[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't American veterans handle the banter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (137 KB, 600x1069) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137 KB, 600x1069
Why can't American veterans handle the banter?
>>
>>52818518
Shitty army food I guess.
>>
>>52818518
Bullying is a serious problem in the american army, lurk /k/'s army thread if you want to know more.
>>
File: ei näillä korteilla.jpg (57 KB, 969x295) Image search: [Google]
ei näillä korteilla.jpg
57 KB, 969x295
>shoot others until somebody shoots you or you shoot yourself
>>
Thought about this yesterday.

Like WWII Veterans are always cool guys, they tell their histories with a bit of humor and generaly have any psychological problems. Met one when i was a kid in a asylum, shit was quite sad tho.

But Vietnam veterans are always crazy fucks with tons of psicological problems and all that shit.

How is it possible?
>>
Young male suicide is like the leading cause of death in the US/Australia and probably other countries
>>
>>52818518
delet this
>>
>>52818758
Vietnam vets probably burnt children alive, fucked child prostitutes and saw their entire platoon killed
>>
>>52818758
One had access to modern weaponry and safety, the other had only access to farming tools.
>>
File: goddamn.png (1 MB, 773x1024) Image search: [Google]
goddamn.png
1 MB, 773x1024
We are raised with military recruiters at our high school cafeterias telling us every day how brave and proud of us our community will be if we join the military. They put up all these posters of people jumping out of planes and doing badass things and send young recruiters in sharp dress uniforms to impress and awe impressionable 15-16 year olds.

They sign up and immediately get their ass kicked in basic training. Then most of them realize they are actually going to be glorified janitors for a base in bumfuck nowhere Germany or Japan. The ones who get sent to fight in Afghanistan then have to go fight against a people that are fighting to preserve their way of life against them, so they are vicious, everywhere, and use any and all tactics including women and children. You can only slaughter so many innocents and see so many of your friends die in completely random, unpredictable ways before you start to crack. Then, to top it all off, it finally hits you: you did all of this, killed all these people, saw your best friends die, just so some rich corporate guys back home got richer at your expense - and you willingly signed up to do this.

When you finally get home, there is no amount of time that will allow you to shake that horrible realization of what you've done. That is why so many kill themselves. Same thing happened with Vietnam.

Our veterans have every reason to be upset for being lied to and manipulated then ignored, but ultimately it is their fault for being stupid enough to believes the lies they heard from the recruiters growing up.
>>
>>52818758
The Viet Cong intentionally played mindgames with US Soldiers.
Psychological warfare is more common when fighting insurgencies, whereas WWII vets were fighting other dedicated soldiers. The War was just as real, but at least the Krauts didn't make spike traps in the forest floor and skin downed pilots.
>>
>>52818881
this is one of the best posts I've read on 4chan, ever
>>
>>52818809
>>52818861

Yeah, makes sense.
>>
>>52818518
AF best branch to be in, I take it?
>>
Who literally cares about a bunch of high school dropouts who signed up to die for Israel and Jewish bankers
>>
>>52818758
WW2 was not too hard for USA. They did not participate in the more brutal part of the WW2.

Vietnam on the other hand was very difficult for US army. They suffered from very poor morale for much of the war. US does not treat war veterans well either.
>>
>>52818977
Not you.
>>
>>52818949

So, Arabs did the same shit with US Soldiers at the war in Middle East?
>>
what's a good movie that illustrates the atrocities of war? I mean an actual movie, not some gay documentary.
>>
>>52819000

And how Eastern front veterans behave nowadays. Are they "cool" like the other or they have psicological problems as well?
>>
>>52818881
>killed all these people, saw your best friends die
>only 149 dead in iraq
>drones and drone pilots will be the ones who will have made the most victims
Nice keyboard techs you got there tho, but don't even try to compare vietnam to the middle-east.
>>
>>52818758
WW1 vets were put in asylums when they showed shellshock symptoms
>>
>>52818969

Thanks. I live in an area that the Marines heavily recruit from and have seen this story over and over. As long as there are pro-military posters and speakers throughout every American high school, there will always be young men who want to be a hero and do something they perceive as honorable, brave, and a guaranteed investment in their future.
>>
>>52818977
You need a high school diploma to enlist.
>>
>>52818974
Yes.
>>
>>52819166

Drones didn't begin until Obama. There were still seven years of ground war combat in Afghanistan and Iraq. A lot of those guys came back really messed up.
>>
>>52818881
>mfw I learned the qt in picture became paralysed in a hunting accident
>>
>>52819220
American on vacation here

A funny descriptor for the United States Air Force. Contrary to what some other douchebags think, the Air Force is usually first into the country, dropping bombs to take out strategic targets like communications and radar. Sure, some of us sit behind a desk, but we are part of the mission to support the planes. Planes like the F-22, the most advanced fighter in the world. Capable of shooting down half a dozen F/A-18s without ever being detected on radar. Or the SR-71, the world record holder for the fastest aircraft on earth. Or, the A-10 warthog, a plane designed to hunt and kill tanks. And we can't forget the B-2, an aircraft that has a 179 foot wing span and can carry 50,000 lbs of payload weighing a full 171 tons that has a radar cross-section of a humming bird. Airmen have it good because the Air Force spends way more money on quality of life for its people than any other service. As a result they have a much higher retention rate and troop morale. All of the services in the military have their strengths, the Air force rules the skys, and we have yet to be challenged.
>>
>>52818758
wwii was fast paced and brutal with clashes between giant armies. These new types of wars like vietnam and irak are grinding their mental health,they can never relax,danger can come from anywhere and anyone,the enemy is not an army but the people around you,they have no uniform and are not bound by any code or fear of similar reprisal to their pow if they decapitate or skin them alive. They always fight dirty, and you rarely get the satisfaction of a direct confrontation.

It's like being in a fist fight with an mma champion vs a 25% chance that your neighbour might throw cold water on you as you leave your house for the rest of your life,and you can't do anything about it.
>>
>>52819085
it is better hidden due to cultural differences, but it is there. Most do not return from infantry in war without some damage being done.
>>
>>52818977
You need to have graduated high school to get in.

And I don't know about the other branches, but the Air Force at least places a high value on educated Airmen. It even has the Community College of the Air Force.
>>
>>52818518
I used to work with an army vet. All they did for him was put him on pills. Some days he'd be nice and calm, some others depressed and moody. Then one day I accidently popped an air package by him and found him an hour later nudged into a corner of the warehouse. They didn't care as long as he was on his pills.
>>
>>52818518
I can relate to that feeling. It's sort of like that you're falling out of the life. Young people got their degrees, good jobs and stuff - and you're just a nobody with skills that are mostly irrelevant in civilian life. It's like a feeling of joining a race when you're already behind others for a lap. What makes it even more difficult to get over this, is that in army you always knew what do to, there was always some kind of mission or objective to move towards to. But once you're out, you're feeling lost with little idea what to do. So I guess stuff like this can really get some people to give up on life.
>>
>>52819352
9/11 though

I don't mean to be hostile but the "we have yet to be challenged" meme has to stop. You can't protect your own borders.

I am sure the USAF is a great corps but "we all mighty bro" is growing old, especially when a bunch of goatfuckers can hijack civilian planes and flew all the way to strategic targets on the east coast without being shot down.

U DUN GOOFED
>>
>>52819399

Yeah true.

>>52819400

Same with the ones in Ukraine?
>>
>>52819217
>I live in an area that the Marines heavily recruit from
I live in San Diego and they come to high schools here every few weeks. I graduated high school last year and I remember them being out in the courtyard at lunch attracting huge crowds and giving people shirts and lanyards for doing push-ups and pull-ups and stuff.
>>
>>52819546

They pay for your school once you get out. If you are a vet and don't get yourself educated, it's your own fault.
>>
>>52818881
What a fucking pussy. This is why homosexuals should have never been allowed in the US military. Get fucked commie.
>>
>>52819634

I live near Atlanta. People here have an almost religious respect for the military. Growing up, you showed absolute deference to your friends' dads who were military. Then you realize that you can have that respect someday just by serving a few years in the Army. This is also why a lot of vets hate how people constantly thank them for their service when many of them literally spent 4 years cleaning toilets in Romania then came home.
>>
>>52819763
>People here have an almost religious respect for the military
Yeah, same here. It's a Navy town after all.
>>
>>52819561
>especially when a bunch of goatfuckers can hijack civilian planes and flew all the way to strategic targets on the east coast without being shot down.
In 2001, no one had done something on that scale. Hijackings simply didn't end like that. Shooting down a civilian jet would have caused far too much backlash had they been shot down before they flew into the buildings.
I'm sure the standard operating procedure for those situations has change drastically now.
>>
>>52818518
AIR FORCE AIR FORCE AIR FORCE AIR FORCE.
>>
I never hear of Australian Vietnam vets having the same widespread issues as the American ones.

Don't know if that's cause they were treated better or because we don't claim they won a war that they lost or what.
>>
>>52820362
We had half a million troops, most of which were college students who wanted to live a peaceful life that got drafted, you sent in less than 10K, and Aussies are already hard cunts, I'd imagine your military is even harder.
>>
>>52820362
I got the impression Australian troops handled themselves much better in Vietnam.
>>
>>52820607
>most of which were college students who wanted to live a peaceful life that got drafted
A quarter of the troops in Vietnam were draftees. Don't make it out to be more than it was.
>>
>>52818758
WW2 veterans had not doubt their fight was good against evil AND they had several weeks after the war where they could talk with their comrades before going home.
>>
>>52820678
Cause of the privates, leadership, or government?

>>52820607
>and Aussies are already hard cunts
Yeh mate, just look at me. Bloke of iron.
>>
what's a difference between a sailor and a marine? isnt a marine just a military sailor? also why is their army such soft cunts? I know they (and dutch) were the first to pull out of kosovo and bosnia when they faced our army and then didnt show up since, also Serbia lost like 1/3 of population in ww1 and also won ww2, yet I never heard someone killing themselves or getting ptsd or any other meme diseases..

wtf ayy lmao
>>
>>52820607
>Aussies are already hard cunts
Kek m8, way to fall for the crocodile Dundee meme.
>>
>>52821119
It's because the Australians were more experienced in jungle warfare and counter-insurgency, as I understand.
>>
>>52818758
WWII vets often did have mental issues stemming from their experiences in the war but they were simply told to suck it up and the ones who couldn't were ignored for the most part
>>
>>52818518
Is this suggesting that you cannot commit suicide anymore once you join the military or that more soldiers should've died in iraq?
>>
>>52818758
Survivorship bias. Most of the ones who suffered died long time ago.
>>
>>52821348
The picture was made to suggest that we need to be involved in wars less and that veterans need better healthcare to deal with their mental issues
>>
>"veterans"

more like whiny lilttle bitches lmao AM I RIGHT OR NOT
>>
>>52818518
All things considered, the number of vets that commits suicide tends to be pretty fucking vastly overplayed. Not to say that it isn't a problem, but most vets that kill themselves are Vietnam vets.

Suicide rates of modern vets are actually comparable to and in some cases better than the average population.
>>
>>52819561
>9/12 Headlines
>US Air Force shot down 2 planes with suspiction of terrorist activity, 384 casualities
>Terrorist activity yet to be confirmed

both cases sound really bad desu
>>
>us veterans
a bunch of welfare queens who'se only job is to receive welfare so us can say "we have the highest military spending in the world!!"
95% of then never saw combat
>>
>>52821566
F
>>
>>52821622
>95% of then never saw combat
That goes for pretty much every military on the planet. Especially now.
>>
>>52821449
40000 people commit suicide and 300 of them happen to be from the military.
>>veterans need better healthcare to deal with their mental issues
>>
>>52821573
Better than +3000 casualties and hundreds of billions
>>
File: ratko.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
ratko.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>52821765
that's simply false..
pic related, Serbian general, out in the field, had at least 50 kills and also participated in direct combat on multiple occasions, was the first to charge at a fortified position, and first to take down enemy flag

95% of us "military" are, literally, a bunch of faggots and welfare queens who never even saw combat, and are put on this welfare program just so us can say "we have the highest military spending in the world"

also actual soldiers dont get ptsd or kill themselves, to be soldier is to do opposite of those 2, ayy fucking lmao
>>
>>52820607

Aussie troops in Vietnam were conscripts too
>>
>>52822112
Perhaps if you invested more in logistics and kept your officers off the field, you wouldn't have been blown the fuck out by NATO.
>>
>>52821924
Veterans healthcare is a large issue in the US right now

You're also forgetting the anti-war sentement with the picture
>>
>>52818518
>Americans commit suicide
see. Americans are sensitive enough to do it. I think that they forget something bad right after eating burgers.
>>
Now imagine how the Iraqi people feel when their 2 brothers and little sister are dead from an airstrike, their dad was killed in a firefight and their mother sobs loudly everynight
>>
>>52819075
Saving Private Ryan

:^)
>>
>>52818977
I've considered enlisting if I'd ever find myself without my current job. I lucked out, I'm only 22 but I work for a local software company and I have more money than I know what to do with.

I have absolutely no discipline, I'm a complete degenerate and I feel the army could force authority into me and help with becoming more disciplined.
>>
>>52819075
cross of iron
stalingrad

games:
red orcehstra 2
spec ops the line
>>
>>52822112
>Serbian education

"here is a single example to disprove decades of medical and scientific research."
"I don't know anything about clinical psychology, but I know better than experts because one potential psychopath may not have developed PTSD."
>>
>>52827493
>research

there's that one study that interviewed a bunch of vietnam vets, one pilot who set entire valleys on fire and one infantryman who got up to sarge.. they both said they enjoyed it very much and that nothing made them as happy as war..

human has been at war for... whole of history, its only natural to adapt to it, its just that americans are a biggest bunch of sheltered faggots on this earth
all you do is lob missiles and hire mercenaries or who ever else in the region to do all the fighting you ever have to do

us ground forces exist purely for propaganda reasons, they are all welfare queens whose sole purpose is to boost us military spending chart and literally nothing else
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.