[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is America the Rome of our time? It's similarities are uncanny,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 300x300
Is America the Rome of our time? It's similarities are uncanny, tight down to its fall.
>>
The america don't conquer anything

(not officially at least)
>>
>>52397214
I wish we did
>>
>>52397214
actually we conquered Puerto Rico and the Philippines from the Spanish
>>
File: The future.jpg (101 KB, 800x863) Image search: [Google]
The future.jpg
101 KB, 800x863
>>52397114
America is just part 2 of the British Empire/Anglospere.
I'd say the West as a whole is the Rome of our time. And yeah, the Muslims are the Germans...
>>
File: 1450368405725.jpg (892 KB, 1000x976) Image search: [Google]
1450368405725.jpg
892 KB, 1000x976
No. No no no.
No.

We take almost nothing from Rome, everything we have essentially came from Anglo-Saxons. We never conquered and subjugated, we emigrated and genocided. Our parallels are barely skin deep, all we are really following is
>pic related.
>>
>>52397396
Holy fuck, our fall is soon.
>>
REMOVE SASSONIDS WHEN
>>
>>52397366
>the Muslims are the Germans...
how fitting
>>
>amerifats comparing themselves to glorious rome
Ajajajaja
>>
>>52397477
Yeah, it's fucking horrifying.
It's amazing how people just fall right in line with this stuff. Then again, it is part of what I think is a sensible cycle of
>nationalism
Leading to
>conservatism
Which breeds
>digress/anti-societal movement
Which brings
>hardship
Which makes people band together and now you have part 1
>>
>>52397396
>The Age of Decadence
we're well and truly fucked.

I have a theory the next Great Empire will be the pioneers who terraform planets in our solar system (probably Mars). They'll end up being the new America and us Earthlings will be like Europe.
>>
>>52397396
about fucking time it's collapsing
maybe we can start worrying about actual important shit now
>>
there are few parallels unless you're blinded by partisan views
lets start
>america is not "falling"
>rome was decadent at its peak at increasingly pious as its fell, and that is no coincidence- the christian church ruined rome's finances and increases insubordination
>http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm
>>52397396
retarded image, and wrong on many things like
>influx of foreigners
that would be ~1900, today's migrations are chump change compared to that

furthermore that image is not empirically supported, does not apply well to
>russian empire
>qing empire
>swedish empire
>polish-lithuanian commonwealth
>french empire

more common a reason for empires to failing to adhere to conservative principles this author is clearly peddling is a failure to adapt with time, e.g, adapt liberal principles
>>
>>52397256

Bought you mean, see the Treaty of Paris
>>
>>52397626
TFW this just makes me cling to my bible more
>>
>>52397839
Difference between immigrants now and then is that modern immigrants don't assimilate.
>>
>>52397908
Phillipenes was a colony in all but name, though
>>
>>52397839
America is objectively declining in relation to the world
>>
>>52397839
nice b8 m8

on a scale from 1 to the US national debt, how clueless are you?
>>
>>52397980
More like the west is, and the rest of the world waits like wolves.
>>
>>52397114
We aren't Empire mode, yet.
We're still in the Republic phase, we've already rebelled the foreign crown, now it's just time to go dictator.
>>
>>52397663
>Earthlings will be like Europe.
I now know true horror.
>>
>>52398065
>now it's just time to go dictator.

we Princeps now
>>
>>52397963
90% of Second gen Americans are native level fluency in English.
90% of 3rd gen Mexicans and other latinos can't fluently speak the native language of their grandparents.
Less than half of 2nd gen Asians can speak their parents' native language.
The US has no assimilation problems.
>>
>>52397114
Yes just not the Rome you think
It's mimicking the fall of the republic
Remember Rome fell multiple times
>>
>>52398015
nice debt meme dude
>>
>>52398461
>posts stats
>no source
Come on even /pol/ is better than this
>>
People that think america resembles Rome have no idea about Rome or America.
America is still going while Europe is the one stagnating.
If anything EU can be considered a paralel of Rome as it is multicultural entity of provinces. But unlike Rome it lacks any centralization.
The greatest blessing USA has is it's national identity and it's subsequent unity. And while that stands true I don't see the American superpower (not empire) fall.
>>
>>52398346
This is the future you chose. You'll be like Europe minus the nice architecture and good food.
>>
>>52398987
>it lacks any centralization.
>what is Germany
>>
>>52399020
EU lacks the powers of a state is what I mean.
It's "European Union", not "United Europe", just saying the second one get's my dick hard.
>>
>>52399154
>United Europe
Won't happen until all the individual cultures have been crushed and replaced with a new multicultural "European" identity (which is exactly what they're trying to do)
>>
>>52398461
A whole 10% of second generations aren't native in English? Fuck, I don't even speak English with any of my family and I'm native level. If this is true, that's a fucking huge number.
10% of third generations speaking their grandparents language fluently is pretty high too.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.