[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving to NYC.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: newyork.jpg (302 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
newyork.jpg
302 KB, 1200x800
Moving to New York City next month.

What should I expect?

Is it hard to find a job there?
How are Brits generally treated over there?
How are the prices for apartments?
Any general NYC tips?
>>
>>55807282
>What should I expect?
rude yankees
brown people of various nationalities
expensive everything
cold
crowded
smelly
>>
>>55807331
So London.
>>
>>55807342
London is a lot smaller though, 80% of it are just council estates.

I'd love to see skyscrapers.
>>
>>55807282
CHOON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X3hDrlc5I4
>>
>>55807342
All major world cities are the same shit desu
>>
Where are you moving exactly?
>>
>>55807282

>Is it hard to find a job there?
It really depends on your education, etc. You can't get an answer with so little info

>How are the prices for apartments?
If you have enough money to buy something, do it. Try to get something in a gentrifying neighborhood.

If you don't have enough money to buy, at least look for rent control or something. All the middle class areas of NYC (except really far out on the outskirts) vanished at least 10 years ago.
>>
https://youtu.be/14KagOJTGes?t=3m6s
>>

Yeah.

>How are Brits generally treated over there?

Nobody cares.

You can't afford them. 3000 a month would be a steal.

>Any general NYC tips?

Avoid brown people.
>>
>>55807282
Not really, but you might have to string a couple together unless you have an advanced degree
>How are Brits generally treated over there
Nobody gives a fuck about whether you're American or British honestly. Especially because most of the people you see are going to be brown immigrants like >>55807331 said.
Fucking outrageous, I would honestly recommend living in New Jersey and commuting in to NYC by train before living in NYC proper.
>Any general NYC tips?
Avoid Harlem, and Spanish Harlem I guess. Go to Canal Street if you want cheap knockoff luxury goods. Union Square and Central Park are pretty comfy. Look out for homicidal taxi and truck drivers.
>>
>>55807759
>If you have enough money to buy something, do it. Try to get something in a gentrifying neighborhood.
>If you don't have enough money to buy, at least look for rent control or something. All the middle class areas of NYC (except really far out on the outskirts) vanished at least 10 years ago.
You are a retard and you have literally never set foot in NYC, let alone be old enough to rent something on your own.
>>
>>55807282
New Yorker who lives in the Hudson Valley
>Job
Depends on your standards
>Brits
Nobody gives a shit
Some dumb rich bitch girls from Manhattan might go ga-ga over your accent though
>apartment prices
Really high
>General NYC tips
Bring a noose, NYC's gun laws are almost as strict as Britian (NY's aren't bad beyond """"assault"""" rifles) so unless you want to use a nugget to blow your brains out, you are out of luck.
>>
>>55807282
Just move to OC
>>
>>55807282
Brits get murdered just for their accents 2bh
I would strongly reconsider
>>
>>55807282
Do you not have a job lined up already?
If you're from Southern England expect to get laid 24/7. If you're from Northern England, expect to get laid 12/7.
About the same as your average English town.
>Any general NYC tips?
Don't ever go to East New York or Brownsville. People are trying to gentrify it, but it won't happen. Don't be lured by the cheap prices, those neighborhoods are where New York's human garbage gets dumped. I grew up in Harlem, where people have gotten shout outside my flat, and I feel much, much, safer there than I do in either of those neighborhoods. Honestly, since you have an accent, I'd probably just avoid bad neighborhoods in general, just to be on the safe side.
>>
>>55808617
>12/7
Kek
Honestly considering the caliber of girls he could probably still get laid 24/7 with a North English accent.
>>
>>55808513
Yeah I forgot the IRA still operates there. Also learn to take "fucking Redcoat faggot" and "Tory bastard" in stride, or you'll never make it there. Because if you can't make it there, you can't make it anywhere. I forget who said that.
>>

Wait, you don't already have a job lined up?
>>
>>55807282
Learn the subway system on your first day. Avoid dundu nuffins.
This should help http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/index.html
>>
>>55808175

I live here, retard. Nothing I said was even close to wrong.
>>
Overwhelming bad advice in this thread OP, I'd take most of it with a grain of salt.

Maybe 1/10
>>
I'm interested in this thread because my gf is constantly nagging about she wants to visit NY someday and when are we going to visit and all that.
I just try to convince her that it will be totally like fucking Paris
>>
>>55809488
Nah. Everyone has a romanticized image of Paris, everyone knows New York is gritty.
>>
>>55809547
>she watched Sex and the City so many times ...
>>
File: 5th Avenue.jpg (149 KB, 1365x666) Image search: [Google]
5th Avenue.jpg
149 KB, 1365x666
>>55809604
Is that her only view of New York?
>>
>>55809547
No people romanticize it unless they live near it
>>
>>55809731
oh fuck I'm seek just seeing that pic. it is worst than Paris.
to your question: she knows is nothing like the show but she doesn't care. she wants to go anyway. I'm fucked
>>
>>55807371
lol no if anything it's the other way around. That's why Manhattan is so "big" because they're all so packed in. Everything is much closer together than London tho and it definitely does feel bigger.

>>55808513
>>55808767
lol no. Dirty looks off ""Irish"" occasionally but who cares. Accent is a big bonus.

t. lived in NYC now live in LDN.
>>
>>55809898
It kind of is in some ways, man. The world is a bit more complex than one dimensional vast generalizations. It's not just A or B

A quiet morning on the UWS would make you feel like you just got off the set for Sex in the City.
>>
>>55809916
sprawl isn't an admirable quality
>>
>>55809898
London, Paris and NY are much more similar in many respects than they are different. NYC is the cheapest of the lot though and defo the 'odd one out' well worth a visit. Some world class things to see and do, plus it's so iconic.

>>55810047
did I say it was? Was just pointing out that Londons bigger than NYC tbqh. Think they're fairly similar population wise, NYC might be 10-20% bigger or something.
>>
File: 432_park_avenue.jpg (171 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
432_park_avenue.jpg
171 KB, 1600x1600
>>55810130
New York is cheaper taking averages into consideration (especially alcohol and food), but on the higher end, NY also has the most expensive real estate in the world.
>>
>>55807282
that totally depends on your qualifications

literally just like an american but girls will like your accent

similar to london

>Any general NYC tips?
youre in nyc, dont go into bad neighborhoods this isnt europe
>>
Everything in Manhattan is expensive even a 100k salary isn't enough.
>>
>>55810463
>similar to london
Not at all
>>55810490
You can comfortably live in midtown as a single person on $70K a year.
>>
>>55810555
you will be spending over half of your monthly salary alone

send links demonstrating cheap apartments in midtown manhattan
>>
File: Rafael_Vinoly.png (149 KB, 293x375) Image search: [Google]
Rafael_Vinoly.png
149 KB, 293x375
>>55810279
>432 Park Avenue

God I hate that building. So much. And to make matters worse, they tore down the Drake to make room for it.

Look at the fucker who designed it. He's literally fucking making the smug pepe gesture. He KNOWS he designs shit. Fucking sudacas. They have no concept of taste.
>>
>>55810555
they are though. If you compared Manhattan to Zone 1 & the nicer areas of Brooklyn etc to the nicer areas of Zone 2, they are very similar.

RE 70k for 'comfortable living' depends on your lifestyle mate. I know people that earn twice that who share a flat in Manhattan.
>>
>>55810631
>you will be spending over half of your monthly salary alone
Yeah, and? I'm not going to spend more than $2500 a month anyways, don't really see the point in giving me more than that to spend.

>>55810673
City center, yeah, but anything within the greenbelt outside of that is absolutely fucked and many times more than what a similar place at a similar distance would cost here.
>>
>>55810827
we have a lot less land over here :) my parents just sold around 1/3 of an acre of land (I think you guys use that measurement, too?) for half a million pounds... 40 miles from London. Shits cray.
>>
File: 1456255428964.jpg (354 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1456255428964.jpg
354 KB, 1024x683
There are literally thousands of apartments for rent for under 2k in Manhattan, let alone Queens or Brooklyn. There is a Manhattan outside of Midtown ya know.

Lol how the fuck did you get a visa without having a job offer yet? If you haven't gotten a visa yet and just think you can plop yourself down in America, think again. This isn't the EU. As for finding the job it won't be easy. You be competing with thousands, hell even millions of people trying ti migrate there and find work. If you don't have a useful degree than just move to London or something.
Like most people? This isn't flyover country so most people won't care about your nationality because there are thousands of brits living in NYC and even more british tourists. If anything some of the other brown immigrants or locals might be a bit hostile but nothing too much. Don't expect to use your accent here to get laid too much, most women here don't car about it.
As I stated above people always overblow it by a lot. Use Apartments.com. Remember there are 4 boroughs outside of Manhattan. Brooklyn and Queens are fairly nice nowadays (at least most parts.)
>Any general NYC tips?
Not really? Just enjoy it while you can and don't go past 96th st after 10pm
>>
>>55810490

My three bedroom apartment in the Lower East side would have to disagree with you senpai.
>>
>>55807282
I hope you get crashed into by some allahu snackbars in a plane
>>
>>55813137
>There are literally thousands of apartments for rent for under 2k

prove it
>>
File: 200_s.gif (34 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
34 KB, 267x200
>>55809488
NYC is way fucking cooler tbqh

>>55809731
>at Christmas time

well no shit it's packed during Christmas near the fucking Rockefeller Center that has the Christmas tree, it's not like it looks like your image every day either. I was there in December last year and that was the only part in Manhattan that was that busy
>>
>>55807282

What type of visa do you have?
>>
>>55809898
Shut up ur a gay
>>
>>55807282
Dude, don't come here... It sucks!! If you are going to move here you should visit first as a tourist and see if you like it.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.