[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a bored northern Canadian anything pt. 2.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 2.jpg (712 KB, 2546x1909) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
712 KB, 2546x1909
Ask a bored northern Canadian anything pt. 2.
>>
what do you look like?
>>
>>52755544
White, brown hair, brown eyes, 6'1".
>>
>>52755046
>northern canadian
any suicide attempts lately?

also where u at
>>
>>52755735
Nope. I'm not depressed or anything. If you're born here you're accustomed to the relative isolation, harsher winters, shorter/longer days, etc.

Whitehorse.
>>
>>52755807
>Whitehorse
>North

laughinggirls.png
>>
Are there alot of injuns around? How are the internet speeds?
>>
Do you want to move to a bigger place?

Are there any minorities?

Is it ever warm?

What are some local foods?
>>
How is the weather at the moment? -28 here in northern Finland. How empty is the place really? Do you own a lot of land? Do you come across wildlife often? Is it like "wild west" with little police/government presence? Is gold mining still big business there? Is the place mostly inhabitated by white Canadians or native indians like the Arctic areas?
>>
File: test.jpg (32 KB, 509x308) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
32 KB, 509x308
>>52755857
North in Canada = 60th parallel N generally.

>>52755860
Yeah, lots. They have their own reserves which are well out of the way of Whitehorse and Dawson but many of them still live here.

Internet speeds aren't too bad actually. Or, at least, they're better than what you'd expect. Pic related.

>>52755899
I moved to Ontario about 3 years ago for work. I'm just back home to visit the family. I'm not really a city person on the whole, and would prefer to live here if that were an option.

Mostly natives.

Depends on what you mean by warm. Our summers are usually ~20C but it's not unheard of that we'll hit the high 20s.

Pretty standard North American food made with local ingredients. Lots of elk and moose meat, beef is another favourite, seafood like lobster. The most famous cuisine tradition here (or in Dawson, really) was the sourtoe cocktail, but an American tourist put an end to that after he ate it.
>>
>>52755046
can I move there?
>>
>>52755946
-18C at the moment. Pretty empty. We have a population density of 0.1/square km, a total of just over 30,000 with most living in Whitehorse.

I don't own a lot of land, no. My family has a home here and a small plot of land in Dawson that belonged to my grandparents. Wildlife? You can't move for it. Bears and wolves aren't uncommon in town especially on garbage night. Take a drive down the Dempster and you're guaranteed to see herds of deer, moose, bears, wolverines, foxes.

Nah, it's not like the wild west. Our crime rate appears as high as it does because natives stir up trouble here like they do everywhere else in Canada. I haven't noticed any less of an RCMP presence here than elsewhere in less urban Canada.

Some people are still in mining but it's nothing like it was in its hayday. Most of us are the great-grandkids of miners, who themselves were the kids of prospectors during the gold rush. If I had to guess I'd say something like 60% work for the government these days.

White Canadians, yes. IIRC something like 70% of Yukoners are white.
>>
>>52756106
If you want. Just don't wander too far afield because German tourists have a tendency of getting lost/being mauled/freezing to death in Kluane.
>>
>>52756312
it just seems like a good place to be left alone and it looks nice.
we dont have this here anymore
>>
>>52756378
Yeah, that's a common story here. Most people move here to get away from society in general.
>>
Hey neat place. I was in the NWT earlier this year.
>>
>>52756585
How'd you like it? I've never been to Yellowknife but I have a friend living there currently.
>>
Have you had any dangerous encounters with bears/wolves/moose/wolverines?
>>
>>52756652
Didn't go to yellowknife, but went somewhere really small. Something like 1000 people. Really neat place.

It was really nice and all the canada memes are real.Your abos aren't anything like Australia's either. Way nicer.
>>
Always kind of wanted to visit Northern Canada. The Arctic and sub-Arctic has this weird kind of appeal to me. Miles and miles of conifer forest, mountains, barren windswept plains dotted with kettle lakes. I don't know, it's weird and exotic compared to urban New England.

Any notable scenery to see? Good food? How is getting around on road, especially way up North near the arctic circle? Would probably want a truck instead of a car right?
>>
>>52756740
Nah. I worked at Kluane for a few summers as a warden in my late teens. I've seen lots of bears and moose and a handful of wolves but I've never had any dangerous experiences with any of them. Bears are big scaredy cats, especially if you make yourself look bigger than you really are. Bull moose are dangerous in rut but are pretty easy to avoid. Wolves won't even approach you usually. Wolverines are supposedly the most aggressive apart from bull moose but I've only seem them on the side of the road, never up close.

>>52756790
Yeah, they get a pretty bad rap because the ones in cities like Winnipeg are known mostly for being junkies and homeless. Lots of them are decent people, though. What do you mean about the memes, though?

>>52756900
Most people who come here as tourists usually wind up in Kluane because it's nearest to Whitehorse. The Upper Klondike Valley is where you want to be, though. Much more remote, much less foot traffic, and incredibly beautiful. Tombstone is probably the least traveled of the popular destinations, but you need a bit of bushcraft know-how to go there because you're pretty much on your own if shit hits the fan.

Getting around isn't too bad. The Dempster and Klondike Highways are the main arteries and will take you from Whitehorse to NWT or Alaska. If you mean to get right up north to Ivvavik or Old Crow, you're going to have to be flown in.
>>
>>52755807
>Whitehorse
>more southern than fucking Stockholm
trash
>>
>>52757699
Maybe if you took the BBC out of your ass you wouldn't be so stuck up.
>>
>>52757699

>Sweden
>not urban

This thread is reserved for empty countries, go away
>>
File: 1446840400323.jpg (157 KB, 992x880) Image search: [Google]
1446840400323.jpg
157 KB, 992x880
>>52757727
>salty southerner
>these are the people who refer to themselves as "northener"
>mfw I didn't even venture south of the arctic circle until I was 15

Gas yourself, slanty-eyes
>>
>>52757741
>Finland literally fits inside Norrland, which has one fourth your population density
finncramps much
>>
>>52757799
>map is capped at "up to 20"

Add another "0-4" category and Finland goes brown and Lapland does not
>>
>>52757775
>>52757799
>>52757816
>>52757844
Here comes the BBC brigade.
>>
>>52757977
There's no banter going on here. The territories are northern Canada, and since I'm from Yukon I'm a northern Canadian. It's not that hard to wrap your brain around.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (71 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
71 KB, 384x313
>>52758023

The Swedes are just butthurt because their """""" northernmost""""""'' point is so far south and they all live south of Denmark.
>>
>>52755046
How often are you going outdoors like camping, hiking etc?
>>
>>52755046
why is it so much colder in there, when its almost the same latitude as here
>>
>>52760440
probably its deeper inland and youre closer to sea
>>
>>52755046
Is it cold there?
>>
File: 20f.jpg (82 KB, 610x1163) Image search: [Google]
20f.jpg
82 KB, 610x1163
>>52760275
>they all live south of Denmark.
>>
>>52755649
>white
>>
>>52755046
In Germany the statement "To each, their own!" gets you into jail.

oops thats actually true.
>>
>>52760601
It's about -33 atm idk what that is in freedom units but it's pretty cold
>>
>>52762366
Well considering -40F = -40C and -33C isn't too far off I'd say that's fucking cold.
>>
>>52762366

What is the coldest temperature you have experienced? Not counting wind chill.
>>
Is it easy to move to?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.