[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the best way for a poorfag to learn Cantonese? I mention
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
Whats the best way for a poorfag to learn Cantonese? I mention I'm poor because Rosetta Stone costs an arm and a leg and popupcantonese seems like a meh-tastic way to learn.
>>
Bumpuru
>>
>become rich
>use rosetta
>>
monitoring this thread
>>
>Rosetta Stone costs an arm and a leg
Just torrent it if that's the problem.
>>
Actual classes? I assume there's plenty that aren't expensive.
>>
why cantonese? surely mandarin is easier and standardized as well as widespread. Mandarin is spoken by over a billion while cantonese is only spoken by about 80 million
>>
>>53065314
Are you the guy from yesterday? I'm sorry but I don't currently have any information on learning Cantonese but I'll be happy to help. A bit busy currently though. Would you still be here in 3 hours? I'll see if I can find anything on the local forums after I finish my work.
>>
>>53066196
Does it live up to the hype? Like I hear people saying "Oh, I spent 3 years learning conversational chinese and I still don't know it" Or are they just over exaggerating fags?
>>
>>53066226
I'd say that Cantonese is one of the harder languages but you should be able to make conversation with it in an year. Like any moonrune language, it will take longer to learn how to write fluently, and it's very hard to speak without an accent compared to Mandarin since there are nine tones instead of four. It's not impossible though. There's a couple foreign celebrities here who are completely fluent in Cantonese and they're pretty popular.
>>
>>53066196
Was the guy asking about expats in HK yesterday, yea.
Mainly just want to learn as I do hope to visit it fairly often down the road, not move (necessarily).
>>53066147
HK interests me far more than Mainland China
>>
>>53067028
>HK interests me far more than Mainland China
Taiwan is better and nearly all of them are able to speak a dialect of Mandarin. I feel like Hong Kong would get boring after a while, though there are a lot English speakers there.
>>
>>53067341
Most places will get boring after a long time.
I don't know much about Taiwan, but what makes it better (in your opinion)?
>>
>>53066196
Also I may or may not be still on when you get back, but a source or two would still be welcomed!
I'll probably check the thread even after it's been deleted in the morning.
>>
>>53065314
Come north. You'll pick up Cantonese, Urdu and Mandarin in no time. The French won't talk to you, so you don't have to worry about them.
>>
>>53066196
Bumpin for this bro before bed
>>
>>53070285
Thank you. I was still looking through the forums when you bumped the thread. Here are a couple sites people recommend:

cantophilia.com
cantonese90s.blogspot.com
writecantonese8.wordpress.com
http://www.iwillteachyoualanguage.com/resources/cantonese-resource-page/
http://www.fluentin3months.com/cantonese/

I've looked through them and they seem to give pretty good tips. As a 4chins user I hesitate to point out reddit but /r/Cantonese is quite comprehensive.

Do you know anyone who speaks cantonese? If not you're welcome to ask me anything you're unsure of. I hang out at /east asia/ whenever it pops up. I guess /r/HongKong would also be willing to help. Cheers.
>>
>>53070596
Missed one.
http://www.freehongkong.net/learn-cantonese/
>>
>>53065314
Learning Canto is a HUGE waste of time. Most canto speakers can speak Mandarin and Mandarin is spoken in ALL other chinese speaking areas. Mandarin speakers won't understand a word you say if you learn canto

don't be a fucking idiot because you think HK is cool and epic. Learn Mandarin
>>
>>53070779
>he thinks learning certain languages are a waste of time
lmao
>>
>>53070779
Most people learn languages out of interest, rather than for professional purposes. Learning a language you deem useless might be a waste of time for you, but not for other people. Please be respectful.
Currently I'm trying to learn Japanese and Russian simply because I like those countries, even though they're not what you would consider useful languages.
That said, HK people generally prefer speaking English over Mandarin, so you don't actually need to learn any language if you just plan on travelling. Besides, you can always learn Mandarin afterwards, it will be easy since the written form of Cantonese is pretty much the same as Mandarin except for a few select words. I found speaking Mandarin to be a cakewalk, possibly because it had less tones.

>>53066406
*six tones. Apologies for the mistake.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.