[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your country like when it comes to trains? Questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
What is your country like when it comes to trains?

Questions for /int:
> How secure are your country's train stations? How often are train tickets checked?
> How expensive are fares, in your opinion?
> Is passing as a child common?

>In the North of england, less money is invested in train security (checking tickets/barriers/security) you'll only get your tickets checked 3/10 on the train; ticket barriers are rarely on, but when in London tickets are nearly always checked (I was on a empty train at 3am and another, very crowded one at 14hrs and it was checked both times, whereas on services where it is too crowded/empty, most inspectors don't even check up North).
>Old trains with flooded/broken/smelly toilets are still in operation, with little hygiene. Seats are nearly always uncomfrtable, unless travelling by Virgin (possibly one of the most expensive though.)
>I pretended I was a child (considered 15 y/o) until I was 19 for cheaper fares and was never asked for ID.
>System is privatised; as a result, shorter journeys can cost more than a long one.
>>
File: pacerWK.jpg-pwrt3.jpg (60 KB, 600x382) Image search: [Google]
pacerWK.jpg-pwrt3.jpg
60 KB, 600x382
>>52745220
fucking pitiful. pic related. its made from bus parts. the only other country in the world that has these is Iran and even there they have phased most of them out
>>
>>52745441
Is that Bradford Interchange too? I'm not even surprised
>>
>>52745220
>secure
ok I guess ?
>expensive/checked
extremely, SNCF has a monopoly and uses it fully. the bastards don't even make a global price for each kilometer, they just monitor which regions have only one train line and the less convenient car travelling and charge these ones to death. needless to say, it's quite exceptional to not be checked . recently there appears to be a new trend where your ticked is checked before you go in, during the trip and when you go out of the train
>child
50/50, some assholes won't hesitate to drop you at the police station that are inside the big train stations for verification

no matter how fast and new the trains are, it's still a shit tier transportation method in france. if you have a car, avoid at all cost
>>
File: BIOTREN NUEVAS ESTACIONES F.jpg (127 KB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
BIOTREN NUEVAS ESTACIONES F.jpg
127 KB, 1152x768
>>52745220

>south of chile; well it's pretty secure, but the system is based on trusting the passengers, you can skip the barriers by saying to the guard that you'll pay on the train, and when you're there, you can always say you already payed on the entrance.. and they have no way to tell if it's true... anyway people hardly does it, unlike other services...
>>
> How secure are your country's train stations?
I feel safe
>How often are train tickets checked?
It's like inquisition, I never was not checked for the 30 times I have tacken the train, also their techniques evolve every year so ways to cheat that worked last year doesn't work anymore the next year, also checkers have a nice bonus when they catch fraud so basically you are fucked
Very
What ?
>>
File: 1450374982073.png (33 KB, 599x301) Image search: [Google]
1450374982073.png
33 KB, 599x301
>>
I'm not a communist, I own a car.
>>
>>52745220
Police everywhere.
Quite often.
Way too expensive. But our trains drive almost constantly right after each other, which might explain the price.
u wot
>>
>>52745220
>> How secure are your country's train stations? How often are train tickets checked?
All the time unless it is the final train at 3:00 AM
>> How expensive are fares, in your opinion?
Fucking horrendously expensive, like 8.75$ Off-Peak, 11.50$ Peak.
>> Is passing as a child common?
Only if the guy isn't a dick. Otherwise you're off the train if you don't have a ticket.
>>
>>52745220
> How secure are your country's train stations? How often are train tickets checked?
Secure enough. It might have been possible until last year in some remote place to go from one train station to the next one unchecked. Nowadays, Your ticket will be checked up to three time, and even more if the controller forgot he checked your ticket some stations ago.
I've never been controlled in UK. Never dodged.
It's always too expensive. A flight would be cheaper if you didn't take the fare to/from the airport into account.
There's this thing called an ID card here. It's compulsory to have one with you. You need to prove your age for your ticket to be valid.
>>
We have no trains :(
>>
File: h34.jpg (56 KB, 600x302) Image search: [Google]
h34.jpg
56 KB, 600x302
>>52745220
>> How secure are your country's train stations? How often are train tickets checked?

Freight is rarely stolen. Package tickets are checked on arrival and departure.

>> How expensive are fares, in your opinion?

Prices vary depending on package size and weight.

>> Is passing as a child common?

Most people who pass are elderly, and I don't see what this has to do with trains.
>>
File: Trains Islande.png (749 KB, 1000x804) Image search: [Google]
Trains Islande.png
749 KB, 1000x804
>>52746749
You should use those small trains to tour the coasts.
>>
About half the time, there are cops around but only in the really dodgey areas. Can't speak for other cities but in Sydney's CBD, there are cops around most of the time.
Never. We're moving to this electronic card-based system which isn't too bad imo.
Pretty expensive but better than sitting in traffic across the Habour Bridge
Sometimes, but not all that common.

Train network is pretty unreliable but it's getting better. Several stations are being built around the western suburbs where they are sorely needed which will cut down on road traffic. I'd give the stations 2 weeks, maybe 3 tops, before they're broken into and vandalised and/or set on fire.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.