[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think your language is the most unique in the world and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 443x332
Do you think your language is the most unique in the world and impossible for foreigners to speak flawlessly?
>>
>Hokkien
impossible to speak flawlessly for foreigners and mandarin-only speakers
>>
No

I'm not a chink, "gaijins" can (almost) understand my language
>>
>>52123568
Is it possible to speak French flawlessly for foreigners?
>>
>>52123530
>Hokkien

I've heard legends about Hokkien; that only few have ever mastered it.
>>
>>52123590
Flawlessly ? I don't know...
>>
>>52123604
In Mainland China, Hokkien has plenty of dialects.
>one Hokkien dialect per village, sometimes
also, the tone differences are very subtle

>>52123655
You haven't heard foreigners speak French?
>do they have hilarious accent while speaking French
>>
>>52123530
>impossible to speak flawlessly for foreigners
that's every language
>>
>>52123883
plenty of foreigners speak mandarin flawlessly
>>
>>52123883
I hear some Scandinavian speak flawless English
>>
>>52123883
If one moves to USA and permanently lives there, isn't it possible?
>>
>>52123830
It's possible to learn to speak French flawlessly. It's just long to, as it would be for any given language.
>>
>>52123963
nah, there's always an accent

>>52123965
no
>>
>>52123530
Isn't chinese people having difficulty speak R or it's just some people.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>52124003
you can distinguish the differences even they have lived in America for many years?
>>
>>52124007
R? trilling R is impossible for average Mandarin speakers
> I can
>>
>>52124036
lol yes, just because english is easy doesnt mean youre going to lose your accent even if it's just a hint of it.

this is assuming of course flawless means native accent, if it means no mistakes than yes foreigners can speak flawless english
>>
>>52124082
>Collocations and Phrasal Verbs
Aren't they difficult?
>two of the reasons that foragers cannot speak flawless English
>>
>>52124192
dude i have no idea, im a native speaker. i dont think about grammar that way it just 'feels' right to me.

do you think that way about how you construct a sentence in Hokkien? or does the sentence just feel right and you construct it naturally?
>>
>>52124289
I learned it by listening and asking.
>still not very well
>>
>>52124359
Some foreigners cannot speak flawlessly a language because they'll end up thinking their speech is good enough at some point.
Why would you invest more time and try to perfect the accent if anyone can understand you perfectly already?
>>
>>52124647
>Why would I invest more time?
Proper pronunciation is part of language learning, I spend more time to perfect it.
>>
>>52124926
This. Master pronunciation before anything else, and use IPA to start with single phonemes, then words and then complete sentences. Record sentences and match them up with native audio until yours is almost flawless. Proper pronunciation also helps a lot with listening.
>>
>>52123963
genuinly been mistaken for a native speaker by both brits and americans

this is impossible according to anglos on 4chan though
>>
File: assburger general.jpg (100 KB, 866x597) Image search: [Google]
assburger general.jpg
100 KB, 866x597
>>52124015
No. I think most ppl are just lazy.
>>
>>52124926
For example, if you have a Scandinavian accent, but have more vocabulary, and a better grammar than someone born in UK or in America, but you use a slightly harder "r" sound, yet softer than a Scottish "r" that no one except a speech therapist would make out (literally the only thing giving away you're not a native Brit or American), why would you try to correct it? Most people wouldn't.
On another note, It's funny yet slightly irritating when an American is correcting me on my French.
>>
>>52125101
the most difficult part for me is stress rules
for example
>infamous
I pronounced 'in' as the preposition with no change of 'famous'

I really have no idea about it
>>
>>52125276
>you use a slightly harder "r" sound
Isn't it noticeable?

>maybe they would speak flawless French
>>
>>52125288
That's why you need to use IPA that indicates stress. There is a language learning program made by an American living in Taiwan. Check this out, it contains 3000 English sentences with native audio and IPA that indicates stress.

https://glossika.com/courses/fluency123/american-english
>>
>>52125442
>>52125288
Sorry, I posted the wrong one. It's the American business English one.

https://glossika.com/courses/business_intro/american-english#&gid=1&pid=6

https://glossika.com/courses/business_intro/american-english
>>
>>52125394
Not necessarily. Take the States, in any given region, they'll have their accent. If a Texan were to acquire a New Yorker's accent safe for the pronunciation of a consonant, no one would care and hardly anyone would notice.
>>
>>52123347
It is so unique that it isn't even in that pic.
>>
>>52123347
no but probably top 5 if not top 3 of languages with more than ~1M speakers
>>
>>52125394
To improve, you'll have to practise reading and repeating phrases and speeches in your target language and accent until you get the tone right. Not only the stress, but the height, length and intensity.
>>
Everyone just says "my language is le hardest" to appear cool.
>>
>>52124003
>nah, there's always an accent
Not true. I work with a Norwegian girl and her English is perfect. I didn't know she wasn't American until someone told me.
>>
>>52124003
Plenty of people have spoken their second language long enough for their accent to disappear.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.