[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>his language has diacritics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: img_16451.jpg (794 KB, 2816x2112) Image search: [Google]
img_16451.jpg
794 KB, 2816x2112
>his language has diacritics
>>
>>52203612
I literally don't know the point of these.

It feels like only English keeps the true raw alphabet, everyone else has to add little funny marks and shit all over the letters
>>
it helps in propagation of proper pronunciation

english lacks to its detriment
>>
>>52203644
Béçâüsè Englïsh ässümés thÂt yöû ärè nôt rètârdéd.
>>
>>52203612
>reddit, the image
off yourself
>>
>>52203644

Ever seen a non-native English speaker struggling to pronounce words? That's why other languages have diacritics.

>trough
>bough
>through
>rough
>ought
>>
>>52203653
That's why we laugh at people who mispronounce things. A little public shaming goes a long way.

Sadly, we seem to be forgetting this.
>>
>>52203653
>detriment

If it truly was a detriment I wouldn't be able to read what you're saying

It's more like a handicap for the challenged
>>
>>52203692
nah ,fuck off guy
>not having diacritics
>>
>>52203743
What a meme, if you don't know how to pronounce these, you truly have no place learning English

>>52203761
t. Mike Wazowski
>>
>>52203612
irish diacritics are pretty based. they distinguish long vowels from short and, in the old script, made the letter h mostly unnecessary
>>
>>52203751
>>52203756
it's not about mispronunciation it's standardization

english of course has of that built in but there is a variation on stress that has no way of learning other than listening to other people

those that do have these marks alleviate some ambiguity
>>
>>52203743
But those words are really obvious, you pronounce them just like

>cough
>though
>slough
>enough
>caught

Any retard can figure this out, you don't need fancy marks all over the letters to tell you that
>>
>>52203743
>unfortunatelly
>uncomfortable
>temperature
etc
>>
File: What The Fuck Am I Reading w.png (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
What The Fuck Am I Reading w.png
13 KB, 400x400
>>52203792

>if you don't know how to pronounce these, you truly have no place learning English

>person doesn't know how to speak a language
>therefore they have no place learning said language
>>
>>52203886
some of that*
>>
>>52203889
>cough pronounced koff
>though pronounced ðoú
>slough pronouced sloú
>enough pronounced ínaf
>caught pronounced cot
lmao
>>
baí ðe weí, aí fulí suport inglish orþografik reform
>>
>>52203974

>caught pronounced cot

We pronounce it as 'kort' in my area.
>>
>>52203974
>slough pronounced slou

It's pronounced sloff, you dingus
>>
>>52204026
Ah, werl ya see thar, thart's whart we call ta intrusive English r.
>>
>>52204026
im going by how it is most widely accepted as being pronounced "properly".
>>52204032
are you meneing? becqause if not, thats another example of just how shit english orthography is: not even a native speaker can read sometimes
>>
>>52204032
>slough
Eat shit you mouth breathing mongoloid sack of retarded inbred feces

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slough
>>
File: stephen-harper.jpg (133 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
stephen-harper.jpg
133 KB, 620x465
>there are "english"-speakers who think mary, merry, and marry sound the same
>>
>>52204081
>>52204082
>are you meneing?
>http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slough

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/slough
>>
well, english sort of has one, it has a stress pattern for accents
>>
>>52204084
well obviously not
im going to make a general called /orþ/ which attempts to reform english orthography
>>
>>52204032

Unless it's referring to the town in Berkshire, in which case it's this;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/En-uk-Slough.ogg

>>52204126

Sounds good. First things first we bring back Þ (thorn) because th should not make the sound it does and should have it's own letter.
>>
>>52203612
Turkish is supposed to have diactirics but since the founders of our country were such rebel they decided not to use it. For example "kar" means snow in Turkish and "kâr" means profit but in official writings it's always written as "kar".

Even our goverment doesnt know it's langauge right that they are recently correcting a erratum in our id cards and they didnt notice it since decades can you believe it. This country truly must be a meme
>>
>>52203974
the same words in my language:
>kaszel pronounced kush-al
>chociaż pronounced hoseeush xD
>trzęsawisko pronounced tshance-uviskoh
>wystarczająco pronounced vistarrr-chuy-oncoh
>złapany pronounced zoo-up-uny
enjoy rly
>>
File: 1446238203002.jpg (106 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1446238203002.jpg
106 KB, 450x450
>he has to memorize the pronunciation for every individual word due to the lack of diacritics
>>
>>52204084
They are the same though
>>
>>52204231
If you're a pleb.

Otherwise, they are:

Mairy
Meh-ry
Maa-ry
>>
Why is the i silent in 'business'?
>>
>>52204084
>mayray
>maury
>mar'ry
>>
>>52204305
If you say business enough times fast enough the i casually drops out.

Bizness is a distinct enough word on its own for the i to not be needed for clarity in pronunciation, and so because it's much easier to say Bizness, business lost the i in even formal pronunciation over time.
>>
>>52204226
>memorizing the pronunciation of words of the mother tongue
wut?
>>
You either diacritic or live long enough to see yourself become the mispronounciation.
>>
>>52203612
Pork /'pɔ:k/
Work /'wɜ:k/
JUST
>>
>>52204562
I actually never realized they weren't pronounced the same

I guess spelling influenced me mentally and made me think they were even though I don't pronounce them the same
>>
Remember the standard Latin set has only 23 letters, raised to 26 in the Middle Ages, and most languages using it have far more sounds than just 26. Then you need diacritics, digraphs or more letters for the leftover sounds.

Also, Latin didn't give a shit for stress, but most languages using Latin alphabet do; diacritics are also useful for that.
>>
>>52204700
http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2011/12/23/english-pronunciation/

This is obviously cherrypicked, but the fact that you can't properly pronounce a word you didn't know before hand kills us poor english learners
>>
>>52204756
Most English speakers would even tell you they are pronounced the same if asked but then wonder why you sound weird when you pronounce either pork or work slightly wrong
>>
mi papa tiene 47 anos
>>
the worst are these ones which are verb/noun depending of an accent
ayy e.g. the content, to content and a content something. why the fck u don't use diacritics to tell them apart
>>
>>52204947
I don't understand what you're saying
Content is actually pronounced the way it's spelled
>>
>>52205003
>Content is actually pronounced the way it's spelled
Say "I want to house a cat and give it a house" and check how the verb and the noun do sound differently.
>>
>>52205039
House is pronounced the same as both a verb and noun
>>
>>52205091
No it isn't.
>>
>>52205003
'content' has at least 2 different accents depending of its meaning. many languages use diacritics to mark an accent, because a reading is simpler then
>>
>>52205091
Nope.
It's pronounced with /s/ in the noun and /z/ in the verb. So it's more like "I want to houz a cat and give it a hous".
>>
>>52205113
Yeah it is
>>
>>52205131
That's not true though, it's pronounced with an s in both
>>
>>52203741
There is nothing wrong with Reddit.
>>
>>52203919
polock can't handle the banter
>>
>>52204293
hmmm...i live right on the PA/NJ border. To me, Mary and merry are the same, having the same sound as "ay" in "slay". Marry has the "a" as in "apple" sound. Am i a retard :^) ?
>>
>>52205162
Seriously. Record yourself saying that and listen to yourself. Odds are that YES, you WILL pronounce both differently, and YES, the last sound in both "to house" and "a house" WILL be different.

Or even, here, for you:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File%3Aen-us-house-noun.ogg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File%3Aen-us-house-verb.ogg

Next "let me tell you how to speak your own language": the T in "still" and the T in "till" sound completely different.
>>
>>52205287
>Odds are that YES, you WILL pronounce both differently,
I pronounce them the same tho
>>
>>52205329
>http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2011/12/23/english-pronunciation/
"to house" has almost a 'z' sound at the end, like "to houze"
"a house" has the standard 's'
have you not heard this before? i don't know if it's regional or anything but i get what that brazilian is saying
>>
>>52205501
Well, it's not like I get the opportunity to say I house something often, but instinctively if I say it outloud I say it like house would be as a noun
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.