[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what was the point of independence if your language is dead,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: 1081045.png (107 KB, 250x344) Image search: [Google]
1081045.png
107 KB, 250x344
So what was the point of independence if your language is dead, and because of that your culture crippled?
>>
I funded the IRA when they were fighting for independence because I thought it would be fun
>>
Because
MUH
PRODDY
BASTARDS
>>
>>56261817
Their language is actually on the rise and many schools make studying it to a degree compulsory.
>>
>>56261959
Their language is mostly dead unless they really make an effort and drop English to second language status (lol not gonna happen)

Even Basque has more vitality.
>>
>>56261959
t. plastic paddy
>>
>>56262125
>Even Basque has more vitality.
what are some irl memes about the basque?
>>
Actually Gaelic speaker rates decreased after their independence. Until lately they didn't give much of a fuck. Now it is completely dead, and they try to force it, which seems pretty futile and economically hurtful.
>>
>>56261817
UK was a shit country to live in so it was better to get out. We have a superior standard of living compared to Northern Ireland so it shows it paid off
>>
>>56261959
Their language is pretty much already dead when 50% of the everyday vocabulary comes from another language.
>>
>>56261817
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1JrpKBr2sXA
>>
>>56263479
English died a long time ago then.
Good job britcucks.
>>
>>56261817
how do you say that in Irish?
>>
File: westbritain.jpg (90 KB, 576x423) Image search: [Google]
westbritain.jpg
90 KB, 576x423
Not Irish, but this is the perfect opportunity to leave this here.
>>
>ireland went independent and let their language die anyway
>turks romanised their language and genocided their literary tradition harder than they did the k*rds and armenians

ireland = turk tier
>>
>>56263564
t. plastic paddy
please my leave my country and go to your "glorious homeland" ireland
>>
>>56261817
>There are people that unironically speak Irish

Cromwell should have finished the Irish off 2bh
>>
>>56261817
I don't know much about Ireland, but I tend to agree. In the Western World, language is the most important aspect of culture--even more so than religion, now that that's more or less dead in the West (even in the U.S. it's declining rapidly). This is why I favor making English the official language of the U.S. and strictly enforcing our immigration laws, but that's another story.

The Irish seem like little more than an insular variety of English. Their identity seems shaped more by what their not--English, British, and Protestant--than by what they are.

By the way, nothing against the Irish. Most of my ancestors are from Ireland, and my father is very sentimental about the country. But I feel no connection with it.
>>
>>56262824
Says the muslim chink.

I'm merican. I don't really know or care where my ancestral roots lie, but any fool would know such basic information.
>>
>>56264914
I'm not Irish, I enjoy the song and the history is an interesting read.
>>
>>56266515
>the history is an interesting read.
it is a history of failure
>>
>>56261817

Ireland will be independent the day they will stop drinking tea, looking rugby, speaking English, going into anglo sphere in vacancies ... So, the day they will stop swallowing the British sperm
>>
>>56263479
What are you talking about? Irish mostly comes up with its own words for modern things. It's nothing like English.
>>
>>56261959
>many schools make studying it to a degree compulsory.
It's compulsory nationwide up throughout all primary and secondary education. It's just taught like shit.

>>56261817
The gall of somebody who speaks what is essentially meme-Italian criticising other countries' languages, smhfamily
>>
>>56264208
>west brits crouching in dublin
perfect
>>
>>56265759
yeah nah leave my cunt
>>56265822
>Their identity seems shaped more by what their not--English, British, and Protestant--than by what they are.
only foreigners believe this
>>
>>56267029
Those modern official coinages don't get disseminated properly so you often hear gaeilgeoirí drop in an English word for uncommon or technical things. It's really jarring
>>
>>56268026
and there he is again
t. John "Heritage" Billy Johnson, true irish for five years
>>
>>56268189
>a frog exists near me
le drake hand meme.jpg
>>56268030
well its hard to remember technical terms when you probably learned them in english first
must be annoying though i imagine
>>
>>56268278
>well its hard to remember technical terms when you probably learned them in english first
must be annoying though i imagine
Sometimes they're taking the piss though, especially when the Irish is literally just the same as the English but gaelicised to fit the language. It sounds much worse when the English word 'pension' is dropped mid-sentence instead of pinsean.
>>
>>56268026
Everything in both of those posts were true.
>>
ㅇㅇ
>>
>>56268764
ah well
at least theyre using it mostly
>>56268876
my post or the ones i replied to
>>
File: 1457754940213.jpg (8 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
1457754940213.jpg
8 KB, 226x223
>>56266966
stay jelly france

>his friends are burgers and SCOTLAND
>>
>>56265822
language is a largely cosmetic aspect of culture, like a totem pole or pyramid even
>>
>>56270406
how convenient, a concept of language and culture that removes the onus on you to learn Irish in order to be Irish :^)
>>
>>56270611
"culture" is a set of attitudes and behaviours shared by a populace that is both informed and formed from the people around you without elaborating too excessively

a chinese person could learn irish for instance in total seclusion from online resources, it's lazy to equate language with culture
>>
>>56269344
The ones you replied to, obviously.
>>
File: tumblrfilename.jpg (36 KB, 599x551) Image search: [Google]
tumblrfilename.jpg
36 KB, 599x551
>people who got a C2 in ordinary level irish talking shit to other who dont give a shit
>>
>>56270611

>Americans, Canadians, Australians, etc are English
>>
>>56270871
They're Anglos.
>>
>American
>Anglo
"No"
>>
>>56271119
they're *anglophone much like nigeria
>>
>>56271198
yes you fool
>>
>>56271237
It's not the same as Nigeria, Nigerians largely speak different languages and pidgin English.
>in b4 le hAmerican English isn't English either exdee
>>
File: 1406444299913.jpg (44 KB, 433x318) Image search: [Google]
1406444299913.jpg
44 KB, 433x318
>>56268189
>>56268764
>>56268876
>>56270828
>>
>Ireland completely adopts Irish as it's mandatory language, english is not allowed
>All babies taught irish only, irish road signs only, all documentation only in irish, etc.

>1 generation later
>English becomes the lingua franca of the world
>tourism drops dramatically because no one want to visit a country they can't communicate in
>economy in the shitter
>BUT WE SURE SHOWED THOSE ENGLISH CUNTS THEY CAN'T RULE US.
>>
>>56261959
>and many schools make studying it to a degree compulsory
All schools do. There are certain schools that -only- teach through Gaeilge.
>>
>>56263479
Irish is one of the few languages that has actually developed its own words for shit like "the internet" (Idirlíon).

You're talking bollocks, lad.

>>56264015
Nach bhfuil Gaeilge agat?
>>
>>56270798
A Chinese person speaking Irish does not make them Irish, but an Irish person that can't speak Irish doesn't fit half the criteria either.

Ethno-linguistic groups exist for a reason.
>>
>>56277889
>Irish is one of the few languages that has actually developed its own words for shit like "the internet" (Idirlíon).
I bet if you go out to some of them Gaeltachts you'll find a load of people calling it "an tInternet" or some shit anyway
>>
>Curious about learning Irish
>Hey this is pretty cool, VOS word order is fun, etc.
>Suddenly, crazy phonology and fucked up orthography

I tried, guys. But y'all need a spelling reform and you need it now.
>>
>>56280560
meant to say VSO, not VOS
>>
>>56261876

Plastic paddy's should be waterboarded to death.
>>
>>56280560
Irish orthography is odd coming from another language but it's pretty consistent unlike English. English needs a spelling reform if anything.
>>
>>56280560
our spelling is fine. you're the problem
>>
>>56263479
pot calling the cattle black
half of English is french
>>
>>56280776
>>56271460
can you 2 leave America or kill yourselves?
im fine with either option, hell you could do the best possible scenario and do both
>>
>>56277889
>Idirlíon
Sounds cool.
Gonna name my elf decker that.
>>
>>56280560
There is literally nothing wrong with Irish spelling.
>>
>>56270406
>>56270798
Language is absolutely not a cosmetic aspect of culture. The language we speak shapes the thoughts were capable of having. Not only have philosophers argued this for a very long time, but countless studies have shown the influence one's language has on one's political and social beliefs, customs, and attitudes.

People don't care about food, dress, etc. In most Western countries they don't even care about religion any more, even among the churchgoing. "You're a Lutheran/Jew/Buddhist? Neat! I'm a Catholic/Methodist/Mormon. . . " But people will all but go to war over language. Look at Canada and Belgium. In Ukraine, when Russians were justifying their aggression recently, they did it on the basis of protecting Russian-speaking peoples there. That's precisely what they said. Not just Russians, but "Russian-speaking peoples."

Language is the single most important part of who we are.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.