[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it true that in nowadays UK only people with elite family
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 6afpvRe.jpg (220 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
6afpvRe.jpg
220 KB, 560x560
is it true that in nowadays UK only people with elite family blood, educated in elite schools, etc can reach the summit of britain's society?
>>
Inshallah
>>
It's better than it used to be but to get into the top unis you either have to be a genius or have gone to public school (the one you pay a fortune for).
>>
I can tell you with absolute certainty it is not true that nowadays in the UK only people with elite family blood, educated in elite schools, etc can reach the summit of britain's society.

It has instead always been the case that in the UK only people with elite family blood, educated in elite schools, etc can reach the summit of britain's society.
>>
no you have to be a Arab oil tycoon or a Russian Jew that leeched russia of its wealth
>>
File: 7fe.png (30 KB, 514x352) Image search: [Google]
7fe.png
30 KB, 514x352
>>52296339
why effort doenst count in britain? what do people with talent but without noble family do?
>>
>>52296423
they come here
>>
>>52296274
tell me more about those public school

name the most famous ones
>>
>>52296423
>non-nobility can be talented
nice meme
>>
>nowadays
>>
>>52296177
Same as everyone else 2bh.
>>
>>52296423
People with talent can make something of themselves but they can't really scrape through to the highest echelons. It's not so much that there are actual barriers or attitudes stopping them, rather allegiances, historical ties, connections that create, I don't know, a glass ceiling type thing for the common man. It's not as if you have to be descended from X person with Y title to be eligible for something, but if you are not in the group which really decides who gets the best crumb then you will almostly certainly miss out.

A person in an elite family can get a relative to make a phone call and he will be guaranteed a job somewhere, a common person will have to work 40 hours a day, become some kind of exemplary super-human to get anywhere near the kind of consideration the person who went to the same public school as the son of the guy doing the recruiting.

You get people who went to private school, go to oxford, continue to mix with only well-position people, and basically take it upon themselves to lock out people who actually try hard. There are exceptions, people do sneak through and then promoted as examples to show 'look we're not actually elitist lel honest'

It's basically hundreds of years of a rigid class system that's left behind a social system which makes it VERY easy to form little nepotistic cults. I'm sure similar exists in other countries, people with power always want to pass it onto those they know in the end, I think we just accept it as a fact of life a little more over here.

t. butthurt pleb
>>
>>52296450
He means private schools
to get into the 'elite' UK unis (Oxford and Cambridge) you have to be seriously clever and you absolutely need to be good under pressure. They basically give you a few short interviews or an hour long interview to see how you do in your subject. There might be an entrance exam on the more demanding courses such as maths and physics. Other universities are just as good for most subjects or even better (e.g. Warwick or Durham for maths) but... Oxford and Cambridge are known as the best of the best of the universities- if you get in there, you're guaranteed a well paying job and a professor position at practically any other uni you want in the world. Of course other UK universities provide an equal education but there are far less job opportunities. If you don't get in for an undergrad degree to oxbridge you need to seriously pull your weight if you want to get in there postgraduate.
>>
It is Thatcherism's legacy
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.