[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is your native language mutually intelligible with another language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2
File: Art.png (13 KB, 522x428) Image search: [Google]
Art.png
13 KB, 522x428
Is your native language mutually intelligible with another language? Some people say English is with Scots, but Scots is basically just English with ridiculous spelling.
>>
I can understand a little bit of Portuguese and Scottish as well.
>>
>>53138944
no
>>
Afrikaans is a daughter language of Dutch, so we understand each other. They use the stem-form of words for everything and use less words and letters. Pretty much everything they say is a shorter version of the Dutch word.
Luxembourgish is one step away, as it's between German and Dutch.
German just takes some getting used to. If you know the differences in pronunciation then it's quite understandable. Because the differences and similarities are pretty clear across the board.

Dutch is like a very archaic form of English and we use a difference sentence structure and we often use dated words so we don't get each other easily.

The languages within the Netherlands are a bit hit and miss.
>>
>>53138944
Portuguese and Italian are pretty easy to understand, especially once you undertand some differences in pronunciation.
>>
I understand maltese
>>
>>53139295
Nee dank je. Ik zit vol. Maar ik lust wel een ijsje.
Nay thank ye. I sit full. But I lust well an icey.
No thanks. I'm full. But I would like some icecream.

It's complete gibberish to the English speaker, despite that it might sound familiar.
>>
No.
>>
>>53139874
interesting, actually. thanks!
>>
English is a gay version of french
>>
Although there is mutual intelligibility between the Scandinavian countries, us Norwegians are the ones who comprehend both Swedish and Danish the best out of the three countries.

Swedes and Danes have big troubles understanding each other.

I understand Icelandic and Faroese to a certain extent, but this is because of my dialect, which is closer to those languages.
>>
>>53140170
>Swedes and Danes have big troubles understanding each other.

I understand (a bit) polish's texts, but speech is too fast.
>>
>>53139972
If you translate the English one to Dutch again you get something entirely different again.
Because the Dutch word for like for example is only used for comparisons. And would is past tense. And what is the cream of ice?
>>
Waj anglos jus so vird rulz to wrajt þeir vords? Þis is better bicos it transfoms þe lengvidž to môr german lókiñ.
>>
>>53139295
>The languages within the Netherlands are a bit hit and miss.
Wa ze'j daor oaver mien taole, völe holanner? Ie n u dikk bmws mun kien of onse lan.
>>
>>53140392
This, I find this way more pleasing too look at.
>>
With Lusatian (Sorbian) languages.

>Lower Sorbian
Pólska źěli se na wójewódstwa, kótarež źěle se na powiaty
>Polish
Polska dzieli się na województwa, które dzielą się na powiaty

>Upper Sorbian
Poza tymi podstawowymi dialektami eksistuja tež měšane dialekty
>Polish
Poza tymi podstawowymi dialektami istnieją też dialekty mieszane
>>
Yes, in fact Brazilian has a lot of mutual intelligibility with a lot of languages.

Galician, Spanish, Portuñol, Asturian, Valencian, Angolese, Mozambican, Portuguese, Fala, Leonese, Extremaduran, Cape Verdian, Mirandese, Aragonese, Provençal, Platense, Papiamento, Maracucho, Ribereño, Murcian, Macaronic, Cafundó, Kalunga, Cantabrian, Caló and Judaeo-Portuguese.
>>
>>53140392
>>53140449
Orthographic languages are shit, way to ruin a language.
>>
>>53140526
>Papiamento
SO YOU BE SAYIN DHEY WUZ KANGZ N SHAT?
>>
>>53140526
This has to be exaggerated.
>>
>>53140605
Most of those are either Portuguese dialects or Portuguese based creoles.
>>
>>53140605
I didn't even wrote the dialects ;^)
>>
I can understand English if I concentrate real hard.
>>
>>53140551
This.

>>53140747
A lot of them are nearly-extinct dialects of Spanish though :^)

>>53138944
No. Closest non-meme languages would be Catalan and Italian which I can mostly read but I wouldn't be able to hold a conversation.
>>
>>53139073

What about Estonian?
>>
>>53141202
it's as far from Finnish as English is from Dutch.
>>
>>53141351
I didn't get that impression, I thought it was more like Frisian and English due to the amount of cognates between Finnish and Estonian.
>>
File: m9XtjTteUO0.jpg (166 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
m9XtjTteUO0.jpg
166 KB, 720x960
Yes, we can understand Urukhai language
>>
Portuguese and Italian can be easily understood.
Written simple French can be understood.
Having a very low level of german I can sort of know what is written on dutch.
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNqvzyBh2XY

it sounds for me like a weird and very brutal russian dialect
>>
>>53138944
>that list

wew lad
>>
>>53138944
Du kin na spik da lallans? Da buerla nae kin hae yin leid wi lallans, thie is muckle differed, wie mony kins o' wie tae gang at a' o' tha hings that mak leids differed.

^ this is my scots dialect - go on, tell me that is english, i dare you
>>
>>53141435
Spoken Estonian is mostly unintelligible with Finnish, you can have a clue about the subject but that's it.
>>
>>53141663
The same with English and Frisian.
>>
>>53141622
>differed
>>
>>53140526
But that's ridiculous man, you can't just list every country with Portuguese as an official language and pretend it's something actually different. Can you seriously imagine an American coming to you and saying he's not monolingual after all because he knows Texan, Irish English, Scots, Australian English, Indian English, Scouser, Cockney, and so on?

I understand Galician or Spanish are different entities for exampe, but counting Portuguese, Angolese, Brazilian and Mozambican as separate things is absurd...
>>
>>53141622
>lallans
It always takes me off guard that in the Netherlands, all people speaking Low Saxon, Frisian and Limbourgish also call their languages "plat" or "flatlandish".
>>
>>53141824
It was a joke but it's not quite like that.
Mozambican and Angolan can be considered dialects because many words come from their other ethnic languages. You don't see that in English.
Much like of what Haitian Creole is to French.
>>
>>53141765
is a form of different?

Jeg ved, hvordan manden, du snakker om, ser ud.
Jeg vet hvordan mannen du snakker om, ser ut.

Nice """"""""""language""""""""""" norgay
>>
Nothing comes close to hungarian as far as I know.
>>
>>53142275
átok
>>
>>53142107
It's still not another language m8. Nigerian English has a lot, and I mean really a lot of words from languages like Hausa and Igbo, and it's just English with a local pronounciation and some other vocabulary. It's not a different language or dialect, at all.
>>
>>53142177
Comparing written Danish and Norwegian is not actually useful.

The pronunciations are very different.
>>
>>53138944
>anime ranking above western animation and even videogames, not below

That imagen triggers me
>>
>>53142426
Not below as it should be
>>
>>53142426
It's made by an average chanfag m8. People here call cartoons like Adventure Time Reddit but at the same time jerk off to Moe anime and traps.
>>
>>53142366
Define language then.
>>
>>53142366
>>53142107
>>It was a joke
>>
>>53142525
A dialect with a country and an army.
The mentioned variants aren't dialects.

>>53142590
you shouldn't be comedian tbqh
>>
>>53142366
Reminder that "Flemish" (Including Brabantian and French Flemish) is more like Hollandic Dutch then Low Saxon, Frisian or Ripuarian Limbourgish.
>>
>>53142604
That's not a real definition of linguistic value.
>>
>>53142708
>That's not a real definition of linguistic value.
>implying there's a definition that satisfies linguistics in need of distinguishing between languages and dialects
>>
>>53141622
Fuck me man, how far North are ye?
>>
>>53141622
It's not English no, it's just gibberish.
>>
>>53145942
It's no gibberish if other people can understand it x
>>
>>53146996
I stuck some of the words into a Scots dictionary and they didn't make sense in the context.
>>
>>53138944
we are alone
>>
We all understand Croatian, but this is largely because literally the entire country vacations in Croatia and Slovenian kids are taught basic Croatian by their parents for them to be able to buy ice cream for themselves over the holidays.
>>
>>53141622
Ignore this special snowflake. I am also Scottish and I can tell you safely nobody below the age of 80 speaks like this.
>>
>>53142275
I heard you could understand Mansi occasionally.
>>
>>53138944
With italian/spanish/portuguese (romanian)
>>
Beyond the various Langues d'Oïl and maybe Occitan-based dialects, the easiest to understand is Italian.

Before I learned to speak it, I could still read the jist of any text in Italian, and understand part of oral conversations & communicate a bit.

Spanish is pretty readable, but rather hard to understand when spoken, if you aren't used to it.

Portuguese is kinda readable, impossible to listen to. I don't understand jackshit of Romanian..

English is obviously rather easy to understand when reading, even if you know nothing of it, because of all the shared vocabulary. It's especially prevalent in very technical vocabulary, however, so simpler texts generally have more Germanic-based words, and will be harder to understand. We are absolutely fucking shit at understanding spoken English.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.