[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Americans pronounce the letter t the same as d? For example
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: questionsfrog.jpg (84 KB, 640x560) Image search: [Google]
questionsfrog.jpg
84 KB, 640x560
Why do Americans pronounce the letter t the same as d? For example they say water like 'wodda'
>>
Gread Briddan :DDD
>>
>>52958631
If you grow up listening to American English you can tell the difference between our t's and d's.
>wodda
The fuck are you talking about? It's you who pronounce "er" like "a"
>>
>>52958738
Listen to this m8

http://howjsay.com/index.php?word=water&submit=Submit
>>
>>52958631
Because we distinct accents from those in the UK.
>>
because the people that originally started the t-d transition weren't brits or brit derivatives

they were foreigners like dutch or some other thing
>>
But we don't. It's obvious, too.
>>
>>52958631
We don't its just a word-to word thing, and varies between accents. Also we say wader not wodda, unless you are a subhuman from north jersey.
>>
>>52958799
That literally just proved what I said... I don't get your point
>>
>>52958631

I don't know. I really don't know.
>>
Horrible, you can't tell if they are saying "medal" or "metal", or "ladder" and "latter"
>>
Why do British people pronounce the t as a ć? When a Brit says right, he says it as roić.
>>
>>52958631
>wodda
Do you talk to a lot of people from Boston or something? I figured that's more how Australians say it too.
>>
>>52958631

not true

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0TCt3Rxjoos
>>
tbf I didn't know what rhotic and non-rhotic meant until very recently, I didn't notice that most English accents didn't use the r, it's actually very difficult to tell unless it's a working class accent.
>>
Sissy britcucks talk they have big black dicks in their mouths 2bh
>>
>>52958631
Hard Ts really fuck up the "flow" of the speech
>>
>>52959159

You sound cute desu
>>
>>52959231
wew
>>
>>52958631

USA: Wader
UK: Warta, Wahtur, et al
>>
>>52959449
>Warta
>>
>American water
that sounds waRer for me.
>>
>>52958911
We had influence?
>>
>>52959745

true

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1g7PJLxvdt4
>>
>>52959955
please record leRRle(little). the T always sound R
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.