[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you proud of being human? If suddenly Earth became part
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: America Man.jpg (300 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
America Man.jpg
300 KB, 1920x1080
Are you proud of being human?

If suddenly Earth became part of some intergalactic federation would you be ashamed of admitting of being human and saying you are from earth?

Would you pretend to be from somewhere else?
>>
File: 1299781122352.jpg (821 KB, 1500x1050) Image search: [Google]
1299781122352.jpg
821 KB, 1500x1050
What are some human achievements you would mention to show pride in your species?
>>
>>52664610
im proud of being a GAEL first and foremost
why would i be ashamed of being human? how cucked can u get
if i lived in an intergalactic federation i would colonize a miserable cold and wet boggy planet for ireland
>>
Depends how advanced everyone else is. In the eyes of ayylians we probably look like a bunch of uncivilised interfighting tribes though.
>>
File: 1450658622704.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1450658622704.gif
1 MB, 400x225
>>52664685
>why would i be ashamed of being human? how cucked can u get

Well, we have to assume some of species we would meet are far more advanced and capable than us.

We would be like savage cavemen to them.
>>
File: large hardon collider.jpg (147 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
large hardon collider.jpg
147 KB, 800x532
>>52664680
>>
>>52664680
Honestly, this can only be answered when we know the achievements of the various aliens. Then you can choose the most impressive achievement with respect to the alien's achievements.

I personally think the field of physics is the most fundamental and universal achievement which could be viewed as singular (i.e. it's part of the same framework).
>>
>>52664721
and why would that make me ashamed?
there is beauty in simplicity
im a luddite anyway
>>
>>52664764

That we have achieved so little despite our vast intellectual superiority over the other creatures on our own planet.
>>
>>52664802
>achieved little
what is the value in collective achievement? did you invent agriculture? did you fly to the moon?
fuck off cuck
>>
>>52664746
>I personally think the field of physics is the most fundamental and universal achievement which could be viewed as singular (i.e. it's part of the same framework).
Perhaps, but they would undoubtedly be FAR ahead of us in that domain, given their mastery of interstellar travel. There is a small possibility that they might not be as knowledgable in something like gene manipulation.
>>
>>52664680
I wouldn't mention anything. We don't need to justify ourselves to alien cucks.
>>
File: fresh prince of will smith.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
fresh prince of will smith.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
>>52664610
>be me watching avatar
>early on in the movie the arrows bounce off the helicopters' glass
>in the final battle the arrows pierce the glass and kills the pilots
>>
>>52664843
>pride must be held exclusively to one's own achievements

*dips bedora*
>>
I want ayylmaos to exist just to see how stormfront manages to come up with a way to make whites better than them.
>>
>>52664843
>what is the value in collective achievement?

Greater success of your species?

As of right now, the extinction of our kind is assured. We have zero control over our own fate at this time.

There are likely cultures out there that have mastered the universe and life itself.

We can't even deal with localized natural disasters and people still die from the plague.
>>
>>52664844
Good point.

However, who knows? Undoubtedly aliens would be far more knowledgeable when it comes to experimental physics and technology, but perhaps not theoretical physics.

Take string theory for example, it makes verifiable predictions that not even the most advanced alien civilizations would he able to test (due to planck level energies being required), so a species of aliens that is more utilitarian for a lack of a better word would not care because the verification of string theory would not be of experimental use.
>>
>>52664927
not saying that either. but this is complete bullshit. what is there to be ashamed of being human? is a bee ashamed of buzzing? is a wolf ashamed of hunting? is a cow ashamed of grazing?
>>
>>52664930
nigger detected
>>
>>52665000
Threadly reminder stormfront believes Putin recognized the holocaust happened because of a CIA conspiracy.
>>
>>52664610
I would just say that I am from Austria like always.
>>
>>52664991

Those animals/insects don't have our level of awareness.

You know if some other person is better than you.

Now apply that to our entire species. It's not different.
>>
>>52665034
wow, what a bunch of sillies

good thing I'm not from stormfront
>>
>>52664933
>the extinction of our kind is assured
>zero control over our own fate
Wow I want a magic crystal ball that tells me the human race is doomed to extinction. Did you get yours on Ebay anon?

>There are likely cultures out there that have mastered the universe and life itself.
I don't even know what this vague nonstatement is supposed to mean. WHOA MAN WE UNIVERSE NOW!!

>localized natural disasters
Don't build a shitty house.

>people still die from the plague.
Don't live in Africa.
>>
>>52664610
If suddenly Earth became part of some intergalactic federation would you believe that ET's would ignore our biological diversity and pretend that every organism on earth is "equal" according to our own make-believe standards?
>>
>>52665135
>Wow I want a magic crystal ball that tells me the human race is doomed to extinction

The star that powers life on our planet will die and it will destroy us in the process.

As of this moment, we have no way of escaping this fate.

You don't need a crystal ball, that's just reality.

Everything else you wrote just further strengthens my position.
>>
Proud for what exactly?
>>
>>52664933
>We can't even deal with localized natural disasters and people still die from the plague.
We couldn't even get off the ground 113 years ago. Today, something >we created has already left the solar system.

>>52664934
Theoretical and experimental physics are inseparable. When people were trying to figure out how electromagnetic waves propagate through space, they didn't have any application in mind whatsoever, because they couldn't even fathom what it could be used for. They were just working on it because it was interesting. Same for quantum tunnelling - back then they had no way of knowing that it would be essential for semiconductor tech.
>>
>>52665196
Uh yeah that's not going to happen for a few billion years, so I don't know what "fate" you're talking about.
>humans won't escape the milky way in the next billion years

>at the moment
>fate
Pro-tip: these words don't mix at all. They are literally opposite things.
>>
>>52665226
>are inseperable

To a certain extent, but this is not entirely true. String theory is the first (and only) theory that offers a working model of quantum gravity, but it has zero experimental applications.

The discovery of the Higgs Boson. Name one experimental application (as in technological) of that. You can't.

See
>http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/31293/practical-matter-of-the-higgs-mechanism

For a corroboration of my post from actual physicists.
>>
I am actively trying to leave humanity behind atm 2bh
>>
>>52665392
Same here to be fair.
>>52665274
Nothing lasts forever.
>>
>>52664902
The arrow later in the film was imbued with love and shit

You cant compete with that
>>
>>52665333
>Name one experimental application (as in technological) of that. You can't.
Not yet, anyway. But people said the same thing in 1916 when "The Foundation of the Generalised Theory of Relativity" was published. The first GPS satellite wasn't launched until 62 years later.
>>
Shame is based on comparison. I could be shamed or not ashamed, depending on what other organisms and cultures turned out to exist.
>>
>>52665547
I think I heard something like that on one of those meme shows on Discovery or some other channel that features popsci.
>>
>>52665547
GR had produced an experimental prediction which was verified in 1919 already.

The usage of GR in GPS systems is simple. A margin of error of 15 m in position means that your system has to be accurate to 50 nanoseconds.

For time scales that small, you need to correct for relativistic effects, which you can do with the equations of GR.

This is a straightforward application. Not comparable to the task of finding a technological application for the Higgs Boson's existence (which doesn't exist in my reckoning).
>>
I can't wait for the memes

>earth
>white
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.