[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to learn a language for the intellectual benefits of it,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 1440336084213.jpg (399 KB, 640x2160) Image search: [Google]
1440336084213.jpg
399 KB, 640x2160
I want to learn a language for the intellectual benefits of it, and perhaps so I can get better job offers and communicate with people. However I have no idea what language I should learn.

I tried Spanish for a month but I was bored out of my mind, I really couldn't feel the language, it was annoying. Sorry.
>>
That’s not a humanely possible task. An average person can’t learn a language if he hates the process.
>>
>>52641503
I would learn Korean, by the way, but it’s about as hard as Japanese (which is insane), and not very useful.
>>
>>52641503
I don't hate the process, I learned English no problem, it was Spanish that I hated.

I just want to hear some suggestions of some relevant/good languages to learn.
>>
>>52641620
Chinese or hindi.
>>
>>52641620
French, Chinese, German.
I think that’s the complete list of your options.
>>
>>52641734
I already speak one BRIC language, I'm okay in that department hahaha
>>
>>52641888
That’s a very random thing to say, unless it’s a joke.
>>
>>52641736
French is romance so it should be a bit easier to learn for me, I think I'll go with that. Thanks.
>>52641931
Isn't that the only reason people learn our languages? Because of the BRIC?
>>
>>52641992
Yes but they don’t stop at one.
>>
>>52641992
Portuguese and Hindi are both pretty dank languages tbqh
>>
>>52642019
Maybe I'll learn Russian then, how is it?
>>52642048
Portuguese isn't that dank, it's like an uglier Italian. But at least it's not Spanish.
>>
>>52642106
I’m not a linguist and I don’t speak anything besides English. I don’t think Russian is anything special, something like a version of German with free word order and alien vocabulary. Try German and you’ll know what Russian feels like.
>>
>>52642488
I heard German's hard as fuck, I know you just said you don't speak anything but English, but do you know enough to tell me if it's true?
>>
>>52641620
Make it as immersive as possible. Learn japanese if you like chinese cartoons or French if you like shitty "deep" cinema. Hang around native speakers if you can, it doesn't matter if you look like a clueless retard at first.

Learning something just for the sake of it almost never works. I took French, English and scatalan at school for many years and nothing stuck because it was boring as shit and the teachers didn't give a fuck. I ended up learning English on my own from videogames and the internet, I can't say a single sentence in French and scatalan can go suck shit.

Familiarize yourself with the language you want to learn for at least a month. Watch some movies with subtitles or whatever. Passively absorb as much information while doing things you enjoy and when you feel comfortable with it you can take some classes or something.
>>
Learn Esperanto
>>
>>52642760
What you say makes a lot of sense, when I went into English I learned it out of necessity to use the Internet and play video games, so it was very immersive. My experience with Spanish was similar to your experience with French too, I didn't use it at all.

But now this raises another problem because I don't think there's anything I like that I would have to learn a language to immerse myself into. Maybe I shouldn't learn a language for now, then?
>>52642794
Esperantists always blow the language's usefulness way out of proportion. It's honestly not very useful, and I'm from the country with the largest number of speakers.
>>
>>52642685

I'm not that guy, but I studied German for 6 months. It wasn't very difficult except for the case system. That shit is whack.

Plus German entertainment shouldn't even be called entertainment, and the only German speaker who would practice with me was a t*rk.

I'm much happier learning Korean, even though it is relatively more difficult.
>>
>>52641425
You may try to learn Turkic languages.
>>
>>52641425
>I tried Spanish for a month but I was bored out of my mind, I really couldn't feel the language, it was annoying. Sorry.

Portuguese and Spanish are the same language though. Just because they say bueno and you bem doesn't mean you're speaking different languages. 95% of the vocabulary is identical. Deal w/ it.
>>
>>52641425
English is the best for finding work dude.
>>
>>52643124
>Just because they say bueno and you bem
already made a mistake there m8
>>
>>52642985
It's like the Spanish poster above said, it's easier to learn when you have something to immerse yourself into. He's totally right.
>>52643064
But how would I immerse myself friend?
>>52643124
It's more different that nordic languages are amongst themselves. A better comparison would probably be with Galician.

I have no beef with Spanish or Spanish speakers themselves, it just wasn't for me I guess.
>>52643223
I already
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.