[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Putting aside national bias, which variant of English language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5
Putting aside national bias, which variant of English language spelling do you think is better?
>>
>>52258634
Canadian
>>
is it really the banque

this chart is not objective
>>
>>52258634
The American spelling is a bit more """phonetic""", that's why i like it
>>
>Banque

WHAT
>>
American
>>
>>52258634
Do Americans say "dreamed" with a -ed sound? I prefer the -t variant because of the sound.

Personally I like the look of British English more, but some of the American English words are more straightforward to write.

Also:
>Banque
I've never seen this before in my life.
>>
>>52258634
american
>>
>>52258850
I think both are used, this chart probably isn't accurate
>>
>ENSE vs. ENCE

Do Americans spell "fence" or with an S? Yeah that's what I thought.

yanks: 0
Great Britain: 1
>>
>>52258634
We use British here, but American is more simplified so most people who speak English as a second language use it.
>>
What the hell's a checker/chequer? Like, a bank teller or a cashier?
>>
we use a hybrid but mainly british here
>>
>>52258996
You guys use color instead of colour, don't you?
>>
>>52259022
No.
>>
>>52258634
I had no idea about this, but now that I get to see it, i think British spelling is better. It looks more elegant.
>>
Whomever created this chart is misinformed.
There are many inaccuracies on it.
>>
>>52259059
Made by an American, no doubt.
>>
File: thisthing.png (4 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
thisthing.png
4 KB, 900x675
>>52258975
no it's a pattern of black boxes and white boxes
>>
>>52258966
>most people who speak English as a second language use it.

This isn't true. The whole of Europe is taught regular English. It's pretty much only Japan that uses American in school.
>>
>>52259089
From the context, it's obviously not that.
>>
>>52258634
American.

Fewer pointless letters a.k.a less French influence.
>>
>>52258634
ENCE, ER, OUR, American common words except speciality, T, K except cheque, ISE, L, OGUE.
>>
>>52259082
A lot of the inaccuracies are on the American side. Nobody writes "practise" here.
>>
>>52259109
If /int/ is any indication, most of Europeans use American spelling. That goes up to 100% when they are criticising American culture/politics/anything.
>>
>>52259022
>>
Canadian, my bros
>>
A British-leaning hybrid is the correct answer.
>>
>>52259111
what!!!!

pls who said those words had semantic connection?
>>
>>52259140
There are many on the British side as well.
In fact, no one should even read that chart because it's quite frankly, a load of bollocks.
>>
File: context.png (31 KB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
context.png
31 KB, 160x120
>>52259225
>pls who said those words had semantic connection?
...Context did?
>>
>>52258634
>that false equivalence in the ense vs ence bit
>banque

triggered
>>
>>52259272
pffft look at the other boxes

the first 2 are literally and metaphorically coincidences
>>
File: Ig23Gu5[1].gif (3 MB, 389x279) Image search: [Google]
Ig23Gu5[1].gif
3 MB, 389x279
>banque
>>
>>52259143
They just using Firefox spell check or some shit
>>
>>52259307
Maybe it's not a coincidence at all, maybe it's simply a coincidence none of the others did.

But I wouldn't call it a checker pattern, I've only ever heard it called a check pattern.
>>
>>52259425
>checker pattern
>check pattern
differnt patterns btw

fine there is a connection but it's not related to the spelling

the british gobmint has an office that deals with money it is name after the pattern from the table the use
>>
>>52259485
named* after ...table they*
>>
>>52259485
>the british gobmint has an office that deals with money it is name after the pattern from the table the use
That's the exchequer.
>>
>>52259362
That's an hypercorrection.
UK English uses French-looking words therefore I should assume they do it all the time.
>>
>>52258634
And then there's Canadian, which is a mixture of both.
>>
>>52258634
British is best tbf
>>
>neighbor

wait what really?
>>
This is why I'll never be able to write English well! As a non native I have no idea what's British and what's American.
>>
>>52259685
It it feels wrong or dumbed-down, that's American.
>>
>>52259685
British is french, american is ebonic.
>inb4 what's the difference
>>
>>52259719
>>52259738
cucks
>>
>>52259758
Nigger.
>>
>>52259685
American is simplified version, for mentally challenged.
>>
>>52259685
If it looks french, it is british
>>
>>52258634
I use a mix of both but generally tend to stick to the British version.
>>
>>52259849
the only difference?
>>
>>52258634
>>52258915
-ize and -ise are both accepted in BE.
-ed and -t are both accepted in BE.
Practice and licence are spelt with an s when used as verbs in BE.
Banque is not used as a word outside French.
>>
>>52258936
Do you spell 'sense' with a C?
Also
>Using seppo quotation marks
>>
>>52258996
>hybrid
No.
Just your cuck 'Labor' party.
>>
>>52258634
meter
metre
are different words and mean different things
>>
>>52258634

Pre2000 spelling difference mostly came from spelling reform in America to make it somewhat more logical.

Also "Learnt vs Learned" stuff is a matter of word choice, not a spelling difference.
>>
>>52260373
In BE yes.
>>
>>52259738
so they're both cucked
>>
>>52258634
British spelling.
But
>banque
>chequer
???
>>
>>52258634
I think it's perfectly fine to use a bit of both. Some words look better in writing written with the American spelling, and some look better with the British spelling.
>>
>>52259685
If its retarded its american
>>
>>52262919
Having more phonetically and etymologically correct spelling is retarded?
>>
>>52263009
But yours is less phonetic
>>
American is clearly better in that it's more phonetic and less faggy
>>
>>52263038
Literally how? You don't pronounce "er", you write it as "re" which is NEVER pronounced that way, the non-American influenced spelling of "ise" is both phonetically and etymologically inferior to "ize", "o" is better that "ou" etymologically and is closer phonetically (not perfect though since most vowels lose contrast before r at the end of a word), you have a preference to the French "gue" ending rather than just the straightforward and etymological "g", you pronounce "ae" and "oe" as "I" in many Greek word, you needlessly add "me" to "program", etc etc. Shall I go on?
>>
>>52263372
>er/re
This one america wins
>ize/ise
Its an s sound, theres no reason to spell it with a z, that absoloutely retarded
>o/ou
ou is phonetically nearer but o is more consistent
>g/gue
Americans wont get this because they dont drop gs at the end of their words
>you pronounce "ae" and "oe" as "I" in many Greek word
I have literally no idea what you are talking about
>you needlessly add "me" to "program"
Whats that thing called again where you add vowel sounds to the end of words?
>>
>>52263517
>ou is phonetically nearer but o is more consistent

Actually thinking about the difference between colour and terror, ou is more consistent if anything
>>
>>52263517
>Its an s sound, theres no reason to spell it with a z, that absoloutely retarded
You pronounce "analyse" (since yze/ise same rules) and "advertise" with a final s sound, not z? Are you serious?

>I have literally no idea what you are talking about
"paedophile"

>Whats that thing called again where you add vowel sounds to the end of words?
The difference there is a widely used version that doesn't add e at the end, yet you still choose the worse spelling. Even worse, you DO use "program" in some cases (computers), but not all, which is inconsistent. The same applies with "g" vs "gue".

>>52263561
Both of those have the same vowel before the r (at least in American English and etymologically), so I don't see your point
>>
>>52263910
>You pronounce "analyse" (since yze/ise same rules) and "advertise" with a final s sound, not z? Are you serious?

Yes, just like other people do here

>"paedophile"

Yes ae and oe are pronounced certain ways in british english which are more consistent than how americans pronounce e

>The difference there is a widely used version that doesn't add e at the end, yet you still choose the worse spelling. Even worse, you DO use "program" in some cases (computers), but not all, which is inconsistent. The same applies with "g" vs "gue".

First of all you havent proved why the 'worse spelling' is worse, and then youve gone on about something that isnt even true as if it were fact. Nice one m8
>>
>>52264216
>Yes, just like other people do here
Well, in American English, it is pronounced with a z and that is better etymologically.

>Yes ae and oe are pronounced certain ways in british english which are more consistent than how americans pronounce e
Elaborate. You seem to be goalpost shifting to a discussion about written "e" rather than "ae" or "oe" (unless you are doing so because some English words with "e" have a "ae" or "oe" counterpart, and these are the "e"s you are talking about, not all e's)

>First of all you havent proved why the 'worse spelling' is worse,
It is worse because it is not as phonetic. Obviously the spelling "program" from a logical standpoint is more phonetically spelled than "programme", which has a redundant m and a silent e. Not to mention "program" is better etymologically. I shouldn't hand to handhold you through the logic.

>and then youve gone on about something that isnt even true as if it were fact. Nice one m8
What am I wrong about according to you?
>>
>>52264565
shouldn't have*
>>
>>52264565
>Well, in American English, it is pronounced with a z and that is better etymologically.

Okay if you say so

>Elaborate. You seem to be goalpost shifting to a discussion about written "e" rather than "ae" or "oe" (unless you are doing so because some English words with "e" have a "ae" or "oe" counterpart, and these are the "e"s you are talking about, not all e's)

Well first of all whatever it is in Greek is irrelevent. Second of all Im clearly comparing e to ae and oe

>It is worse because it is not as phonetic. Obviously the spelling "program" from a logical standpoint is more phonetically spelled than "programme", which has a redundant m and a silent e. Not to mention "program" is better etymologically. I shouldn't hand to handhold you through the logic.

There is no logic in your argument, its either worse one way because its 'etymologically' worse (which no one cares about and which I am not talking about) or its worse because its magically not phonetic when it clearly is. And even when there are silent letters in it theyre in it for the same reason that theres a silent letter in the word 'rate', because thats how english modifies vowel sounds. In this case it is modifying it as 'program' is a different word thats pronounced differently and has a different meaning. I should have to educate you on your own language.

>What am I wrong about according to you?

Saying things arent phonetic even when the word or letters are clearly completely phonetic such as 'ise'. You also for some incomprehensible reason assumed that 's' was pronounced as 'z'
>>
>>52264216
So the last syllable of "analyse" sound like "lice", not "lies"?
>>
>>52264948
Do you know how english works at all? y is used there because it shortens the sound; its pronounce LIES and not LIEZ or LICE. If it were spelt analise you might have a point.
>>
>>52265040
*pronounced
>>
>>52263561
>>52263910
They pronounce color and terror differently than we do you guys. From what I've gathered the Bongs pronounce the last syllable (-lour, -er) of those words differently, whereas we pronounce them more or less the same. Kull-er vs ter-er
>>
>>52264903
>Second of all Im clearly comparing e to ae and oe
Okay, so elaborate. What did you mean about the British pronunciation being more consistent?

>There is no logic in your argument, its either worse one way because its 'etymologically' worse (which no one cares about and which I am not talking about)
If we are talking about better spellings, etymologically-close ones are among the ways to evaluate that.

>or its worse because its magically not phonetic when it clearly is. And even when there are silent letters in it theyre in it for the same reason that theres a silent letter in the word 'rate', because thats how english modifies vowel sounds.
I'm aware, but as I said the dirrence is that straightforwardly "program" is a better spelling than "programme" due to 1-to-1 sound corespndance. It is one of the few cases were there is a version without the redundant letters, yet you still choose the worse of the two. If "rate" ever got a spelling as "reit" and that become common in a region, that would be a better spelling to adopt than "rate".

>In this case it is modifying it as 'program' is a different word thats pronounced differently and has a different meaning.
First of all, it is fundementally the same word, but has had a technical specialized meaning development. An "array" of cards the same word as an orbital "array", just that the word also developed a specialized sense. In any case, you don't give a different spelling for each meaning of a word. Secondly, you pronounce "program" and "programme" differently?

>You also for some incomprehensible reason assumed that 's' was pronounced as 'z'
It is incomprehensible that we pronounce as z? That blows your mind?
>>
>>52265040
Not that guy (I'm the other guy you are talking with), but you just contradicted yourself. Earlier I asked you if you pronounced "analyse" with a z sound and you said no, you use an s sound (>>52264216), but here you are saying the last syllable is like "lies", which has a z sound at the end.

And I just check the RP rules, so I know "lies" has a z sound also in RP
>>
File: 1445823661854.jpg (28 KB, 307x462) Image search: [Google]
1445823661854.jpg
28 KB, 307x462
>>52258634
>Banque
>>
>>52265445
>Okay, so elaborate. What did you mean about the British pronunciation being more consistent?

Compare pedo and paedo to pedometer

>If we are talking about better spellings, etymologically-close ones are among the ways to evaluate that.

Thats a very weak way to evaluate the spelling of something compared to staying within the rules of spelling or being phonetic.

>I'm aware, but as I said the dirrence is that straightforwardly "program" is a better spelling than "programme" due to 1-to-1 sound corespndance. It is one of the few cases were there is a version without the redundant letters, yet you still choose the worse of the two. If "rate" ever got a spelling as "reit" and that become common in a region, that would be a better spelling to adopt than "rate".

Because as I said there is already a 'program' that isnt pro-gram, and so is spelt and pronounced differently. The apparently redundant words in programme are to indicate its a different word with longer vowels.

>First of all, it is fundementally the same word, but has had a technical specialized meaning development. An "array" of cards the same word as an orbital "array", just that the word also developed a specialized sense. In any case, you don't give a different spelling for each meaning of a word.

Its not fundementally the same word, one is a sort of word for a syllabus and the other is to do with scheduling.

>Secondly, you pronounce "program" and "programme" differently?

program and programme are different words with different meanings. The pro is a prefix on one of them Im sure as well which changes the pronounciation even when the hyphen is omitted

>It is incomprehensible that we pronounce as z? That blows your mind?

You assumed that british people pronounced it as 'z'. Are you british? Am I talking about you?

>>52265615
It isnt a 'z' sound in lies unless its only specifically RP that has that as it has some weird rules. I know for certain other accents dont
>>
>>52258768
>2015
>not cashing your cheques at the banque
>>
I couldn't really care less about spelling. I'm building websites at the moment and have engaged US spell checker as it's not specifically an English site and I guess it's more common.

However since nobody else has pointed it out:

WHISKY = Scottish Whisky or """""Scotch"""""
WHISKEY = Irish Shit

Since this is a noun Americans are objectively spelling it wrong.
>>
>>52266863
>2015
>Still cashing """checks""" at the bank and not using instant, free online transfers.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.