[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why European and North American hipsters prefer Buddhism to other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 聖おにいさん_A.jpg (156 KB, 480x358) Image search: [Google]
聖おにいさん_A.jpg
156 KB, 480x358
Why European and North American hipsters prefer Buddhism to other religions?
>>
>>53025041
DUDE PEACE LMAO
>>
>>53025041
because they are faggots
>>
>>53025041
cause just blaze it man
like I got so high one time I saw nirvana dude
everyone should just smoke some weed there would be no more wars man
weed helps me connect to the spirit realm
>>
Because the idea of a personal god fell out of favor with a lot of folk with the cultural religion of the 1960s.

Does shintoism have god/s?
>>
why not confucianism
>>
>>53025337
*cultural revolution.
>>
>>53025359
That's not religion.
It's a philosophy created by master Kǒng zǐ.
>>
>>53025337
Shinto has a gorillion gods, like, 1 for every creek and shit, I think.
>>
>>53025052
>>53025057
>>53025133
>>53025337
>>53025359
>>53025365
>implying Americans are all hipsters
>>
>>53025667
Isn't that the same for Buddhism though? And from what I'm reading Shintoism has much more focus on deities than Buddhism.

I mean, if you guys were suicide bombing in wwll out of a philosophy, you're more fucked up than Muslims.
>>
>>53025961
Buddhism is spiritual, only instead of aiming to know god, the aim is to know yourself. You don't need god/s to get metaphysical. The spiritual part is what makes Buddhism more than a philosophy.
>>
>>53025720
That is only if you interpret kami as god which can be problematic.
>>
>>53025961
buddhism has many gods but Buddha is superior to them.
Shinto has many gods like Buddhism but there is no only one power as a Buddha.
confucianism doesn't has god.
>>
>>53025359
>confucianism
that's shit. SHIT.
>>
>>53025359
cuz confucianism requires devotion to your parents (孝)

Hipsters literally hate their parents, but love their money.
>>
I'm going to try to keep this from becoming an effortpost, but here's the short answer:

Beginning mostly in Modernism, Western culture is very secular, bleak, materialist, nihilist, and is attached to the idea that life is objectively meaningless and there is nothing beyond what can be observed using the scientific method, which I guess is making exception to what we have now given that all other scientific paradigms were made obsolete with new research methods and scientific discoveries. In addition to this, there is a hyper-materialism in Western culture that has been extremely amplified by shit like instagram, putting pressure on regular people to buy the newest shit and try to live decadent instagram lives that they can't afford and that nobody enjoys.

People turn to New Age shit and Eastern religions as a reaction to the aforementioned aspects of Western culture. It's been happening since a few decades after Industrial Revolution, and the movement's exploded recently. Buddhism to these people represents ~real spirituality~ in a manner that is both secular and non-Western enough to make them feel comfy. It also allows people to act as depraved and shitty as usual because their idea of Buddhism allows them to be a POS so long as they practice mindfulness or whatever. It's the ultimate Western religion because the schools imported to the white West allow you to be as horrible as you want while also practicing self-righteousness because other white Buddhists won't judge you and you will think you're superior to everyone else for practicing ~Eastern spirituality~.
>>
>>53025359
>practicing Confucianism in a non Confucian society
Why?
>>
>>53025041
because it doesn't require belief in a god and the principles are good

christianity is literally no better than islam, all abrahamic religion needs to end
>>
>>53025359
Because it's a culture, a philosophical way of life, not a mystical mumbo jumbo religion. Hippies already had their counter-culture, they wouldn't convert to a conservative and authoritarian way of life..
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.