[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best European language for a brit/bong to learn,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 1448937878401.jpg (93 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
1448937878401.jpg
93 KB, 800x680
What is the best European language for a brit/bong to learn, i can take a class at uni next term.

Spanish
German
French

Right now I'm thinking German is the most useful for Europe, but I think a Romance language is funner and opens up more. So overall I think French might be the best choice. Unsure though

French + Good Economies, + Important in Europe, + Globally Relevant in other countries and institutions +Makes other Romance languages easier +Nice for holiday

German -Useless apart from German and sorta hard apparently? + Nice countries +Nice economy +Relevant in Europe but not outside - They speak good English unlike other two

Spanish +Apparently Easiest +Nice holiday +Sorta global not as much as French but more important...
I have a feeling that Spanish is the most useful overall but French is the most useful from a Brit perspective. Im scared that Spanish is a bit of a meme because it all rides on murderholes in Latin america.
>>
France will be the next euro superpower, if that helps
>>
Learn German, a genuinely Germanic language untainted by French.
>>
Why not learn Arabic at this point in time? Seriously.
>>
>>52771156
>German -Useless apart from German and sorta hard apparently? +
As far as uselessness goes it's pretty useless outside of Austria, Switzerland, Germany and Liechtenstein (lol) but those are also the richest countries in Europe and Germany is the largest exporter so while you're not going to get to speak it in any """exotic""" shitholes unlike Spanish or French, it is certainly useful for business and such. All German-speaking countries are prosperous so if you ever feel like leaving the UK it may come in handy.

Now, German is not difficult at all. Unlike French, it's quite intimidating but as you start learning and get past the cases and stop being so fussy about genders (too many beginners focus too much on those and give up as a result) you realise it's actually quite easy. Also, from my experience going to Germany and practicing it with the locals is an absolute pleasure. Germans are some of the nicest, most polite people in the world and will always be keen on speaking it with you, whereas the French and Spaniards will usually try and switch to their broken English. In Germany it's very easy to engage in random conversations with strangers in the streets - just ask someone for directions and mention that your German still isn't too good and they'll very likely ask where you come from, what you think about their country etc.

It does, indeed, have a much more complex grammar than any other Germanic language (excl. Icelandic and Faroese) but I believe that the attitude of the natives and ease of understanding it spoken help a lot and motivate greatly.

French is easy in the beginning as it has a similar sentence structure to English (word order etc.) and I'm pretty sure English borrows about 50% of its vocabulary from it and Latin. You'll begin to READ French in no time but understanding it spoken will take you a couple of years, not to mention actually SPEAKING it. I'll continue:
>>
>>52771156
French would also be easy to learn for you since you speak english, because a lot of our vocabulary is either exactly the same or at least very similar to the english vocabulary.
>>
>>52771156
>European language
why bother
most of europe is very familiar with english
learn mandarin or something
>>
>>52772090
>mandarin
gross
>>
>>52771156
French. Good basis for other romanic languages + easy vocab for English speakers
>>
>>52771156
I've had French in high school and I was quite good at it until I actually went to France, which is when I gave up for a bit. I could hardly understand anything and judging the reactions of people I got to speak to they had an even harder time understanding me. Too many similar sounds that a foreigner, especially a beginner just can't differentiate, let alone imitate.

In civilised countries French is only spoken in France (which is fantastic), Luxembourg (even better financially speaking), Monaco (you're never gonna move there), Walloon region of Belgium and Quebec. The rest of French speaking countries are some completely irrelevant, poverty stricken hellholes in Africa that you probably don't even know the names of.

I love France and everything French. I'm studying in the UK and, my flatmates are French and I love them to bits but only now, after 3 months surrounded by French daily I'm finally starting to achieve some sort of fluency.

Go for German if you're learning alone and want to be able to speak and understand it soon. Go for French if you prefer it AND can immerse yourself in it. The latter is impossible to learn without proper immersion.
>>
>anglos
>learning languages
>ever
how is it like to be monolingual? I'll never know that feel
>>
>>52772250
feels fine mane
i unironically have absolutely no urge to leave the US
>>
http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/these-are-the-10-most-important-languages-of-the-future-for-british-people--WJzA5q56Gl

Spanish is at the top of the list for Britain's future, but really just go with whatever you prefer.

Be warned, that Germans speak really good English, I've found a lot of people say it wasn't worth learning it. If you want to actually live in Germany, Austria or Switzerland permanent okay but just for visiting and holiday it's really not necessary.

French is more of a... business language that educated groups in Africa speak, the actual native speakers of French are mostly just in France and Quebec.

Spain has the most speakers and it is actually their native language, but most of them are over in Latin America if you really want to take advantage of the language.

to sum up
French= France, Quebec and Africa
Spanish= Spain and Latin America
German= Central Europe

Go with whichever area you're interested in travelling in and which culture you like the best. Difficulty wise they are fairly similar. (German isn't that hard once you learn the tenses) French is probably the most difficult to pronounce correctly but easy too read.
>>
>>52772329
merifat can't into culture
no surprise here
>>
>>52772329
I'd go to the u.k Ireland, Australia or New Zealand. Otherwise I have no desire to travel outside the US/Canada
>>
File: 1450753536962.gif (569 KB, 640x636) Image search: [Google]
1450753536962.gif
569 KB, 640x636
>>52772394
>european "culture"
you're willingly destroying it to make muslims happy
if you don't like it, I don't see why I should
the only worthwhile modern aspect of european culture is the food, which I can make at my house because of the internet
>>
>>52772499
>mericlap
>food

again no surprise here.
you are just proving my point
>>
>>52772153
Spanish is the best base for romance languages, it's extremely similar to Portuguese, Catalan and Italian. French is the most distant of the bunch
>>
>>52771156
Choose the one you like the most.
One day you will start forgetting it and without motivation you will not have any mood refreshing the language.
>>
>>52772557
You sound a little butthurt
>>
>>52771216
I think French language will be bigger in Europe by 2030 with the decline of Germany etc..
>>
>>52772557
just don't reply to his b8
>>
>>52772392
>Spanish is at the top of the list for Britain's future

the fuck
>>
>>52771992
>Germans are some of the nicest, most polite people in the world and will always be keen on speaking it with you,

hasn't the case for me, 9/10 times out of 10 people would switch to English? Maybe my German was just less good than I though :(
>>
>>52772090
and any useful Chinese people are going to be familiar with English as well.

I don't have to spend my entire life learning Chinese and still not be able to read a book.

If i wanted an asian language id choose Jap or Korean cos at least the countries aren't shitholes
>>
>>52772250

I'm half german raised in the UK and I will ALWAYS be resentful of my mum for not speaking it with me as a kid. Could have been so beneficial for me from an early age. But I'm an adult now so need to strive to sort that shit out myself.
>>
Spanish:

>Easy as shit
>Like literally the easiest language in the world
>Fewer phonemes than fucking Esperanto
>Half the words are English words except with shit like turning "-ty" into "-dad" or "-tion" into "-cion"
>Spelled exactly like it's pronounced

>Used in like 20 countries
>Spoken by half a billion people
>Very few of them speak English

I don't see how it's even close for an English speaker. Granted it's more useful in the US than in the UK but I'd still vote for Spanish over there.
>>
>>52775463
Yeh it makes sense, but in terms of the EU, and Business etc, European language knowledge and international shit French is still far more important than French.

Apparently Spanish and Italian are somewhat intelligible though so arguably if you learn one you get a good grasp of the other and Spain+Italy is quite a big area.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.