[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Washington DC like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: DC.jpg (887 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
DC.jpg
887 KB, 2000x1333
What is Washington DC like?
>>
>>52156248
Terrible place to live, like all capital cities.
>>
Pretty good as gentrification is pushing out all the niggers to Virginia and Maryland.
>>
>>52156248
sucks.
>>
>>52156248
From what I gather, it's cold as fuck in winter and humid as fuck in summer
nigs everywhere
bad traffic
expensive rent
>>
>>52156248
full of bureaucrats. somewhat pleasant architecture, at the cost of a centralised core, urban sprawl is out of control due to planning restrictions and height limits. worth a visit I guess, but there are much more interesting cities in the region.
>>
Overall its one of the poorest and most dangerous cities in America. It's very segregated though so the politics workers, university students, and tourists never have to engage with the poor black areas.
>>
>hot as fuck
>expensive
>filled with niggers, africans and central americans
>surveillance everywhere
>crime ridden
>prime target for nuclear terrorism
>2% muslim, highest of any major city
>soldiers eveywhere

BUT
>getting white rapidly because of gentrification from new england
>baller restaraunts
>beautiful architecture, lots of tourism value
>metro is pretty scenic
>>
>>52156449
Just be happy it's not Canberra
>>
>>52156513
DC is literally majority black.
>>
>>52156449
I thought it was getting blacker because they were coming from Baltimore
>>
Surprising hearing it is poor as full of black people, I imagine it would be a rich but a bit boring city desu.
>>
>>52156538
>being racist
>>
>>52156248
I live in a small city just outside of it. The suburban areas nearby are often very very rich compared to the rest of the country. The city itself has nice parts and not-so-nice parts. The Anacostia and Potomac rivers are filthy in a lot of parts. The roads are interestingly designed and wide but can be a clusterfuck to navigate. The museums are amazing (free to enter because a rich man left a massive amount of money in a grant and the government puts in public funds) so if you ever visit, make sure to see them. The Anacostia neighborhood and other poor black neighborhoods are often dangerous and run down though. On the other hand there's Georgetown and some older parts of the city, which are beautiful and have a sort of je ne sais quoi Old World beauty. The cherry blossom festival in Springtime is gorgeous if you can tolerate a mob of Chinese tourists. If you're into classical music or performing arts or the arts in general there are lots of galleries and concert opportunities. Metro system there sucks though and is notorious for bad timing, crowds, and occasional snafus with machinery. Driving in from outside town can be terrible. It's not a long distance but can take hours if traffic is bad. The scenery is really nice at some areas and the Federal-style classical architecture is gorgeous. There are plenty of places to get good food if you don't mind sandwiches, but there are still many international restaurants.
Tb.h it's not an AMAZING city but there are definitely parts of it that are worth seeing. Best time to come is probably Spring or Autumn, seeing as summers are very hot and humid and winters can have unexpected cold snaps of like 20 degrees Fahrenheit with lots of ice.
>>
>>52156644
Oh no, it's rich.
If it were it's own country DC would have higher per capita incomes then any nation.
It's just has a lot of poverty, usually segregated from the expansive rich part of the city.
When I went to the National Mall last year I noticed a massive wire fence(possibly 20 feet high) that blocked the poor-looking row houses from the center of the city. And I saw it from the other side of the fence as I was coming out of the metro stairs.
Felt depressing.

>>52156666
>being australian
>>
>>52156835
>being American
>>
>>52156886
>being Chinese
>>
Like the nicer parts of Johannesburg
>>
>>52156644

Parts of it can be, like the area around east capitol and all that.i havent been nearly long enough to make a full judgement for myself, but there are sleepy dull parts to DC.
>>
>>52156999
kek
>>
there are poles erected periodically along the highways with mounts shining indigo lights into your car as you drive by

you enter the metro system by taking an escalator fuckin deeper than Cheyenne mountain for about 10 minutes, it opens up into a cavernous bomb shelter covered in concrete grids, its commie tier

all the museums are good; all of them, even the holocaust museum

its expensive, soulless, but is not without its charms
>>
>All those chinese stands that sell the same thing
>One stand of sweaters and shirts will be next to a food stand which will be next to a stand selling the exact same shirts and sweaters, and so on
>Smithsonians are nice, nice architecture
>Hot in summer, never been during winter
>So many nigs
>Vietnam vets
>Cops occasionally telling you to be careful with your personal belongings on metro
>Metro is always full
>>
>>52156248
>Britbong
You could probably spend about 5 minutes outside or in a non air conditioned area during the summer. And homeless people will try to sell you tiny bottles of water for ridiculous prices in the national mall.
>>
>>52156449
What's wrong with surveillance and soldiers?
>>
File: DC.jpg (461 KB, 2680x1120) Image search: [Google]
DC.jpg
461 KB, 2680x1120
>>
>>52159737
The soldiers tend to carry around their guns everywhere. 0/10 experience I just wanted to enjoy my god damn burger and not worry about being shot
>>
I moved to DC almost a year ago, so here's my experience from everyday-living as opposed to the nice touristy areas:

Traffic is shit.
Most of the population is mexican or middle-eastern and just flat out rude.
Stores are gross and always packed.
Nobody can drive correctly.
Parking lots are always full.
Everything costs more.
You spend a lot of time sitting on the road wondering why traffic isn't moving.
>>
>>52159900
Oh and one last remark, a shitty apartment or a tiny house near D.C. will cost about the same as a giant 5 bedroom mansion anywhere else in Virginia. Whoopdeefuckingdoo.
>>
File: EFFORT.jpg (1 MB, 1552x2152) Image search: [Google]
EFFORT.jpg
1 MB, 1552x2152
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.