[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Japanese houses all look the same? I know in some European
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: Japan-houses-6-13-hybrid-house.jpg (148 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Japan-houses-6-13-hybrid-house.jpg
148 KB, 800x600
Why do Japanese houses all look the same? I know in some European cities they have to build according to very strict rules that regulate building material, colour, etc. But is this the same in Japan? And what the hell are these houses made out of anyway? Concrete?
>>
>>56292979
>Concrete?

Even in SA we build houses out of concrete.

What the fuck is with your faggots building houses out of cardboards
>>
>>56293010

At least we can rebuild easily when newer technology comes along whereas you have to fucking demolish European homes to modify them. It also makes for a home repair/renovation market where idiots who think they can build end up buying a shit ton of wood (from the Amazon rainforest probably) to try and build onto their homes only to fail and disappoint their wives.
>>
Japs are scared shitless of standing out. Combine that with terrible taste in architecture and there you go.
>>
I like them, they look unique, kinda comfy
>>
>>56293048
>At least we can rebuild easily
you wouldn't need to rebuild if you made those houses to endure severe conditions
>>
Have you even been to Japan before?
>>
>>56293049

> Japs are scared shitless of standing out

But yet foreigners get a bunch of love and attention (or so I've heard)
>>
>>56293050

Very comfy from what I've seen. Not too much, not too little *cough* Europe
>>
>>56293082

Rebuilding because of a desire for change, not disaster. My grandparents built their home and every so many years they add onto it or modify how many rooms there are (for guests and stuff). The living room is now two separate bedrooms and the old kitchen is the new living room which is much bigger. They also repaint it a lot, change the roofing and built a garage on the side.
>>
File: s6302951.jpg (2 MB, 2816x2112) Image search: [Google]
s6302951.jpg
2 MB, 2816x2112
>>56292979
Didn't even know modern Japan had houses. Looks pretty comfy and first world.
>>
>>56293189
you can expand concrete houses too
admit it, you anglos are just plain cheap

>>56293450
but they arr rook same, which is OP's and the okinawan's >>56293049 complaint
>>
we prace priority on earthquake resistant
don't give a shit about design Senpai
>>
>>56293135
https://youtu.be/7FYuYkPgDkk
>>
>>56292979
>same looking houses
When a certain block which once used to be farm or field turns to residential area, it happens.
Housing supplier simultanously build houses with same assembly, and sell them.
Middle class family may buy them.
>>
>>56293049
although i doubt the former when it comes to houses, the latter is agreed. japanese in general have really shit taste in architecture.
>>
These damn houses are made of my baked poops
>>
>>56292979
Is this a joke? Houses in newer Canadian suburbs are copied and pasted cardboard abominations. Houses in early 20th, late 19th century Canadian "streetcar" suburbs are build out of brick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay-and-gable

There are neighbourhoods of concrete brick houses (north york in gta for example).
>>
>>56292979
Hahaha my home also rook similar to that pic
>>
>>56293906

That happens here too when one developer builds a bunch of similar homes, but that doesn't explain why these types of homes are seen EVERYWHERE in Japan. You mean to tell me the same guy is going around building all these houses all over Japan?
>>
File: IS9tg1aqs98x771000000000[1].jpg (223 KB, 1024x727) Image search: [Google]
IS9tg1aqs98x771000000000[1].jpg
223 KB, 1024x727
>>56294771
A lot of newer homes still look good tho.
>>
>>56294808
can I live with you?
>>
>>56295120

That is definitely an American home
>>
>>56295295
Zillow doesn't list Canadian homes. Are new Canadian houses really so ugly that you can tell like that?
>>
>>56292979
They look comf af.
I would definitely anime in one of those.
>>
>>56295372
They're not. Japan can't into insulation.
>>
>>56295411
y
?
>>
File: 1457844035005.jpg (156 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1457844035005.jpg
156 KB, 800x600
>>56292979
this shit is so adorable
>>
>>56295461
I don't know.
>>
>>56295322

Japan destroys any and all natural elements when building something new, so to see a whole bunch of grass around the house is a definitely sign that it's not Japanese. You'd see all concrete and other houses crammed into a small space. And definitely not European because they build with earthen material (brick mostly). You gotta be blind not to see that it is an American home.
>>
File: 1457078686709.jpg (35 KB, 357x415) Image search: [Google]
1457078686709.jpg
35 KB, 357x415
The neighborhood I live in is very diverse when it comes to what sort of houses there are

Some of them looks just like they have been airlifted straight from a European neighborhood

Close to my house there is a Swedish house and a very British looking house, then you have a lot of typical American suburb houses mashed together with very traditional Japanese houses

I am not quite sure if this complete mismatch of buildings looks ugly or charming

Living in a Tokyo suburb by the way
>>
File: o-ILLEGAL-KITCHEN-GARDEN-570.jpg (58 KB, 570x477) Image search: [Google]
o-ILLEGAL-KITCHEN-GARDEN-570.jpg
58 KB, 570x477
>>56295493

Not as adorable as people who grow food in front of their house.
>>
>>56295551
Nah nigga, you're not getting what I was trying to say.
I was saying that a lot of new American/Canadian houses look good.
>>
>>56295568

What suburb?
>>
>>56295580

That style is called the American four square. It's literally just four rooms on each floor. Bottom floor is usually kitchen, living room, master bedroom and a place to do laundry or sometimes an extra room. Top is usually just 3 bedrooms and a bathroom. Very common layout here. I live in a foursquare house
>>
>>56295574
radioactive food you want to say
>>
>>56295593
The sea of suburbs in between Kanagawa and Tokyo

If anything the buildings are so different that they start to look all alike
>>
>>56292979
>Why do Japanese houses all look the same?

Most of today's urban Japanese landscape came from a relatively short period of post-war prosperity so there was no major change in architecture style. Lots of rural people coming into cities put pressure on speed of housing development and that favoured proven, cheap solutions over experimantation.
I'm also sure that climate and regulations due to earth quake risks affect house design.
>>
>>56295740

I'm pretty certain that changing the colour alone wouldn't take much effort. That's really all you need to set them apart.
>>
>>56295724

Isn't Kanagawa a completely separate city? You expect me to guess the suburb between two completely different cities??
>>
>>56295782
It is true that they are very desaturated, even the Swedish house uses a less brighter color then they usually have

The shapes of all the houses are extremely diverse though

As I said, the houses looks so different that you cant really categorize them and thus you end up putting them in the same category which adds to the "samey" feel
>>
>>56295833

I heard that being part of a "group" is common in Japan and explains why people like to dress the same, drive similar cars, eat similar food, etc.

I noticed this actually when watching a K-Pop reaction on YouTube (I know they're not Japanese) but the American girl watching it said "ew, they're all wearing the same thing" which to me seems very common in Japanese/Korean music videos, but it made me realise how much Americans and Canadians hate being part of the crowd.
>>
>>56292979
an opinion with no knowledge
>>
>>56295799
Have you even looked at Tokyo? Look at the space in between Tokyo city and Kanagawa prefecture

It is more or less just one gigantic fucking sea of houses
>>
>>56295904
Based Nipponji
>>
>>56292979
>not having a cat waiting on the fence outside for school girl to pet.
>>
>>56295912

You're saying you live in a "suburb" that is probably bigger in size than my entire province and you expect me to find a European style house in all that?
>>
>>56295782
That's like saying a blue f150 is more similar to navy blue hilux than red f150 because they're a closer match in colour. Are you a female by any chance?
>>
>>56295322
Canadians live in igloos.

Do you know nothing of Canadian culture?......it's like a dome of snow hollowed out so white people can sneak inside and rape helpless young Inuit girls who smell like seal blubber.
>>
>>56296010
>bigger in size than my entire province
you live on PEI or something?
>>
>>56295411
Yes they can Debiddo san.

You don't know shit, how surprising.
>>
>>56296632
More like you don't know shit. If you've spent your whole life living in Japan then you probably have no idea what a well insulated house feels like. Half you motherfuckers use space heaters because your houses don't even have proper radiators.
>>
>>56296237

Close. NS.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.