[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about your last name, /v/. Where did it originate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: Giovanni_Paolo_Pannini_002.jpg (98 KB, 820x599) Image search: [Google]
Giovanni_Paolo_Pannini_002.jpg
98 KB, 820x599
Tell me about your last name, /v/. Where did it originate?
>>
Okehampton, West Devon
>>
>>52720414
http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Bolin
and i also have a last name that is literally translated as Mountainvalley, but the only thing i have on it is that it is a name picked up by one of my ancestors after he was captured and released by the danes in the 18th century.
>>
Made up by my grandfather and hus brothers like every other Finnish family's non-Swedish name.
>>
i have my mother maiden name it was changed when she divorced and came here, it is another form of an old nation-state

my original last name from my father was also a location/state name but gone long before the zhou dynasty

this is the origine of most chinese last names
>>
>>52720414
>Robinson

It means the son of robin, who would have guessed?
>>
Some shitty ass town on the fens in england
>>
northern Germany or Netherlands.
>>
name of a hill
>>
"Salvatico"
My understanding is that it means "savage" al italiano.
>>
It's a kike patronymic.

Jacobson, basically.
>>
>>52720414
My last name is exactly the same as a famous Roman general
>>
a general from venice

my surname is most likely from the Cyclades, I think I had an uncle who was a merchant or something and used this name cause it sounded italian and cool.
>>
It's an Italian name, something to do with a shop.
My great-grandfather was an abandoned child and they found him in front of a shop or in a market or something so the nuns managing the orphanage just named him after this.
My great-grandmother was an abandoned child too so that makes the genealogical tree pretty short.
>>
Ancient greek for "meat".
So it's either something to do with being a butcher or big dicks are a family trait.
>>
From Germany. Means wreath.
>>
>>52720861

All names are made up you autist. In some parts of Finland family names were used while the concept was unknown to Scandinavians.
>>
>>52721858
creas?
>>
>>52720414
If I remember correctly, it's from a geographical feature in Southern Estonia.
>>
>>52721924
Crea
>>
After a town in Spain.
>>
>>52721891
I think he is referring to the fact that many Finns changed their names to sound more Finnish.
Like if a Finn was named Carl Gustav Cederholm, he would change it to Kaali Kusta Säätärhoolmiiainen
>>
French Acadian name fucked back and forth between french and german spellings
>>
German
Dryer
>>
>>52720414
uhh Ireland I guess..
>>
cuck desu senpai baka
>>
literally "yellow warrior" lmao
>>
>>52720414
>/v/
>>
>>52720414
Northern Portugal. Barbosian Great-grandfather fought in Verdun and got in love with my Belgian great-grandmother.
>>
>>52722704
Lol just noticed
>>
>>52722760
>literally t.alberto barbosa
>>
>>52722816
I sincerely wish my last name was Barbosa just to make shitposting on /int/ my main activity
>>
File: Tilia_platyphyllos_Li_35589.jpg (96 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
Tilia_platyphyllos_Li_35589.jpg
96 KB, 533x800
Linden twig
It is an ancient Germanic practice to have a 'ward tree' on the family farm to protect the family. Ours was a linden.
>>
>/v/

what?

spanish word, rather not disclose what.
>>
Comes from the Vargas region in the Santander province which is within Spain
>>
Irish: reduced form of McCarron.German, Dutch, and Jewish (Ashkenazic): from Middle High German kerne ‘kernel’, ‘seed’, ‘pip’; Middle Dutch kern(e), keerne; German Kern or Yiddish kern ‘grain’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a farmer, or a nickname for a small person. As a Jewish surname, it is mainly ornamental.English: probably a metonymic occupational name for a maker or user of hand mills, from Old English cweorn ‘hand mill’, or a habitational name for someone from Kern in the Isle of Wight, named from this word.
>>
Somewhere in Finland. I'd share it but almost no one else in the US has it.
>>
>The surname Lynch is believed to be of dual origin. It is the anglicised version of the name O'Loinsigh, derived from the native Gaelic sept in the Province of Connaught. The Irish name O'Loinsigh comes from 'loinseach', meaning 'seaman' or 'mariner'. The Irish O'Loinsighs developed and spread in a number of areas, including Clare/Limerick, Sligo, west Cork, Cavan, Donegal and the north Antrim/Derry region, where they were chiefs of the old kingdom of Dal Riada in medieval times.
>>
In the Most Serene Republic of Venice
>>
A place name of a small Transylvanian castle in Hungarian
>>
Boyd. Scotland, a noble house name meaning "yellow" because the boyds had yellow hair (blonde). Have a few castles to their name, and its interesting because I don't just share their name I can draw a direct relation to them, my great great grandfather immigrated to Canada after the king granted some French acadien land to him, he was from the Boyd house of Scotland. Sucks cause they were massacred by the stuarts of Scotland, the royal senpai.
>>
>>52724614
oh okay then..
>>52722640 (me)
>Irish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Gealbháin ‘descendant of Gealbhán’, a personal name from geal ‘bright’ + bán ‘white’.French: nickname for a cheerful drunkard, from Old French galer ‘to enjoy oneself’, also used in a transitive sense with the meaning ‘waste’, ‘consume’ + vin ‘wine’ (Latin vinum).French: from a variant of the personal name Gauvain...
So does this mean I'm white, and french people think my family drinks too much?
>>
αυγουστατος

it's italian
>>
foster = forester

cut down trees yo
>>
My name exists in the South Netherlands and Belgium, but it's very rare. I know nothing about it. Someone once said it's a Jewish name.
>>
File: surname_distribution.png (85 KB, 960x703) Image search: [Google]
surname_distribution.png
85 KB, 960x703
As far as I'm aware it's derived from the name of a farm.
Fairly rare even in my country.
>>
File: 1450845855866.jpg (101 KB, 293x279) Image search: [Google]
1450845855866.jpg
101 KB, 293x279
Morocco
>tfw moor
>>
Middleton- tf if I know(fill me in if you happen to know for some reason)
>>
>>52724466
nice dubs leprekike
>>
>>52720414
Spain

t. gonzalez
>>
First name is an old romanian name which cames from two sources:
1. The word Cuman, from the turkic steppe nomads
2. In our language, a town is often named Comuna

And my surename comes from german, which translates to 'Bright Fame"
>>
>>52720414
France by way of the Norman invasion of England. First occurrence of my last name was when William the Conqueror granted land to the first of my last name for service in battle.
>>
>>52720414
MICHELET

Algeria
>>
File: nom.png (117 KB, 1602x1226) Image search: [Google]
nom.png
117 KB, 1602x1226
It's a french name
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.