[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear Americans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: John-Wick-7.png (419 KB, 680x344) Image search: [Google]
John-Wick-7.png
419 KB, 680x344
What is it like to live in a gun-society? Is it cool like you see in American action movies? Do you kill evil people by powerful firearms and realize the justice? Do guns give influence to minds of American individuals? Do ruling people fear the ordinary people because you people are armed?(Do they expect that you would cause armed uprising if they treat you badly?)
>>
The average american doesn't own a gun.
>>
>>55672025
A good bit do, though.
>>
That's what gun owners think but everyone else just thinks they're paranoid racist trailer trash.
>>
It's a bit comforting to be honest
>>
Pretty tame where I am at. I own a couple like most of the state does, around here it's about as convenient as getting a battery for your car as long as it doesn't require a federal license.

Funny thing about it is once you buy one or two you find yourself buying more. I keep thinking "I should get a shotgun, or a bolt action rifle. You know, since I got my cc permit I should get a compact pistol too" and lately I am thinking of joining the club at the range out of town so I can use the 100 and 200 yard fields to peg targets. And then there's thinking about hunting season next year since bagging a deer would be a lot of good meat for winter.
>>
>>55672025

There are 350 million guns in America.

There are 320 million Americans.
>>
>>55672878
It's not distributed evenly at all.
>>
>>55672665

While I'm at it, I should also note that the gun culture really ties into the old heartland 'boyscout' culture from decades ago. For example, the ruger 10/22 rifle is a cheap rifle shooting a small, still pretty cheap cartridge. EVERYONE around here has a 10/22 because that' where we all first learned to shoot. Around here most people learned to shoot before they got their first bike. That boy scouts series of lessons on self reliance and learning the land is heavily ingrained into the culture of the state.
>>
>>55672971
I learned how to shoot with .308
>>
I'm not really proud of it. I'm personally scared of going outside because I'm scared that someone will jump out of nowhere and shoot me, and I'd have nothing to defend myself with.
>>
>>55672137
Do you mean you feel secure by owning a gun or living in a society where you are allowed to defend yourself by deadly force?

>>55672665
>Funny thing about it is once you buy one or two you find yourself buying more. I keep thinking "I should get a shotgun, or a bolt action rifle. You know, since I got my cc permit I should get a compact pistol too"
This is like when I bought a fountain pen or a wrist watch.
>>
>>55672665
living the dream
>>
File: 1433004618523.gif (101 KB, 800x473) Image search: [Google]
1433004618523.gif
101 KB, 800x473
baba yaga!
>>
>>55673055

Personally I learned on handguns before rifles or shotguns
>>
>>55673104

It can be like buying a pen or watch, it's almost comical the way you can find yourself complaining about how there's so many guns, so little time.
>>
>>55673101
This is how majority of my fellow people imagine of America when they are not watching cool American movies.
>>
File: 1451330738094.jpg (63 KB, 397x402) Image search: [Google]
1451330738094.jpg
63 KB, 397x402
>>55672665
this tbqh
I shoot on my land, and so do others around here.
It's not unusual to hear gunfire in the distance.
>mfw my sister visits from the city and she looks visibly uncomfortable as people shoot in the distance

>inb4 I get shot myself
>>
Due to the Obama gun grab scare I went and got a shotgun and an AKM. Just to have them really. I'm not into shooting and I don't hunt. Before that I never really touched a gun. Not to mention I live in California one of the strictest gun states. I'm more likely to use my aluminum bat for self-defense than my gun.
>>
>>55673444

I have a friend who knows a guy with farmland for us to shoot on, thinking of going there tomorrow to zero my ar-15. Is it me or does it feel weird using magpul rear sight with an a2 front post?
>>
>>55672025
1/3rd of Americans do. Sorry.
>>
>>55672878
True, but the average American still doesn't own a gun. Many (maybe even most) individual gun owners own many guns.
>>
>>55674352
>33% is most of the population
>>
>>55672971

10/22 isn't the only gun that is extremely popular around here either. There are four or 5 other guns that are that way too. If I can think of something more popular than the 10/22 it's the Remington 870. There is a plethora of hunters in this state for pheasant season and deer season. The 870 is probably in more households than any other gun.

Others would be bolt action rifles, usualy in 30-06 than other calibers, 1911 or glock handguns, and ar15's. those are the ones you see on this side of the state. On the other side you see more 'cowboy' era guns. Lever action rifles, in various hard hitting calibers. Single action revolvers, same thing with calibers. Lotta revolvers actually, and double barrel shotguns and some ar15's too to keep up with the times or whatever shit.
>>
>>55673104
I have three guns. They're just tools, but tools for a specific situation. They permit me to preserve my life and property.

People complain about "gun violence", but "gun violence" is a meme. More people die in car accidents, accidental poisonings, drownings, etc. Actual gun homicides are ~7000 a year. Of that ~7000, 70%-80% will take place in just six major metropolitan areas. Majority of Americans live outside of those cities. Ergo, the probability of needing to use a gun is actually quite low. But it's there if you do.

Non-Americans complain about American gun culture, but the fact of the matter is their societies do not mirror ours at all, and they don't have 5% of the population committing 55% of the crime. Guns are a deterrent to the downsides of "diversity". And there are a lot of downsides.

If you don't have that deterrent, you wind up like Germany, Sweden, France, or the UK, with compounding levels of violence, high numbers of victims, and a state with a monopoly on violence that becomes increasingly belligerent or indifferent to the suffering of its people.
>>
>>55673444
It seems how people deal with guns in city is different from countryside and vice versa.

>>55673783
I also have a wooden baseball bat that I bought for self-defense. But it seems my fists were enough to protect myself.

>>55672971
>That boy scouts series of lessons on self reliance and learning the land is heavily ingrained into the culture of the state.
This is one of what I admire about American culture. Americans choose to move by cars rather than mass transportation systems for the same reason I guess.
>>
>>55674396
83 million people are underage and not able to own guns.
There's 98 million gun owners.
Subtract illegals and felons, and you approach half the population legally permitted to and currently engaged in gun ownership.

The "average American" you speak of isn't you.
>>
>>55674698

>This is one of what I admire about American culture

Yeah, I enjoy it personally. I know that Japan can get pretty heavy with the whole "unite unite, belong belong" stuff.

It comes with faults though, people buying big ass suv's and trucks for no other reason than to clog the roads, teenagers putting stupid low tier racing shit and spoilers on their pontiacs, but you take the good with the bad.
>>
I remember I was vehemently anti gun until my dad defended me and my family from an attack once with his in DC, I started going to the range with him after that, learning how to safely take care of them, clean them and properly use them. I'm glad that our government for the most part trusts its citizens to use them appropriately
>>
>>55671958
Guns aren'ta part of just american culture. Here we have ongoing military conscription that's mandatory for all males aged 18 to 28, and a fair part of the reserves choose to buy their own guns to keep their skills sharp.
>>
>>55674695
My country is filled with belligerence against people from other countries and indifference to the suffering of the fellow people, even though Japan doesn't allow both self-defense by guns and immigration from other countries. And these are increasing. You implied the diversity would bring the downsides. But we already have these I think.

>>55675205
>I know that Japan can get pretty heavy with the whole "unite unite, belong belong" stuff.
Yes that's right. Some say Japan's high suicide rate and the increase of neet population is the sabotage in very passive way against the forced unification.

>>55675273
It's good for you that you and your family weren't harmed.
> I'm glad that our government for the most part trusts its citizens to use them appropriately
It's vital for the freedom and democracy that the government trusts the citizens, isn't it?
>>
File: 338-squidward-doesnt-care.jpg (20 KB, 361x330) Image search: [Google]
338-squidward-doesnt-care.jpg
20 KB, 361x330
>>55671958
>What is it like to live in a gun-society?
Shit
>Is it cool like you see in American action movies?
No
>Do you kill evil people by powerful firearms and realize the justice?
No
> Do guns give influence to minds of American individuals?
Yes
>Do ruling people fear the ordinary people because you people are armed?
Yes
>Do they expect that you would cause armed uprising if they treat you badly?
Maybe, it wouldn't matter
>>
>>55674352
Would you mind providing a source?
>>
>>55676738

>Neet and high suicide rate

Honestly I was wondering if there was a connection to the unification. I have a couple of friends who are what we say 'on the outside looking in' of Japanese culture. Weaboos in truth, obsessed with Japanese culture. Considering I'm a shred Japanese I like to rub it in their face that I got something they will never have. Maybe I'm a bastard to be honest.
>>
File: Consider the following.jpg (23 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
Consider the following.jpg
23 KB, 569x428
>>55671958
>Do you kill evil people by powerful firearms and realize the justice?
Yes often. It is in the news whenever it happens
Here are some recent examples
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/02/26/kansas-gunman-kills-3-injures-14-before-being-fatally-shot-by-police-in-workplace-rampage/
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/officials-investigating-mans-claim-he-shot-4-people-in-belfair/
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kalamazoo-shootings-6-dead-3-wounded-after-random-shootings-michigan-n522946
These all happened this week
>>
>>55677135

Hmm, making me think.
>>
>>55674695

>something else is worse therefore this is okay
>>
>>55677034
It's alright to share knowledge with other people. If they still keep loving Japanese culture even after knowing the negative aspects of it, they are true Japanophiles
>>
>>55677827
People aren't deathly afraid of driving, you accept that there are many things that can happen that are out of your control.

The same idea applies to allowing people to own firearms. You can minimize fatalities, but not remove them altogether.
>>
I personally have around 20 guns. I shoot American trap and international bunker competitively. City people tend to be more scared of guns than country people. Most people in America outside of liberal areas have used or at least seems a guns before. And literally everyone knows someone who has some. It's kind of comforting knowing that I have the ability to defend myself if the need arises
>>
>>55671958
There's something special going with your father to buy your first gun, got mine when I was eight. Good gun safety teaches responsibility and is a building block of becoming a man. What>>55674695 said was true in the fact that a gun is nothing more than a tool for the preservation of life and it's important to own one if you live in a "risky area" (ghetto) as that's where most crime happens.
>>
>>55671958
I own 5 guns (really 7 but I have 2 loaned out to family), and i've honestly never really considered using them for self-defense. I don't carry, I just shoot with them at ranges and at friend's land. I mean I guess I would if the situation came up, but it's not the reason I own them.
>>
File: pchunting.jpg (73 KB, 575x600) Image search: [Google]
pchunting.jpg
73 KB, 575x600
As somebody who is around them all the time, I can tell you that the way almost all news and politicians (even the pro-gun people) are inaccurate. Through experience, there are around 3 main groups of people that make up gun owners:
>Hobbyists
Owns multiple guns, takes them out and shoots them for fun or hunts, puts a huge stress on gun safety. I'd say this is the majority of gun owners.
>Casual Owners
People who bought a firearm for protection or inherited one, but not really that into them, doesn't shoot/hunt often or at all.
>Hillbillies/Showoffs/Criminals
Grouping them all in one category because their logic and dedication to safety is the same. Owns guns to show off and/or intimidate, doesn't know much about them, doesn't care about safety.

The news/politicians definitely like to sensationalize and make it seem like firearms as a whole are leading to the downfall of American society, but they're not really, they're just used often in violent crime and thus create a bubble of fear around those who only see them in that context (like big cities) or don't see them at all.
>>
>>55671958
it's. AMAZING
>>
Thank you very much for all your replies, America. They are much appreciated.
>>
>>55681734
make sure to translate the comments accurately for your blog
>>
>>55671958

I'm slowly beginning to understand how fucked up these mass shootings are. I mean we're all just completely desensitized to it right now. People's names flash up on a screen, you see people crying, and then it goes away. Everybody will forget them the next day except for a few friends and loved ones and life will go on.

There is literally no solution except to ban guns for everyone. The recent shooter in Kansas got an AK from his girlfriend even though he had a criminal record. But they're not going to get banned. So you just kinda have to accept the idea that this is going to continue to happen and probably get worse before it gets better.
>>
>>55682041
ban all niggers back to africa
>>
>>55672878
I know 1 person who owns like 12 and another who owns like 17 or something.
>>
I moved from the state with the strictest gun laws in America (New Jersey) to Texas. People think that Texas has the loosest gun laws, but actually it might be New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, or Wyoming or some other Western state. I think it makes sense to have higher gun laws in more densely populated areas, where you know police will show up in a reasonable amount of time, but out here in some parts of Texas, you could wait an hour before the police arrive, and that's just not soon enough. No fault to the police, they can't be everywhere.
>>
I live in NY. We're not allowed to have guns. Nor tasers or even fucking pepper spray for that matter.
>>
>>55682404
>tfw I only own 2
But soon I'm getting 2 more, so I'm slowly getting there!
>>
>>55682574
>People think that Texas has the loosest gun laws, but actually it might be New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, or Wyoming or some other Western state.
Alaska.
>>
>>55682575
NYC or Upstate?
>>
>>55671958
>What is it like to live in a gun-society?
Ngl it's pretty fucking great.
>>
>>55681838
I have no intention to translate or copy and past this thread. I don't own a translation blog in the first place. I came up with these questions while watching combat scenes of John Wick in YouTube.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.