[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
REMOTE WORLD OUTPOSTS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 16
File: okek.png (102 KB, 1430x695) Image search: [Google]
okek.png
102 KB, 1430x695
>tfw my autistic list of historical occupations of remote clay is almost complete

It's almost done lads. It's so close, I'll talk about it.

Antarctica, New Zealand, Russia and USA have various clays with remote, little-known outposts "capitals" sometimes, and I've been cataloging their names. They are simply the main places where people have lived, and do live today.

In yellow are places not permanently inhabited today, but a little history about what's happened there.

Russia famously used Novaya Zemlya (not shown here) for their nuclear testing. we also used Johnston Atoll and ofc Bikini atoll for testing.

France has also used part of French Polynesia for nuclear testing.

Russia is currently enhancing its position in the Arctic, rebuilding many bases such as Nagurskoye.

Meanwhile, the only thing on Peter I island is an automated weather station in the northwest.
>>
File: 2006-Nitsche_Frank-537.preview.jpg (24 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2006-Nitsche_Frank-537.preview.jpg
24 KB, 640x480
Here we see Norway's Automated Weather Station on Peter I Island, near Antarctica. This island is also subject to the Antartctic Treaty.
>>
File: dsc_5086.jpg (107 KB, 570x378) Image search: [Google]
dsc_5086.jpg
107 KB, 570x378
Meanwhile, half a world away, we have Golomyanniy Weather Station in Severnaya Zemlya, Russia. It has operated since 1954.
>>
File: 72624615.jpg (146 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
72624615.jpg
146 KB, 1024x683
Or, west of Colombia in the Pacific is their barren Malpelo Island. It has one tiny army base.
>>
File: TX5K_short_album_18.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
TX5K_short_album_18.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
In France's Clipperton Island is just one large rock formation where there is supposed to have been a lighthouse - but I have not been able to see this lighthouse (phare in the French, I learned) in modern photos.

Clipperton suffered a romantic tragedy a century ago. There was a guano (literal shit) mine, and Mexico literally forgot about the island and stopped supplying them. All the men died of scurvy etc except for the crazy lighthouse keeper, who apparently had a lighthouse on this rock even though I can't see it, and he took over the island and raped and brutalized the women for a few years. Eventually they managed to kill him and were saved by an American ship, who kept the story to themselves so that the women would not be charged with murder (men still white-knighted in those days).

There is a very similar story from the Russian arctic, I think it may have been on Wrangel island. A leader showed up and became a real tyrant, but this was typical of USSR at the time of course, so there was nothing new there.
>>
File: Nagurskoe.jpg (30 KB, 600x392) Image search: [Google]
Nagurskoe.jpg
30 KB, 600x392
This is Russia's recently refurbished "Nagurskoye" station in Franz Josef land. It is near the northwest of that territory, so not far from Svalbard.

I am very interested to know how the other Russian arctic stations will develop, or what their names will be.
>>
Genuinely good thread.
>>
Do Rockall please

>Lord Kennet said of it in 1971, "There can be no place more desolate, despairing and awful."[6] It gives its name to one of the sea areas named in the shipping forecast provided by the British Meteorological Office.

>Rockall has been a point of interest for adventurers and amateur radio operators who have variously landed on or briefly occupied the islet. Fewer than 20 individuals have ever been confirmed to have landed on Rockall, and the longest continuous stay by an individual is currently 45 days.[7] In a House of Commons debate in 1971, William Ross, MP for Kilmarnock, said: "More people have landed on the moon than have landed on Rockall."[6]

>In 1956 the British scientist James Fisher referred to the island as "the most isolated small rock in the oceans of the world".[8]
>>
>>52107739

Yes; as you can see in my OP image I have even accounted for its brief occupancy. A Briton very recently stayed on that heap of bird-shit :^) for not quite two months.

I assume that he was Scottish, but I will let you confirm or deny this. As we all know, Rockall is part of Scotland.
>>
File: IMRAY(1884)_p0231_ROCKALL[1].jpg (478 KB, 981x852) Image search: [Google]
IMRAY(1884)_p0231_ROCKALL[1].jpg
478 KB, 981x852
>>52107849
Sorry OP I didn't see it on your table

Rockall is in my opinion the best isolated rock
>>
File: tromelin.jpg (87 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
tromelin.jpg
87 KB, 500x333
But I also have a question of the French: What are the names of the principal bases of the Iles Esparses?

Here we have the signpost of Tromelin Station, on the side near Reunion. It is base "Serge Frolow"...
>>
>>52107739
Looks like a literal shitty version of Balls pyramid.
>>
>>52107942
Fuck off you cunt
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (317 KB, 1280x851) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
317 KB, 1280x851
>>52107942

Ball's Pyramid does deserve honorable mention as the most EVIL looking islet on Earth. This is where Dr. Evil, Lord Humongous, the bad guy from Waterworld... they all live here. It is also where the Lord Howe stick insect was saved from extinction.

But I did not focus upon this because it is associated with a permanently populated area. Is it true that the /village/ there is also called Lord Howe? I seem to remember that in a postal address of a resort.
>>
...but I would prefer to have a look at the Macquarie Island ANARE station, Macquarie Island. It is very near the various New Zealand Outlying Islands, accounted for above.
>>
>>52107088

I don't see the Islas Salvajes in your table lad.

(rightful spanish clay under illegal Barbosa occupation)
>>
>>52107489
I speak french and searched the french internet. Like you I found mentions of the lighthouse but no pictures of it
>>
File: E.jpg (66 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
E.jpg
66 KB, 800x500
>>52108144

pic related :^)
>>
File: Takeshima.jpg (371 KB, 1600x1122) Image search: [Google]
Takeshima.jpg
371 KB, 1600x1122
>>52108181

Merci for looking for the "phare", mon ami, seoul-brother. There is an OLD picture, but not a new one. Perhaps it was destroyed? A mystery.

What can you tell us about the installation on Dokdo/Liancourt rocks? I am most interested in names. I know that some Korean civilians have actually resided there, apart from military.

It is one of the last blanks left in my list! What would you call the "settlement", apart from Dokdo?
>>
>>52108160

Is that one of those goofy North-African things apart from Ceuta/Melilla? No se.

Some time after this thread I'm going to look up the Barbosa meme once and for all, don't know that one either.
>>
>>52108318
Liancourt is the name french explorer gave it but in Korean it's Dokdo and nothing else.
Some fishermen may have used it in the past but due to the geography of the island it isn't really suitable for life.
There's been active korean presence there since after world war 2. First fishermen and later it got expanded with a military base and a bunch of propaganda stuff.
The settlement here is almost purely a political statement in my opinion though there have been rumors of oil presence in the area.
You can visit it by boat from the island of Ulleungdo. It's not really remote at all
>>
File: Earhart_Light.jpg (587 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
Earhart_Light.jpg
587 KB, 1944x2592
Time for some American ABANDONED PLACES.

"Earhart Light"

Howland Island was one of the things we took during guano act, and strengthened leading up to world war II. The female pilot Amelia Earhart, who disappeared, is thought to have tried to make it here. There was a brief guano mine (like so much of pacific), they put up a lighthouse, and that was it.

This brief period of exploitation followed by Fucking Nothing is something that USA has in common with NZ, more than anybody else. NZ's outlying islands tended to have intense periods of sealing until supply was run out. Aus' Heard/Mac experienced a similar occupancy.
>>
File: clipperton-lighthouse.jpg (24 KB, 236x320) Image search: [Google]
clipperton-lighthouse.jpg
24 KB, 236x320
Picture of the Clipperton Lighthouse from here:

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-tyrant-clipperton-island/
>>
File: 2015-04-24_14-14-14-640x404.jpg (75 KB, 640x404) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-24_14-14-14-640x404.jpg
75 KB, 640x404
It may look developed, but it is an (aerial) nuclear test site and Agent Orange burial ground.

Johnston Atoll is where we put all our nasty shit, pretty much. Now there's sort of a cleanup/monitoring effort. The island and nearby ones were basically manmade.

More "active" areas today are Wake Island and Midway Islands, but I'll skip those unless people want to talk about them.
>>
>>52108644

Yes, exactly. Notice how you can't seem to see this structure on google maps (SOUTHEAST SIDE OF ISLAND), other photo angles today, etc. It's very strange and I haven't found a reason why, maybe I just didn't read wiki well enough.

In case you haven't realized, this is a "breadth" exercise for me (on a defined set of things), and I'm not going too deeply into any one thing. so I'm just skimming articles/searching/learning.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%8Eles_du_Salut
This might interest you OP.
It's the french Alcatraz I guess
>>
>>52108364

No. These are unhinhabited tiny isles and reefs in the Atlantic.
>>
just one bumpu. good night /int/ :)
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.