[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Creating a language/ Conlang general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: 1457556914448-837128724.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1457556914448-837128724.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the board to post this on, but it seems about right.

So I'm really into languages, dialects, and everything of that sort. I'm also really into writing and so sometimes I like to create characters from fictional land who surreal fictional languages.

I'd basically just like to discuss with you guys and see if anyone else is into this as well. Here's my alphabet so far:
Ää Aa Åå Bb Ćć Dd Đđ Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Öö Oo Pp Rr RRrr Ss Šš Tt Uu Üü Vv Zz Žž

Pic not really related
>>
Is there anything inherently wrong with mixing letters of different language families like I'd done there?
>>
This has been tried loads of times on /int/, think they just give up half of the time
>>
>>56146231
Really? Well that sucks
>>
>>56146308
Wait ignore that post, I thought you were trying to create a new functional language
>>
>>56146418
Lol nah. Just something concrete at least. Like whatever is said could consistently be translated.
>>
>>56145606
Using meme letters to make your language look fancy and mysterious isn't a good approach, try first to find out what you want your language to sound like.
>>
Why don't you just design an entirely new writing system for English?
If you want to construct a language, forget the alphabet, what matters is grammar and then vocabulary secondarily. Writing is an afterthought.
Start reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics
>>
>>56146578
>Meme letters
>fancy and mysterious

I don't think I follow.
>>
>>56146651
The reason I don't do that is because the language isn't meant to be English. It's got different sentence structure, grammar and all.
>>
>>56146779
>Three A's
>Ć but no C
>No W

>>
>>56147014
Ä - apple
A - Ahh
Å - hard to explain
C is obsolete
Č - CH
Đ - J
Š - Sh
Ž - Zh
No W sound is present
>>
>>56147201
Ć*
>>
>>56147201
>having 2 J's
>C is obsolete
>Ć and Č but no C
>Using Š instead of Sch or Sh
>Using Č instead of Tsch or Ch
>No W
>>
>>56147325
The J makes more of a Y sound, thus no Y.

C IS obsolete, being able to be replaced with S or K. My personal opinion, forget C.

Ć, Š, and Ž allow for the creation of a sound with fewer letters
>>
>>56146889
You gotta think how people developed languages irl. That is, they talked and afterwards found a way to write it down.

So the alphabet should be the last thing you develope. Otherwise your language will sound stupid
>>
>>56147867
Oh, I have been thinking about that, and forming the alphabet around the sounds I want in the language. Not the Kruger way around. That's why certain letters are there and certain ones aren't.
>>
>>56148074
The other way around*
>>
>>56145606
I have my own language. But none of you will get it!
Ne en güt nüre tahnate łu!

I'd recommend looking at this:
http://www.zompist.com/kit.html
http://www.ipachart.com/
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/IPA_consonants_2005.png
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5a/IPA_vowel_chart_2005.png

Gütreli!
-goat_head
>>
>>56148348
Thanks for that :)
>>
>>56148348
>>56148662
Actually, no, I'm not done.

You just gotta go through and translate shit. I suggest using latin stems and words to create a more fantasy feel to it.

What kind of people would be speaking the language? People tend to speak softer languages in colder climates and when they're lots of foliage, but louder in the reverse situation.

I translate often some random sentences I find while surfing 4chan, and then put those words into a google doc dictionary. MAKE SURE TO HAVE A CLEAR IDEA OF GRAMMAR. You don't have to have it fully fleshed out before you start translating, and while you do some things WILL change, but make sure that the words flow decently.
>>
>>56148662
>>56148727
Also!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFWc0sBO62c&list=PLduA6tsl3gygfiWmGAhhHb4-HAqP6I63l
(He's not updating it often, but its still useful to me).
https://www.youtube.com/user/Xidnaf/videos
Might give you a few ideas/ help you a bit.
>>
>>56148727
This particular language is spoken in a very cold, snowy area and I would like for it to sound like a mixture between a Germanic and Slavic language. It's not meant to sound very fantastical at all. Quite the opposite, really, meaning to sound as if it could be an actual spoken language

"To the untrained ear, it sounded like she was switching back and forth, seamlessly between Russian and maybe German."
Something that would fit that description haha

I'm still fine tuning the grammar, but I've got the basics for now.
>>
File: whatwodul.png (101 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
whatwodul.png
101 KB, 1280x1024
>>56149485
same actually in the cold snowy part for my language.
>see pulneran
>>
>>56149825
That's pretty cool what you've got going on there. Are those language names are the types of people living in a given area?
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 728x515) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 728x515
>>56149825
>Preștirea
>>
File: 1457564969162988294531.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1457564969162988294531.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Better picture of my map from earlier. Send relevant
>>
>>56151702
>make up fictional places
>give them real-world names
Never understand why you guys do this.
>>
>>56151928
Real world names? These names don't exist.
You mean realistic names and not made up nonsense with no vowels?

This planet is pretty much Earth 2. An undiscovered time in the future when humans colonised another planet in a different solar system. Most of the countries are named after their founders anyhow.
>>
>>56152100
>>56151928
Except Edinburgh.. Sort of. That one was a request
>>
>>56151229
those are the names of the countries.
the language is called pulneran, and some of the countries correspond to their languages, but not all.
>>
>>56152321
Ah, pretty cool. So have you created all of those languages already, or just come up with names for them?
>>
>>56152427
I'm currently making the dictionary for pulneran - I haven't gone into the others yet.
>>
File: rt.png (63 KB, 600x92) Image search: [Google]
rt.png
63 KB, 600x92
>>56152280
>>56152100
>>
>>56145606
If you're interested in complex grammar, our language should interest you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faroese_language
>>
>>56152521
Haha how right you were. That IS pretty interesting.
>>
>>56153117
Grammar and pronounciation are the hard parts of the language. Aside from those two, we're a country of 18 islands, most of which have distinct dialects.

This documentary shows people from the Islands of Fugloy, one of the most isolated of the 18 islands.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugloy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWB7TaYPmE4
>>
So anyone interested in talking verb conjugation and grammatical gender?
>>
>>56145606
>3 a's
are you fucking serious
for what purpose
>>
>>56157131
Read the thread
>>
>>56147550
There is absolutely no reason to have a letter that only appears with a diacritic.

Also, list out the sounds of each letter in IPA. If you can't assign a sound to each letter, you have too many letters.
>>
>>56159819
Some languages treat them as separate letters as far as I'm concerned. This happens to be one of those languages.

I can assure you, each letter does in fact have its own distinct sound.
>>
>>56162538
>This happens to be one of those languages.
Then where is C? You seem to have a very naive understanding of orthography.

>I can assure you, each letter does in fact have its own distinct sound.
So post each one.
>>
I' back my friend :^)
Trust me, with those letters you won't reach your goal of making a German-Russian mix
>>
>>56162965
It really doesn't matter what letters he uses, although I will repeat that it's incredibly stupid to leave out plain C but include Ć.

What he should be doing is posting the phonemes.
>>
>>56163003
I know, he's fucking retarded, just let him do his shit language
>>
>>56163035
But we could help him.
>>
File: 1457594243905-1180285549.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1457594243905-1180285549.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>56163003
>>56162586
Sorry, but this is how I had to do it.
>>
>>56145606
So, here is some basic sentences I have made for my language
1. (Fijné) sav sofonhtabakulijit.
(Fijné(Third person)) sav(to go) sofon(public place)-h(locative)-tabak-uli(to smoke)-ji(substantiator)-t(negation).
They are going to ban Smoking in public places
2. Savne bank?
Sav(to go)-ne(method) bank?
How to get to the Bank?
3. Sav hehdonji.
Sav(to go) heh(fish)-don(to fish)-ji(substantiator)
I'm going to fish
>>
>>56163243
Excellent!
Now, can you give a good reason why the C needs a diacritic? The Italians get along just fine without it. You insist that "C is obsolete" which is frankly an insane and stupid thing to say.

You'll also have to describe the grammar. Start with the basics.
What is the word order?
Is it inflecting or non-inflecting?
Is it fusional, synthetic, or isolating?
Does it have gender?
Does it have number?
Does it have person?
>>
>>56163243
Oh and I just noticed you didn't include a sound for R. I'm guessing it's a tap, as in Spanish?
>>
>>56163305
The reason I use Č instead of C is because the letter Ч is the sound that I want, but I don't want to mix cryllic and Latin letters so ć is the best choice.
It's called 'che' and is a single letter as opposed to CH or TSH.
C alone sounds like a K or an S

You'll have to excuse me for not knowing all the proper terms for the sentence structure.

"I am speaking with my friends" would turn into something more like
"I am, with my friends, speaking."

Adjectives come after the noun (which is always capitalised) so
"The red balloon" becomes "the balloon red." To make better sense of it, I like to think of it as "the balloon (that/which) is red"

Verbs are conjugated by tense, getting a suffix appended for future and past tenses. So far that's all I've done with that aspect.
All animate objects will be referred to as masculine or feminine accordingly while inanimate objects have a neutral pronoun. If the gender of the person/animal/etc. Is unknown, then there is also an animate neutral pronoun to be used.

>>56163321
Oh I completely forgot to come back to that. No, the singular r is meant to be a gutteral sound, like the r found in German. Couldn't find the icon for it
>>
>>56163593
I meant ć. Sorry
>>
>>56163593
Will there be irregular conjugation/declension patterns or will it be an autistic shitfest like Esperanto?
>>
hello is this the autism general, my sister recently got diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) i was wondering what can i do to help her
>>
>>56163750
Yes, certain words will conjugate differently depending one one factor or another. I'll just have to work on it a bit.
>>
>>56149825
Wulluna = Wallonia
Napuli = Napoli
Primerto = main, or mainland, or home
nurt primerto teraz = North home plate
>>
>>56163305
>>56163593
It does have person and number as well
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.