[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Henry_II,_Plantagenet_Empire.png (26 KB, 322x376) Image search: [Google]
Henry_II,_Plantagenet_Empire.png
26 KB, 322x376
What went wrong?
>>
The French
The Spanish
The HRE
Denmark
Italy
Poland/Lithuania
Russia
>>
>>56662044
>The HRE

Did you know this interesting fact that the Holy Roman empire is neither Holy nor Roman?
>>
>>56663328
Did you (guys) know Estonians can vote online now?
>>
>>56661978
The Netherlands is really fucking deformed on that map.
>>
>>56661978
This is such a misleading map. It suggest that Plantagenet holdings in Western France were independent from French crown, which isn't true.
>>
>>56661978
the color of the map is painted yellow and not blue instead, that's what's wrong
>>
>>56663742
they were but that's besides the point, it doesn't say "map of sovereign states by 19th century standards" anywhere
>>
>>56661978
This kind of unnatural borders trigger too much autism to last long
>>
Medieval logistics
>>
File: big xi and big dave.jpg (51 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
big xi and big dave.jpg
51 KB, 600x338
We realised before anyone else that holding large tracts of land on the Continent is more trouble than it's worth. Over half a millennium later, the rest of Europe still hasn't figured this out and they're suffering the consequences
>>
>>56661978

Too many cowardly disgusting French people lived in those lands, thankfully the English were able to trick the French government into relieving them of it.
>>
File: at last 2.png (93 KB, 600x507) Image search: [Google]
at last 2.png
93 KB, 600x507
>>56664060
sheeeeit
>>
>>56663835
They weren't independent. Henry II was a duke in France but a King in England. This map is very misleading it represents an 19th century standard by giving the name empire. Those were holdings of Henry II but they weren't a coherent state.
>>
>>56664112
>Henry II was a duke in France but a King in England

The French crown had Authority in name only over him. That was the whole point of Hundred Years War, the French crown could no longer control the English kings and so decided to reclaim their french possessions.
>>
>>56663988
>we
>realised

It wasn't a conscious decision to let go of Plantagenet holdings in France, they were only unhanded because they lost them.

Also giving a "we" to that as if the ideals of a nation state or as if it was a coherent state is just flat out retarded.
>>
>>56664274
My condolences for your deceased sense of humour, when did it pass away?
>>
>>56664308
It was stillborn
>>
>>56664193
No you have a very Post-Napoleon and Post 30-years war viewpoint on those holdings.

The reason for 100 years war was because Henry, as Duke of France had claim to the throne via family, he was also King of England. Nobility did not want King of England also be King of France, because that would make their claim over both England and France too strong.

The French crown had no authority over Henry's possessions in England, because French crown did not own Henry but the territory of France. For Henry's possessions in France the King of France was his liege but Henry was an independent ruler of England at the same time. Looking at those holdings as a coherent state is wrong. That's why I said this map is misleading.
>>
>>56664308
I just hate this anglo revisionist bullshit, it is literally everywhere it is making me autistic and giving me cancer.
>>
>>56661978

we didn't really want it anyway
>>
>>56664384
>For Henry's possessions in France the King of France was his liege

That's not how it works. Because of his strength as King of England the King of France could not command him as duke of Normandy. While he was technically his liege, he had no actual power he could assert without starting a war. Which is what caused the Hundred Years War.
>>
>>56664470
The Hundred Years War started because Plantagenets had claim to the throne of France not because King of France didn't "control" counties Plantagenets owned.

>Because of his strength as King of England the King of France could not command him as duke of Normandy.

This is not how any of these work. You are not only assuming King of France directly commanded his holdings you are also assuming that King of England could directly command the duchies and counties he owned inside France.

There wasn't a coherent central control by King of England over his holdings in France but rather a loose connection. King of France also didn't control King of France as if he was an employee but rather was owner of his territories in France.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.