[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm in Tokyo Japan for New Years and the average Jap's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
I'm in Tokyo Japan for New Years and the average Jap's English level here is terrible.

Even in the Starbucks in shibuya the cashiers can't speak any English. Not even a word. C'mon Japan, even subhuman Filipinos can speak better English than you.

Why is Japan's English so terrible?
>>
you are the reason japan proxies shitpost about banning tourists
>>
File: 11355-lhcelmo081.jpg (21 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
11355-lhcelmo081.jpg
21 KB, 500x281
2nd for mana ashida
>>
how bout you go try learn an east asian language static syllable-based language
>>
because foreigners are not meant to visit japan
>>
because japs hate foreigners and don't want to interact with them
>>
>>52942289
because English is useless there

heck, even where I live English is pretty useless, and as such there's a fuckton of people who don't speak it, and even those who "speak" it are terrible at it.
>>
>>52942289
Because Japs hate Amerifat tourists and if you continue doing that I won't be surprised if you got shot by some japanese yakuza
>>
>>52942531
How come english is so useful here though?

Everyone knows english in the nordics, except old finns who didn't study it in school.
>>
>>52942289
>Going abroad to a vastly different place than where you are from
>Expecting them to speak your language
You are as bad as the muslims that go to europe and expect the qu'ran to be taught in school and for sharia to be the governing legislature
>>
>>52942664
As ugly as English is, it's still a lignua franca.
A homunculus of languages, made for maximum communication, even if the rules are ass.
>>
>>52942664
I dunno, cultural differences I guess. In Nordic countries apparently people view their own languages as "powerless" and view learning English as a necessity to compensate for their linguistic irrelevency. Whereas in francophone parts of the world we tend to be overly proud of our language and view it as ruling supreme, and so whatever it is that you might want to do, you can be almost sure that there'll be ressources for it in French. Even for stuff like scientific litterature, in francophone universities profs have to be careful of how much English-language stuff they impose because otherwise students complain.

Although, if I may ask, how exactly useful is English in nordic cunts? Outside of specific fields such as scientific research, aerospace, etc. (which only cover a minority of the total population), how useful is it in everyday life?
>>
Because even if most of us cannot speak English in Japan, we am not in trouble. And because most of us study to pass for an examination mainly.
>>
>>52942793
this desu.
Why not try speaking japanese for once OP? You'll get to speak english plenty of times when you get back home. Why not use the opportunity to try out a new language? Isn't that the point of travelling in the first place, to experience new things?
>>
>>52942289

We speak perfectly fluent English. We just pretend we can't when assholes like you are around because we would rather not converse with you. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>52942852
It's useful in my everyday life when i use computers.

What else?

I started playing english videogames when i was 6 years old or so. And batman was cool, and batman spoke english.

Of course it's useful.
>>
>>52942289
>even subhuman Filipinos can speak better English than you

No, it's other way around that subhumans speak English as their first language.
>>
>>52943220
don't games and stuff on the internet have Swedish translations though?

Outside of 4chan, Wikipedia, YouTube and a few other sites like that, I pretty much never use English in my everyday life.
>>
>>52943080
Yes. You're fluent because you're an American.
>>
>>52943368
FUCK YOU QUÉBÉCOIS GIB BACK STOLEN OIL MONIES YOU PATHETIC FRENCH LEECHES.
>>
>>52943457
no :^)
>>
>>52943368
I would never try to program in swedish.

Some games do have translations, but most don't. And i like the authentic experience, not some bad translation.

In sweden, american movies are rarely ever dubbed like they are in france for example.

They show them with subtitles.
>>
>>52942289
Because they are so cenyered themselves that disregard learning foreign language
>>
>>52942289
One more reason for jp and int neets to get a job there
>>
>>52942289
learn their language you fag
>>
>>52942289
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9SIVzjZhlk
>>
>>52943502
I guess it's not surprising, I mean worldwide French has 80 million L1 speakers and 220 million speakers (and those numbers are only increasing), whereas Sweden has 9.2 million speakers. So obviously things will be more translated (and better translated) in French than in Swedish.

As for programming, you don't really need to speak English to code. You just need to know a few words like "for", "if", "switch", "private", etc.
>>
File: youcannotJapanese.png (65 KB, 229x173) Image search: [Google]
youcannotJapanese.png
65 KB, 229x173
>>52942289
I know Americans can not learn Japanese like Taiwanese and Europeans, so you guys continue to make a thread like this.
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 600x600
>>52943605
>Seeing French code
>>
File: 1446661263324.jpg (189 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
1446661263324.jpg
189 KB, 1462x1462
>>52943666

>Europoors
>learning Japanese
>>
>>52942289
Just learn basic Japanese. It's not hard you fucking faggot.
>>
>>52942289
Good old average murikkkan... My japanese isn't good, but at least is better than the stupid thing you're doing.
>>
If people in shitholes like my country can learn English, Japs sure as hell can. They just aren't trying. Should've made them learn it well when you occupied them, burger.
>>
>>52943502
If you know what "else", " if" and "or" means, that's enough to program.
>>
>>52942289
>not getting a basic knowledge of a country's language before going there

バカ先輩
>>
>>52943502
>>52943220

This

Though in general we should value our languages more. Language is closely related to culture and the more we use English in our everyday lives, the more we are starting to resemble american satellites and that's not thefuture I would like to see.
>>
>>52943368
They do, most of the sites I visit are translated or Norwegian sites, and I tend to install most programs in Norwegian as well.

> In Nordic countries apparently people view their own languages as "powerless" and view learning English as a necessity to compensate for their linguistic irrelevency.

I've never heard anyone say that ever.
English is a necessity for enjoying media such as movies and vidya, I started playing RS at age 9 and was forced to use english from day one since english more or less is the lingua franca of online communication.
>>
>>52943951
för(i=0; i < 9000;i++) {
om(op ären faggot) {
skriv("Op är en faggot");
}
}
>>
Is it because of the writing system? When I was learning Japanese in my uni (for weeb reasons) they "Japanize" foreign words. "Beer" becomes "biiru", "notes" becomes "nooto" etc.
>>
>>52942289
I've noticed that a lot of Koreans want to speak in an American accent whereas the Japanese prefer the British. Is this true?
>>
>>52943080
Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.
>>
>>52943605
You know, french used to be the thing here.
Our kind is french and we build a castle modeled after Versailles.

The thing is, at some point, french became oldschool, and english became fasionable.

The problem with people who code in their own language is that they use their own language for comments, and use weird charactes in filenames and in other places so it won't even run on, for example, a windows computer without language extensions.

This is somethign you often find in japanese bullshit software.
>>
MY ENGRISH IS PERFECTO
>>
>>52944257
*king
>>
>>52944182
No, Japanese cannot distinguish both of them.
>>
>>52944257
Is speaking really fashionable in Sweden? In my cunt speaking English still implies that you're a snob. I wanna fucking get out of this shithole Muslim country.
>>
>>52944284
>PERFECTO
wow you speak Italian too?? teach me your ways, master of tongues
>>
>>52944182
Koreans and Japs can't speak English well enough to use an accent other than their own.
>>
>>52944257
>The problem with people who code in their own language is that they use their own language for comments, and use weird charactes in filenames and in other places so it won't even run on, for example, a windows computer without language extensions.
yeah I can see that being a problem

I dunno, maybe programmers learn English more. But I think the filename problem wouldn't really be as big a deal in French obviously. Also I'm curious as to the extent to which code is actually ever "transferred" between languages, i.e. if something is programmed in French (with French comments and such), is it really that likely that an English-speaker would ever look at the code? Especially if you're doing "internal" programming for a company or something like that.
>>
>>52944386
I think it's mostly asociated with bussiness really.

And yeah, i would say english is fasionable.

Stores for example, do no longer use "REA" they write "SALE" instead.
>>
>>52944406
It is such an honor to have you say so.
I'm a genius...
>>
>>52944523
>no longer use "REA" they write "SALE" instead.

How will people who don't speak English know that there's a sale?
>>
>>52944447
But it's rarely ever like that, because someone is going to have to maintain your code.

Someone is going to use your apis etc.

Good programmers produce readable code.
>>
>>52944649
Everyone speaks english, except imigrants.
And they don't know swedish either.
>>
>>52944729
What about really old people?
>>
>>52944673
But yeah, if people you work with don't know english, maybe it's not very readable to program in english.
>>
>>52944729
Why do you guys have to be such cucks? You have pure untouched aryan genes there and you let kebabs rape your beautiful women.
>>
>>52944804
Because ITS 2016
>>
>>52944804
Not my choice dude.
Politicans keep spreading lies like "immigration is so proffitable". Just listen to Merkel.

I think, when it comes down to it. It's about white guilt and that people feel like they own the rest of the world something.
>>
>>52944844
Why are Americans so fucking retarded. They always forget the 'u' in colour, honour, valour.
>>
>>52944951
*owe
>>
>>52943324
As much as I think Japanese are the most overrated posters on /int/ this was fucking top tier bants. Excellent post.
>>
>>52944992
Hey Trudeau! Is it your day off?
>>
>>52944951
Whitey libetards have no fucking clue what a large Muslim community will do. If you think Wesboro Baptist Church is bad, wait till you hear the bigotry that spews out of the Muslim community. They only keep quiet and stay """moderate""" because they are few in numbers in western countries. But once they reach critical mass you will hear the most retarded bulllshit from their dakwahs and teachings .
>>
>>52942289
modern developed economy of 120 million can be pretty self sufficient
>>
>>52942289
English questions were made for by a Japanese TV program.
When you do not talk slowly, most of us cannot hear even simple English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A3BH7yc1uU
>>
>>52946970
That speaker looks and sounds fucking autistic.
>>
File: 2.png (572 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
2.png
572 KB, 600x580
>>52943324
>>
>>52942289

are you viet-american in japan?
>>
>>52944182
>I've noticed that a lot of Koreans want to speak in an American accent whereas the Japanese prefer the British. Is this true?

we dont know what is difference between murrican and britbongs english
>>
>>52942393
I did, two at once. not as hard as people say.

desu english is harder, I dont blame em
>>
File: image.png (156 KB, 640x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
156 KB, 640x600
>>52947478
I'm a retarded convict peasant so I cannot into that proper posh London accent.
>>
I don't understand. Why do baka gaijins think they are in their countries while traveling Japan?
>>
>>52942289
Why can't you speak Japanese you pleb fuck
>>
>>52942289

youre going to THEIR country why dont you learn some fucking japanese you lazy asshole
>>
>>52942289
>for New Years
is this correct? perhaps implies year's something?
>>
>>52948212
>baka gaijins

t. Davido-kun
>>
>>52942289
> tfw a Vietnamese in Japan.
Well I've heard Vietnamese Engrish many time before, and it's horrendous.
>>
>>52942289
>I'm in Tokyo Japan for New Years and the average Jap's English level here is terrible.
>Even in the Starbucks in shibuya the cashiers can't speak any English. Not even a word. C'mon Japan, even subhuman Filipinos can speak better English than you.
>Why is Japan's English so terrible?
>
>
Go fuck yourself white scum !!!
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.