[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
explain to me those high depression/suicide rates/mass shootings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: depressed400.jpg (45 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
depressed400.jpg
45 KB, 400x400
explain to me those high depression/suicide rates/mass shootings in developed countries. I'm talking to you, japan and norway. and US (I'm not american)
>>
>>56613524
Life is "too good" and people aren't facing the trials nature made for them. (Growing food, knowing hunger, surviving.) so they don't see a reason to live anymore.
>>
>japan
dishonored your family
>norway
country sucks except for muh oil, literally no sunshine for half the year, why not kill yourself?
>>
>>56613563
>country sucks
>best life quality in the world
>country with smallest social division in the world
>country with smallest sex discrimination in the world

and japan for the shame based culture?
>>
>>56613553

I thought it was funny on this show "Frontier House" from some years back where they had three families go out and try to live like people did in 1883 in Montana. Building their own house and everything.
At the end the women were all glad to get out of there but all the men were crying and didn't really want it to end.
Even the millionaire Malibu guy,
>>
Watching anime is keeping many young guys alive in here, moreover, anime saves many foreigners as well

All hail anime!
All hail anime!
All hail anime!

That's all
>>
People that live in poor countries are more active because life is harder so they don't have time to fuck around.

People that love in rich countries can very easily lose everything if they lose their job or get divorced and can afford to sit inside all day alone. Unlike the humble banana farmer of Brazil, they have the time to be miserable.
>>
>>56613744
so if you work too much you get happy?
>>
>>56613767
Your body can't withstand
>>
>>56613744
Then why do developing nations generally have higher suicide rates?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate
>>
>>56613767

No, you just don't have time to sit and cry if you're working 60 hours a week in some shitty favela. Japs work a lot too but most of their work sedentary and office-based.

Physical activity and fitness staves off depression, basically.
>>
>>56613813

But your source shows the opposite.
>>
>>56613814
see
>>56613813
>>
>>56613840
Eight of the top ten are developing, so, nah.
>>
Poor countries have high depression, high suicide rates and mass shootings but nobody cares about people dying there because its so commonplace.
Every day you can see another suicide bomber in Pakistan killing tens of people, but you don't see 129 people getting murdered too often in civilized countries.
>>
Higher expectations, maybe?
It's okay to be a farmer when all your friends are farmers, but when your friends can be managers and successful when you're not, it gets harder...

also higher intellect helps feed the depression bug :^) whitey and asia knows this feel
>>
>>56613813
why do males kill themselves that much more than females
>>
>>56613814
Developing countries also seem to, generally have higher rates of depression, nine of the top ten.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_depression
>>
>>56613524
you can get nearly everything so nothing has worth anymore. There is an experiment with guinea pigs that shows modern society just google it.

Just play Gothic 2 NotR!
>>
>>56613862

That's just moving goalposts fella. There's over 100 countries listed and Western countries are almost all in the top 50. I could equally ask why the lowest 10 are developing countries.
>>
>>56613877
Part of the reason is that they tend to use more practical methods. As for emotional reasons, no idea.
>>
>>56613877
They're more likely to be successful, using guns and shit rather than pills
men are braver and more cowardly at the same time :^))
>>
>>56613898
Possibly explained by better recording of cause of death.
>>
>>56613524
For Norway it's just depressing. For Japan it's because of the shit-tier Asian work culture. and >>56613614
>>
>>56613524
We don't have suicide rates, and we've had one mass shooting since the second world war.
>>
>>56613974
>We don't have suicide rates
We don't have a high suicide rate*
>>
>>56613877

Men tend to handle negative emotions like anger and jealousy worse than women which can lead to some extreme actions. And they use more practical methods rather than impulse. Of all the people I've known that tried to commit suicide the men all succeeded and used methods like hanging or guns while the women all failed and tried shit like swallowing pills.
>>
>>56613974
you have higher suicide rates than haiti a lot of south american countries m8. 81th out of 170 countries. that's pretty big for the country with the best quality of life in the world.
>>
>>56614056
It really isn't.
>>
>>56613877
>why do males kill themselves that much more than females
Women are more likely to attempt suicide. Men are more likely to commit suicide. Women typically use overdose, poisoning, and other means. Thing is, we're actually really good at resuscitating patients from many kinds of overdose, drug interactions, poisoning, etc. Men on the other hand tend to use physical violence -- strangulation, puncture wounds and other cuts or lacerations, blunt force, and firearms. If you're stabbed, shot, clubbed, or thrown off a building, you're probably going to die unless someone intervenes very quickly. So even though men tend to attempt suicide less frequently than women, their means are much more lethal, resulting in a higher rate of suicide.

Why exactly this is the case is something of a mystery. There's a lot of theories about women wanting to preserve their corpses and men wanting to be 100% sure, but these explanations are inconsistent and lack predictive utility. We could settle on something akin to "men tend to be more physical in terms of their violent expressions, so they use more physical means to commit suicide," but that's a big can of worms, and really, we just don't know the answer to this question.
>>
>>56613813
>Comoros
What the heck, I didn't even know this was a country. Fucking Africans and their made up places.
>>
File: 1393248234912.jpg (20 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1393248234912.jpg
20 KB, 400x388
Maybe it's just society? My experience is pretty anecdotal.
I'm horribly depressed, I'd say I don't know why but I do, it's hard to explain.
I haven't had a friend since I was 14, I'm 25. Don't know how to drive, family was too poor for a car. I take the bus 90 minutes each way to go to university because I can't afford to live closer.
I haven't talked to a person that wasn't my mother about non-school related things face to face in probably years.
I'm too scared to tell my psychiatrist my real thoughts because he might force me to be hospitalized. I've been on 4 or 5 different antidepressants now since I was 21.
The hard part is that being depressed is just taboo. You're not allowed to talk about it with anyone, even your doctor is difficult.
I wish I had a real medical condition instead
>>
>>56614090
I care about you, Anon
do well in school
>>
How do I kill myself if I don't have access to guns? Hanging, right?

It's not about refugees or anything, it's simply about my failed existence. I can't wait to die t bh/ütz
>>
>>56614241
swiss suicide by train skyrocketed after they began restricting access to bullets due to high suicide rates
just saying
>>
>>56614241
blood choke. have you ever been choked before and passed out? it's a very comforting feeling.
>>
>>56613877
Because women are always being taken care of by males...
>>
>>56614071
Is there ANYTHING women are fucking good at?
>>
>>56614252
You Americans are so lucky to have guns, they're such a convenient method of suicide.
>>
>>56613877
because women are fucking coddled by society
they're so coddled that they think they're not coddled
>>
>>56614389
>>56614270
>Women are nearly twice as likely as men to be diagnosed with depression
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/depression/art-20047725
>>
File: 14550130077540.jpg (147 KB, 600x393) Image search: [Google]
14550130077540.jpg
147 KB, 600x393
>>56613865
>>56613872
This.
>>
>>56614463
>>56614389
>>56614270

>Men die by suicide 3.5x more often than women.
>Females attempt suicide three times more often than males.
>females are twice more likely to be depressed than males
http://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/
>>
>>56614463
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071624/
>Gender bias in screening tools may lead to overdiagnosis of depression in women
>>
>victim complexes talking about women having victim complexes
tip toppity kek
>>
>>56614520
>>56614463
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-depressed-men-idUSBRE97R15V20130828
It's well known that depression diagnostic criteria are heavily biased towards women, dumbass.
i.e, men show almost zero tendency to overeat or have random bouts of crying but it's still a 'strong predictor' of depression in the latest APA
yet it mentions nothing of substance(incl. alcohol) abuse, which is almost constant amongst every depressed male.
>>
high expectations of happiness and a special other in their life growing up with romantic movies and disney

>be nice to girls, study hard, and you'll be a great catch!

the only catch is when you jump off the table
>>
>>56614848
Be a bit of a dick to girls, study hard, work hard and learn to be funny/interesting.

It's not rocket science.
>>
>>56613524
>(I'm not american)
you have to go back
>>
In a third world country, your family needs you to survive. Even teens are expected to work in a lot of developing countries. The bonds between husband and wife are made stronger by the need to cooperate and survive. A family is a group working together in the third world, and killing yourself would be selfish, you would be letting your family down. In first world countries, we see high rates of divorce. Most people are estranged and detached from each other. The lack of hardships caused people be isolated in their struggle. There is nothing for them to work for, and even worse, no one to feel close to. Even married couples often live separate lives with separate ideals and goals. People in first world countries lack a feeling of cohesiveness with their fellow man, an as a result feel there is no reason to live.
>>
It's a good thing. The weak removed themselves.
>>
People kill themselves in garbage countries as well.

However I'd imagine the big difference is how easy it is to become a loner who spends his time in a small room in front of a computer. That really lets bad thoughts build up.
>>
>>56614270
>>56614389
This.
If a woman is feeling depressed then if she speaks out she'll have a wave of beta-orbiters ready to do anything to make her feel good.

If a guy speaks out about terrible he feels, he's a total failure and he should suck it up and be a man.
>>
Since my parents gave me the best life quality money can buy i didnt have to work, since school was easy i didnt have to study, since the computer was always there i didnt have to be social. And now im not a teenager anymore and i cant work cant study and cant socialize.
Depression follows suit
>>
arbeit macht frei vielleicht
>>
>>56614520
>females are twice more likely to be depressed than males
because they're more likely to seek help and/or be noticed when experiencing depression

>Females attempt suicide three times more often than males
there's also a statistic saying that one in three women will be raped, but another saying that over 40% of rape claims are lies

Since every wrist slashing and pill OD is considered a suicide attempt, it looks like women are experiencing the same thing

>Men die by suicide 3.5x more often than women.
Because nobody reaches out to a man who isn't acting right and he has been taught to man up and accept responsibility for everything. Suicide is just men doing what they do, which is setting a goal and achieving it. It's rarely supposed to be conspicuous.
>>
>>56615881
And having all these qualities is even worse while living here.
>>
>>56614033
>Of all the people I've known that tried to commit suicide
Are you serious?
>>
>>56613524
Life is shallow and consumerism is the main religion. Also there are more people to do work than there is work to be done so now for the first time in history you can really be obsolete, especially in developed countries.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.