survival outside enthusiast communities than Irish does? Your statement about Irish being confined to the old isn't even true, the rise of Gaelscoileanna knowledge of the language is increasing among young people., and with this the increasing desire to establish urban Gaeltachtaí. Every town has Irish speakers, the main problem is the intermixing with monolingual English speakers that impedes revival on a community level. Cornish will suffer the exact same problem.
>>
File: 0.jpg (38 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
38 KB, 480x360
ALL THE LIES YOU'VE BEEN TOLD
BABY LET ME SET THIS STRAIGHT
WHAT WE DID BACK THEN WAS GREAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqKZ8cCQWYg
>>
>>56684590
no,because the Egyptians are now blessed with a more beautiful language which is the language of El Quran. the Arabic language. Praise to Allah
>>
>>56688923
>>56688619
>sad about the death of your language though
>reviving one of them as a cultural/identity thing
Even the subtle suggestion of something like this would be considered hilarious.

Arabic identity is a good base for development and adaptment into modern times because it united a historically diverse region under a single language and inter-winded their history for a couple of centuries.
Now why would we new begin right now to distant ourselves from Syrians, Tunisians, Jordanians etc..? I'm aware their countries is not currently in any better shape than ours but still this isn't enough of a reason considering their history too and potential for them to get back on their feet.

Secondly, the current notion between Egyptian youth is headed towards true secularism, modernizing Egypt and separating religion from church. Why would we occupy ourselves into 'resurrecting' coptic identity for example. If anything the coptic identity needs to vanish along with Islam and Islamism.
>>
>>56690325
Yes, why revive these languages?!! why don't we revive the classical Arabic instead? why would i learn an ancient language that might isolate me more from our Arab brothers and sisters?
>>
>>56690325
>>56690400
>>56690410
see
>>56690128
>>
This is kind of random....did you know that modern Egyptian people call their country Masr? Of course the ancient people did not call it "Egypt".
And it is true that some words have been given Greek names but Egyptologists have been able to discover much of the ancient Egyptian language. They can understand hieroglyphics but it just can't be spoken
>>56690128
kek
>>
>>56688334
>>why doesn't everyone just speak English??
>only a anglo would say something this retarded

Feel free to never use English again, Chaim
>>
>>56690128
Yes, Egypt was black, we're just some filthy arabs that occupied this land 1400 years ago. There I admitted it.
Please deport all blacks here to their righteous land and give us all an American green cards instead.

>>56690400
religion from state*
>>
>>56685213
The sands protected stuff and there's a difference between destroying some statuette or random statue of Sobek and trying to destroy a pyramid. Most of what's in museums was found in pyramids, and going into them was a big no because of curses.
>>
>>56684685
Only has a few thousand speakers outside of for religious practices unfortunately.
>>
>>56686756
It's pretty cool desu. I'm glad that you fags did it instead of being yet another Arab speaking nation or having a clusterfuck of different official languages.
>>
>>56687945
>>56687224
Culturally yeah. Ethnically, no. Literally we wuz kangz revisionism. I guess you're the types that say Greeks are just Turks in denial too?
>>
>>56687960
Okay. So I guess Spaniards and Portuguese people are also Arabs then? After all they were ruled by Arabs for 700 years. Oh and the maltese language is so close to Arabic that they can be understood by the Arabs, I guess they're just Arabs too then?

Fuck off with this we wuz kangs shit. It's retarded regardless of if you think the Egyptians were niggers or Aryans. Genetic studies have already btfo you fags.
>>
Old egyptians were heretics
>>
>>56689154
You retards love speaking on topics you know nothing about huh? I never knew the niggers had brainwashed you with WE WUZ KANGZ this badly. Or perhaps you think they were Aryan nordic like other shitposters? Regardless I'll btfo you with genetic studies.

>Excerpt:
*Genetic analysis of modern Egyptians reveals that they have paternal lineages common to indigenous North-East African populations primarily (Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco), and to Middle Eastern peoples to a lesser extent—these lineages would have spread during the Neolithic- and were maintained by the predynastic period.*

Sources used:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1216069/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12495079
>>
>>56690128
This is what half the posters ITT seem to unironically believe.
>>
>>56691818
Genetically us South(West) Germans are more Gallic/Celtic than Germanic, does that mean we should muh hurritage revive Old Gaulish? Not even the French speak Celtic any more, and haven't done so for about 2000 years
>>
>>56693031
No I'm not saying anything like that. Frankly I don't really care. Though the Egyptian language has survived this far mostly through use in Coptic religious practices. Though I'm not implying that they should have some sort of Egyptian renaissance just because of that, I just get pissed off when niggers and nordicists spew idiotic things like saying Egyptians are genetically the same as Arabs and not part of the ancient inhabitants when there is literal proof of the contrary acessible from a quick google search. See >>56691984
>>
>>56693343
I take it you're diaspora?
Makes me wonder if ancient Egyptians were too 18% sub-Saharan autosomally like the modern counterparts are, or if Islamic era mixing with Horners, or even older mixing with Nubians is to blame for that
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JVGdg2UsN3jYWgaoxAZu-QsAmuCaq3kT7FvqSXwUsAA/pubhtml
>>
>>56693460
No what makes you think that? I'm just tired of seeing we wuz bullshit all the time.
>>
>>56693460
Also yeah, probably depends on the era. When Nubia was part of Egypt or vice versa there was bound to be intermarriages between various groups.
>>
>>56693031
you should revive Gaulish, go on
>>
>>56695755
It wouldn't be intelligible with Irish though, probably as distant as German is from Icelandic (you can guess like 1 out of 10 words somehow but the rest is gibberish)
>>
>>56696015
it does not matter my friend, revive Gaulish.
>>
>>56690400
that's understandable but still a bit sad. It seems like sacrificing a part of a culture to appease your neighbors.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.